Sue9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I missed Latin GCE (as it was) at school and want to take a GCSE now. How do I go about it?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sue9)
I missed Latin GCE (as it was) at school and want to take a GCSE now. How do I go about it?
Why? A GCSE in Latin has no practical use. You'd be better to just study online on your own, as the only possible use for Latin is personal enjoyment, these days.

Also, it appears that Latin isn't offered in many places anyway.
Sue9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Why? A GCSE in Latin has no practical use. You'd be better to just study online on your own, as the only possible use for Latin is personal enjoyment, these days.

Also, it appears that Latin isn't offered in many places anyway.
Practical use is not the issue. Personal satisfaction is the issue. I must say I find this response patronising, but thanks for replying anyway!
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sue9)
Practical use is not the issue. Personal satisfaction is the issue. I must say I find this response patronising, but thanks for replying anyway!
What I mean is why is doing a GCSE preferable, if it's just for personal satisfaction - which is the only possible reason why someone who's fifty at the youngest?

Note - I'm not saying personal satisfaction isn't a valid reason. That's the primary reason for pretty much everything I've ever done.
Sue9
Rep:
?
What I mean is why is doing a GCSE preferable, if it's just for personal satisfaction - which is the only possible reason why someone who's fifty at the youngest?

Note - I'm not saying personal satisfaction isn't a valid reason. That's the primary reason for pretty much everything I've ever done.
Dear Tootles - yes I am at least fifty, and some! I want to get a GCSE in Latin because I failed it at school and that has rankled with me ever since, despite my BA and my MA. However, I am surprised to have someone questioning my motives. Yes, I'm quite sure that it isn't widely offered and because I really don't know how to set about doing the exam I asked the question on this site. Can you help? Perhaps not.
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A GCSE in Latin has no practical use.
Depends what you do, doesn't it? It's actually got quite a lot of use if you go into e.g. law, medicine, biology, history or classical literature (including up to quite recent times), and will likely improve your command of English and English writing skills wherever you use them
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sue9)
Dear Tootles - yes I am at least fifty, and some! I want to get a GCSE in Latin because I failed it at school and that has rankled with me ever since, despite my BA and my MA. However, I am surprised to have someone questioning my motives. Yes, I'm quite sure that it isn't widely offered and because I really don't know how to set about doing the exam I asked the question on this site. Can you help? Perhaps not.
Haha I'm not questioning your motives so much as just saying the trouble you'd have finding (a) a place that teaches GCSE Latin and (b) does nightschool/online and had no age restrictions is going to be very great - a diminishing return.

I'm not meaning to sound patronizing, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm just saying you're in for a real job of work just finding it, maybe more than the course is worth. I know how you feel though. I had a bad time and was kicked from sixth form, had a breakdown and wound up with a 3rd in my BSc, and this has cost me dearly. So I get where you're coming from.

Have you undertaken in self-study in Latin before?
Sue9
Rep:
?
Haha I'm not questioning your motives so much as just saying the trouble you'd have finding (a) a place that teaches GCSE Latin and (b) does nightschool/online and had no age restrictions is going to be very great - a diminishing return.

I'm not meaning to sound patronizing, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I'm just saying you're in for a real job of work just finding it, maybe more than the course is worth. I know how you feel though. I had a bad time and was kicked from sixth form, had a breakdown and wound up with a 3rd in my BSc, and this has cost me dearly. So I get where you're coming from.

Have you undertaken in self-study in Latin before?
Age restrictions are probably illegal! I hope they are.
I may have trouble finding somewhere that will provide me with the coursework and enable me to sit the exam, which is exactly why I have consulted this site.
I have had none of the trauma you've been through with your education and wish you success in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads