How the structures of proteins are related to the functions

Watch this thread
BlueZebra
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,
I'm trying to write an essay for Biology (A level) about how the structures of proteins are related to their functions and I'm struggling to come up with ideas. Can anyone suggest anything/expand on what I've got?
So far I've got carbohydrates so cellulose and it's use in cell walls.
DNA and the helix shape making it compact for storage.
Enzymes and the specific tertiary structure and enzyme substrate complexes.
Thank you
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Just trying to answer your question where I can.

First of all the structure of proteins depends on their amino acids. The length and thus the sequence of the proteins is determined by the numbers of amino acids. Proteins are known as polypeptides with a peptide chain of 100 amino acids, thus a high recombination possibility exists. Every single recombination is a difference in the structure of proteins. And that has an effect on the function!

The best examples are the enzymes which are responsible for metabolisms. Metabolism is working by the lock-and-key-model. That is to say a metabolism has an own substrate (lock) and an appropriate enzyme (key) which matches to the substrate perfectly. That means only certain enzymes with a fit sturcture can activate certain metabolisms.

Otherwise the structures of proteins have different complexity (primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure) what makes an impact on function too. You are certainly be aware of this. Proteins with a high complexity, as in the tertiary structure of the haemoglobin, have a complex compound for bonds. In terms of the haemoglobin, it is the heme to bind the red blood cells.

Hope that explains everything.
MedicWil
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sophia_7124)
Process of Muscle contraction
Thick filament = myosin PROTEIN
Thin filament = actin PROTEIN

Antibodies made up of chains of amino acid = protein
---> specificty of antobdy depends on variable region formin antigen binding sites
Next time check the dates in the thread. This one died 3 years ago, I know people love zombies but not zombie posts coming back to irritate them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
35.06%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.09%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.77%

Watched Threads