The Student Room Group

Miserable at uni but unsure what to do

So, I’m a 20 year old 2nd year university student and it’s gotten to the point where even the thought of turning up to a single lecture is overwhelming.

My first year went fine, I got very good grades, made friends and liked where I lived. However, this year, everything seems bleak. I was burgled in my first week back, had a very public panic attack, I hate my new flat, I have no interest in my degree anymore and I’m easily irritated by everyone around me. I don’t sleep, I feel empty in my chest all the time and I just want to be alone, at home, in bed.

It’s easy to say I should drop out as I’m clearly wasting my time and money, however, I don’t see any other available path for me. My anxiety makes holding down any sort of regular job a difficulty at the moment and I can’t identify a single thing I’m good at, apart from getting the odd good grade in my coursework. I have no idea what career path I want to go down and everything seems beyond my (non-existent) skillset. My family does not have the financial means to support me while I seek help for my issues, so taking a few months out without an income, whether it’s a student loan or pay check, is not an option.

Does anybody have any experience with these kinds of dilemmas? What should I do?

Quick Reply