The Student Room Group

Parking Charge Notice

Hi All
I just got issued with a parking charge notice at a hospital car park for parking in a staff parking area.
What powers do they have? I believe their powers are limited, as they are not the council.
I can't afford to pay the charge, what can they do?
Original post by -Hugo Boss
I never pay any of them whoever they come from. Just ignore all the letters they eventually give up.

Sometimes they do.

And if they don't, you'll go to court and have to pay 300 quid or summit.

The solution is to try to use their internal appeals process to challenge the PCN. If not, try to come to a payment plan. It is risky to ignore.
Original post by Jayjay2018
Hi All
I just got issued with a parking charge notice at a hospital car park for parking in a staff parking area.
What powers do they have? I believe their powers are limited, as they are not the council.

The carpark is probably managed by an external company, who do have powers regarding parking enforcement on private property. If the charge has been validly issued, then you're going to have to pay it one way or another, regardless of your personal thoughts on the matter. If you can pay it within fourteen days, it will (usually) be half that which is payable later, so it's in your interests to settle this early. Do you have a credit card/overdraft which you can use to settle it? Or a friend or relative who could lend you the money?
Original post by -Hugo Boss
Hahah I have 600 odd tickets per year and when any letter comes write not at this address and return it and the letters stop charges drop most of the companies are not even dvla anyway just private companies

Doubt you have more than 10 parking charges a year. Clearly just another gobshite talking ****.
Short answer - appeal it or pay up.

Whilst the council might not be enforcing it, it usually is just merely a case of a slower legal process and whether they can be bothered to pursue it, theoretically yes they can take you to a court and have a judgement ruled against you which just makes matters worse and affects your credit, then they can take it further to the high court if you still don't pay. It's more effort than it's worth to a lot of private companies but risk it at your peril.

Appeal first, it'll buy you some more time. If you lose and still can't afford it ask for more time to pay.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jayjay2018
Hi All

You deserve the ticket, you pay the ticket.

They may end up taking this to court, then the penalty becomes larger.
How did you get the ticket? Was is physically attached to the car when you got back to it? Or was is sent through the post to the registered keeper citing photographic evidence? If it was the latter then check that you received it within 14 days of the offence. ALL fines using photographic evidence have to be sent to registered keeper within 14 days. Speed cameras are the same. If not then you're in the clear. A lot of these enforcement companies rely on someone to be working on their behalf.... a "grass" for want of a better word.

I had two a few years back from the same car park where someone had taken photos and obviously posted/uploaded them to the parking enforcement company too late. They still sent me the "fines" which were actually dated weeks out of date. Someone not knowing the law would have paid. I told them where to go and why and they replied "As a gesture of goodwill blah blah blah." No... it was because they didn't have a leg to stand on.

The law works both ways. If I'm expected to drive/park perfectly then I expect the paperwork to be issued perfectly... by the letter of the law. They may as well have sent their kids round with a scrawled paper in crayon saying "You owe us £60 mate".
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry to interject in this thread but I've recently received a Parking (not Penalty) Charge Notice for parking at my GP's over 2 hours (frustratingly, this was because of a 30-45 min wait before we could see the GP for a check-up before the kids immunisations).

My brief understandiing (i.e. a few Internet searches) suggests the Penalty Charge Notice is more serious so you'd have to pay whether the other, you could drag the situation out as the parking monitor may not fancy the convuluted journey of a court process. IIRC my brother may have done this when he got a ticket whilst in Manchester - as it's a GP surgery, I may take the hit and pay but wanted advice on the differing PCN's
Reply 8
Original post by Aky786UK
Sorry to interject in this thread but I've recently received a Parking (not Penalty) Charge Notice for parking at my GP's over 2 hours (frustratingly, this was because of a 30-45 min wait before we could see the GP for a check-up before the kids immunisations).

My brief understandiing (i.e. a few Internet searches) suggests the Penalty Charge Notice is more serious so you'd have to pay whether the other, you could drag the situation out as the parking monitor may not fancy the convuluted journey of a court process. IIRC my brother may have done this when he got a ticket whilst in Manchester - as it's a GP surgery, I may take the hit and pay but wanted advice on the differing PCN's

Speak to your surgery to have it removed.

Quick Reply