nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi --

so I'm applying to Durham and I'm finding it difficult to decide on a college. Until now I'd been set on St Chad's (I have done a partnership programme with them which makes me more likely to get accepted into Chad's as well as knowing it and thus feeling more comfortable with going there and they've got this whole thing about getting more local students which is great for me personally), but from looking at accomodation it's mainly shared and I am not comfortable with that due to medical reasons. It's also catered which, while I could live with, I would prefer self catered. I've found my main issue is the fact it's shared accomodation and I can't risk it.

So, I've got a question -- which college would be best for self catered and single accomodation? And for anyone in St Chad's at the minute, is a medical reason going to guarantee single accomodation? Also - if you've got experience of shared rooms at Chad's, please share it -- It would make me feel MUCH better (I'm an extreme worrier to say the least).

Thank you!
Supernovas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know much, but I do know that Josephine Butler is 100% ensuite single rooms and all of their accommodation is self catered - only issue is that it's on the hill.

I chose St Cuthbert's Society as not only is it on the Bailey, but there is also two sites for it. The person's field site is self catered and has many single and ensuite rooms. Plus you can choose if you want to be partially catered or not.

I can't give much info on the rest because I've always been invested in staying at St Cuths so I didn't do much research on the rest.
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by K.bower)
I don't know much, but I do know that Josephine Butler is 100% ensuite single rooms and all of their accommodation is self catered - only issue is that it's on the hill.

I chose St Cuthbert's Society as not only is it on the Bailey, but there is also two sites for it. The person's field site is self catered and has many single and ensuite rooms. Plus you can choose if you want to be partially catered or not.

I can't give much info on the rest because I've always been invested in staying at St Cuths so I didn't do much research on the rest.
I'm interested in Cuthbert's but apparently it's really competitive. I'm on the fence about choosing it when I know I can get into Chad's, the only issue being the chance of shared accomodation; if I don't get into Cuthbert's and I'm reallocated to a different one, it'll be a completely wild thing. As for Butler, apparently they randomise flatmates? From what I've read they don't put much into sorting flatmates (whereas Chads is extremely thorough and tries to match you perfectly) and clashing with flatmates would probably ruin the entire experience. (that and, as a resident who lives a few miles from durham and knows the city, i ain't willing to walk all the way from the hill to the city when chad's and cuthberts are a five min walk!)
Supernovas
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nightisdark)
I'm interested in Cuthbert's but apparently it's really competitive. I'm on the fence about choosing it when I know I can get into Chad's, the only issue being the chance of shared accomodation; if I don't get into Cuthbert's and I'm reallocated to a different one, it'll be a completely wild thing. As for Butler, apparently they randomise flatmates? From what I've read they don't put much into sorting flatmates (whereas Chads is extremely thorough and tries to match you perfectly) and clashing with flatmates would probably ruin the entire experience. (that and, as a resident who lives a few miles from durham and knows the city, i ain't willing to walk all the way from the hill to the city when chad's and cuthberts are a five min walk!)
I mean, I'd assume St Cuths isn't that bad as there is two sites. If there is any medical reasons and you have proof, Durham could give you your own room. Idk if it would be at St Chad's though.
ele.green
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What's wrong with being on the hill?

Did you also appply to Oxbridge?
Supernovas
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ele.green)
What's wrong with being on the hill?

Did you also appply to Oxbridge?
Nothing wrong, tbh. I've heard that the hill colleges are more modern and nicer, however I've always liked the history behind the Bailey colleges (plus my unfit self would like to be closer to town.) I was to get reallocated to a hill college i wouldn't mind.

Also, I did apply to Oxford. I applied to Linclon College if you're wondering.
ele.green
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing wrong, tbh. I've heard that the hill colleges are more modern and nicer, however I've always liked the history behind the Bailey colleges (plus my unfit self would like to be closer to town.) I was to get reallocated to a hill college i wouldn't mind.

Also, I did apply to Oxford. I applied to Linclon College if you're wondering.
Oh that's nice. I hope your application goes well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (392)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (301)
43.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise