Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have these qualifications completed over 3 years in UK college sixth form:

Physics A level: A*
Maths A level: A*
Further maths A level: A*
Chemistry AS: A
Biology AS: A
Geography AS: A

I want to apply to Cambridge to do a degree then probably PhD but I literally can’t decide which one. Highly considering astrophysics(but only problem is label you get given as nerd or whatever. Don’t really want that to be the first impression to a girl in a club you know?). Preferably(and I know this isn’t a pillar to base your career choice upon but still) it has to have a salary of over $100k(moving to America after uni). Thanks guys
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Maybe you'll find a girl while studying astrophysics then you can sit and gaze at the stars every night
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by reubenmate)

I want to apply to Cambridge to do a degree then probably PhD but I literally can’t decide which one. Highly considering astrophysics(but only problem is label you get given as nerd or whatever. Don’t really want that to be the first impression to a girl in a club you know?). Preferably(and I know this isn’t a pillar to base your career choice upon but still) it has to have a salary of over $100k(moving to America after uni). Thanks guys
Well you've now missed the Oxbridge deadline so that's another year gone by...

Posted from TSR Mobile
PhysicsIlove
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Maybe you'll find a girl while studying astrophysics then you can sit and gaze at the stars every night
That’s the thing, I’m not the typical nerd you’re thinking of. I party all the time so I wouldn’t fit in at all with astrophysics
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Well you've now missed the Oxbridge deadline so that's another year gone by...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah not worried about that wanted a year to chill and really pick the right route. Know I’d regret rushing into it in the future
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s the thing, I’m not the typical nerd you’re thinking of. I party all the time so I wouldn’t fit in at all with astrophysics
Even better! Instead of saying you're an astrophysicist, say you look at the sky - then just shrug and continue PARRRRRRRRRRTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYING.

p.s. where can I get those grades
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah not worried about that wanted a year to chill and really pick the right route. Know I’d regret rushing into it in the future
Why has it taken 3 years to get to this stage? Cambridge expects your A-levels to be completed in the standard 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
Even better! Instead of saying you're an astrophysicist, say you look at the sky - then just shrug and continue PARRRRRRRRRRTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYING.
Honestly I’d probably be so ****ed up that they’d think I’m joking. Didn’t even think about that
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
Why has it taken 3 years to get to this stage? Cambridge expects your A-levels to be completed in the standard 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Upon starting college I had aspirations of medicine(thought I can’t really go wrong with that) but then I realised my maths ability really exceeded all of my other abilities so I thought I’d just go full maths and see where it takes me. So dropped Chen and bio and took up maths and further in year 2
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?

p.s. where can I get those grades
In the *****iest college you can imagine. Literally we have 30 in our year and most of them can’t spell
Ak4753
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

With Oxbridge you'd need a reason why it took you 3 years to get those grades though.
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ak4753)
With Oxbridge you'd need a reason why it took you 3 years to get those grades though.
I changed my mind about what I wanted to do. Can’t really have a better reason than that imo
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Upon starting college I had aspirations of medicine(thought I can’t really go wrong with that) but then I realised my maths ability really exceeded all of my other abilities so I thought I’d just go full maths and see where it takes me. So dropped Chen and bio and took up maths and further in year 2
That's fine then :yy:

:party: is on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ak4753
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I changed my mind about what I wanted to do. Can’t really have a better reason than that imo
Fairs
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
That's fine then :yy:

:party: is on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you’re wrong I will cry
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If anyone knows anything, it's Doonesbury. So if you changed subjects, then you completed physics, maths and further maths in 2 years? That would just be taking normal A-levels.
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
If anyone knows anything, it's Doonesbury. So if you changed subjects, then you completed physics, maths and further maths in 2 years? That would just be taking normal A-levels.
Well Doonesbury the gave me his blessing. I took chem bio physics year 1, year 2 dropped bio chem picked up maths and further and carried on with year 2 of physics. Year 3 finished maths and further and picked up geography AS
Guarddyyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
so...

Year 1: AS Chem, AS Bio, AS Physics
Year 2: A2 Physics, AS Maths, AS Further Maths
Year 3: A2 Maths, A2 Further Maths, AS Geography

That's a handful. I think some universities only allow you to enter when you take all the A2s in the same year.
PhysicsIlove
Rep:
?
so...

Year 1: AS Chem, AS Bio, AS Physics
Year 2: A2 Physics, AS Maths, AS Further Maths
Year 3: A2 Maths, A2 Further Maths, AS Geography

That's a handful. I think some universities only allow you to enter when you take all the A2s in the same year.
You’re probably right but I presume in the case of degrees like astrophysics they’re only really concerned with the maths and further maths subjects as they’re the only relevant ones. Physics a level is really just pointless for that degree I mean its just basic maths which I won’t need paired with drawing **** like a diode. But further and maths include functions relevant in astrophysics. Praying this is the case
username3431918
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're worried about getting the 'nerd' label and 'party all the time' I'm not sure why you deserve going to a good university...? Yes, most university students party but at least they're grateful for what they study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (52)
6.1%
Uncertainty around my education (97)
11.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (88)
10.32%
Lack of purpose or motivation (106)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (42)
4.92%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (95)
11.14%
Financial worries (59)
6.92%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.69%
Exposure to negative news/social media (54)
6.33%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
2.93%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (82)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (68)
7.97%

Watched Threads