The Student Room Group

Have I been confirmed?

So I’m 19 and I’ve been brought up a catholic. When I was 13 I got confirmed. I got confirmed for all the wrong reason, I wanted the party and the dress etc.
Six years later, I don’t consider myself a catholic. I don’t believe in the religion, I don’t believe in god the list goes on but I cba.
Anyway, when I got confirmed I chose the name Jessica. I knew that there wasn’t a st Jessica but no one seemed to query it, I chose it after a TV character... anyway because she’s not a saint have I been confirmed? You know when they put that oily stuff on your head and use your confirmation name, surely because they don’t exist I’ve not been confirmed?
Ideally this would be the case, my parents won’t let me stop going to mass when I’m back from uni because I’ve been confirmed, so I’m hoping that actually I haven’t been confirmed...
I’ve not got anything against the religion, people should be able to believe what they want, I just don’t want to be forced to go to church and refusing really isn’t an option...
You were confirmed but that doesn't mean you can't leave the religion if you don't believe in it. If your parents are quacks who are forcing you to go to church then you lose either way. If you convince them you weren't confirmed they'd probably make you get confirmed again.
Your parents can't make you go to mass, you're a fully grown adult capable of making your own decisions - end of.
Original post by Student-95
You were confirmed but that doesn't mean you can't leave the religion if you don't believe in it. If your parents are quacks who are forcing you to go to church then you lose either way. If you convince them you weren't confirmed they'd probably make you get confirmed again.

Haha I wish it was that simple! Literally if I don’t go they will cut me off financially and currently my student loan is that little I can’t survive. Like they don’t understand that I don’t believe in god and waking me up at 8am on the one weekend I’m home is not going to make me want to go to church.... My boyfriend died this week (I didn’t tell my parents he was my boyfriend they thought he was a friend) and my mother actually told me it’s because I don’t go to church when I’m at uni
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Your parents can't make you go to mass, you're a fully grown adult capable of making your own decisions - end of.

I’ve literally tried this one and they have physically dragged me before... I usually tolerate it but my mum made a comment about my boyfriend dying because I don’t go to mass when I’m at uni
Original post by HickeyOrBruise
Haha I wish it was that simple! Literally if I don’t go they will cut me off financially and currently my student loan is that little I can’t survive. Like they don’t understand that I don’t believe in god and waking me up at 8am on the one weekend I’m home is not going to make me want to go to church.... My boyfriend died this week (I didn’t tell my parents he was my boyfriend they thought he was a friend) and my mother actually told me it’s because I don’t go to church when I’m at uni

Well if you're dependant on them then unfortunately you need to follow their rules. Guess you'll just have to suffer through it until you move out.
Original post by Student-95
Well if you're dependant on them then unfortunately you need to follow their rules. Guess you'll just have to suffer through it until you move out.

Literally I’m losing the will to live- I have thought of the way around it tho
Aww crap
What does confirmed mean? :lolwut:
Original post by AppleB
What does confirmed mean? :lolwut:

http://bfy.tw/KSwr
Original post by HickeyOrBruise
I’ve literally tried this one and they have physically dragged me before... I usually tolerate it but my mum made a comment about my boyfriend dying because I don’t go to mass when I’m at uni

If they try to physically drag you, you have every right to phone the police - because they can't do this.

Quick Reply

Latest