A*A*A* no idea what to do

I have these qualifications completed over 3 years in UK college sixth form:

Physics A level: A*
Maths A level: A*
Further maths A level: A*
Chemistry AS: A
Biology AS: A
Geography AS: A

I want to apply to Cambridge to do a degree then probably PhD but I literally can’t decide which one. Highly considering astrophysics(but only problem is label you get given as nerd or whatever. Don’t really want that to be the first impression to a girl in a club you know?). Preferably(and I know this isn’t a pillar to base your career choice upon but still) it has to have a salary of over $100k(moving to America after uni). Thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Maybe you'll find a girl while studying astrophysics then you can sit and gaze at the stars every night :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by reubenmate

I want to apply to Cambridge to do a degree then probably PhD but I literally can’t decide which one. Highly considering astrophysics(but only problem is label you get given as nerd or whatever. Don’t really want that to be the first impression to a girl in a club you know?). Preferably(and I know this isn’t a pillar to base your career choice upon but still) it has to have a salary of over $100k(moving to America after uni). Thanks guys

Well you've now missed the Oxbridge deadline so that's another year gone by...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Guarddyyy
Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Maybe you'll find a girl while studying astrophysics then you can sit and gaze at the stars every night :wink:

That’s the thing, I’m not the typical nerd you’re thinking of. I party all the time so I wouldn’t fit in at all with astrophysics
Original post by Doonesbury
Well you've now missed the Oxbridge deadline so that's another year gone by...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah not worried about that wanted a year to chill and really pick the right route. Know I’d regret rushing into it in the future
That’s the thing, I’m not the typical nerd you’re thinking of. I party all the time so I wouldn’t fit in at all with astrophysics

Even better! Instead of saying you're an astrophysicist, say you look at the sky - then just shrug and continue PARRRRRRRRRRTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYING.

p.s. where can I get those grades
Reply 6
Yeah not worried about that wanted a year to chill and really pick the right route. Know I’d regret rushing into it in the future

Why has it taken 3 years to get to this stage? Cambridge expects your A-levels to be completed in the standard 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even better! Instead of saying you're an astrophysicist, say you look at the sky - then just shrug and continue PARRRRRRRRRRTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYING.

Honestly I’d probably be so ****ed up that they’d think I’m joking. Didn’t even think about that
Why has it taken 3 years to get to this stage? Cambridge expects your A-levels to be completed in the standard 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Upon starting college I had aspirations of medicine(thought I can’t really go wrong with that) but then I realised my maths ability really exceeded all of my other abilities so I thought I’d just go full maths and see where it takes me. So dropped Chen and bio and took up maths and further in year 2

p.s. where can I get those grades

In the *****iest college you can imagine. Literally we have 30 in our year and most of them can’t spell
Reply 10

With Oxbridge you'd need a reason why it took you 3 years to get those grades though.
Original post by Ak4753
With Oxbridge you'd need a reason why it took you 3 years to get those grades though.

I changed my mind about what I wanted to do. Can’t really have a better reason than that imo
Reply 12
Upon starting college I had aspirations of medicine(thought I can’t really go wrong with that) but then I realised my maths ability really exceeded all of my other abilities so I thought I’d just go full maths and see where it takes me. So dropped Chen and bio and took up maths and further in year 2

That's fine then :yy:

:party: is on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I changed my mind about what I wanted to do. Can’t really have a better reason than that imo

Fairs
That's fine then :yy:

:party: is on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you’re wrong I will cry
If anyone knows anything, it's Doonesbury. So if you changed subjects, then you completed physics, maths and further maths in 2 years? That would just be taking normal A-levels.
If anyone knows anything, it's Doonesbury. So if you changed subjects, then you completed physics, maths and further maths in 2 years? That would just be taking normal A-levels.

Well Doonesbury the gave me his blessing. I took chem bio physics year 1, year 2 dropped bio chem picked up maths and further and carried on with year 2 of physics. Year 3 finished maths and further and picked up geography AS
so...

Year 1: AS Chem, AS Bio, AS Physics
Year 2: A2 Physics, AS Maths, AS Further Maths
Year 3: A2 Maths, A2 Further Maths, AS Geography

That's a handful. I think some universities only allow you to enter when you take all the A2s in the same year.
so...

Year 1: AS Chem, AS Bio, AS Physics
Year 2: A2 Physics, AS Maths, AS Further Maths
Year 3: A2 Maths, A2 Further Maths, AS Geography

That's a handful. I think some universities only allow you to enter when you take all the A2s in the same year.

You’re probably right but I presume in the case of degrees like astrophysics they’re only really concerned with the maths and further maths subjects as they’re the only relevant ones. Physics a level is really just pointless for that degree I mean its just basic maths which I won’t need paired with drawing **** like a diode. But further and maths include functions relevant in astrophysics. Praying this is the case
If you're worried about getting the 'nerd' label and 'party all the time' I'm not sure why you deserve going to a good university...? Yes, most university students party but at least they're grateful for what they study.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest