JJrevises
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
At my school, we picked two GCSE options to study throughout Year 9 and 10, with the exams being at the end of Year 10. Currently in Year 10, I really want to amaze my teachers and attain a 9 in GCSE. My predicted grade is a 6 though. Tips would be extremely helpful.
Topics;
Elizabeth
Weimar Germany
Medicine Through Time
The Cold War.
Comment if we are doing any courses together! Also the exam board is Edexcel.
Ellietx1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im my echool we pick 3 options. Im doing history is there any specific topic that you need help on out of the ones you have listed
History_helper.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Knowledge- dates names places (not specified at GCSE I don’t think but at A-level that’s it)
Essay/question answering ability (learn how to do them)
Effectively use knowledge
Learn source questions (generally the hardest for people to learn)
JJrevises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellietx1)
im my echool we pick 3 options. Im doing history is there any specific topic that you need help on out of the ones you have listed
Yes, its mainly on Elizabeth and Medicine Through Time, on the 16 Mark questions and 12 mark questions, they are the only questions that are impossible to answer for me. Specifically, the layout I always get confused and are not sure how to approach them.
Toastiekid
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the exact same topics under edexcel for gcse and got a 9, if you have any questions let me know
JJrevises
Rep:
?
Ok, great!
How did you revise for it? How did you take notes? How did you answer the 16&12 mark questions? Tips and/or tips to get a 9?
JJrevises
Rep:
?
*tricks to getting a 9
M-Holloway
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JJrevises)
At my school, we picked two GCSE options to study throughout Year 9 and 10, with the exams being at the end of Year 10. Currently in Year 10, I really want to amaze my teachers and attain a 9 in GCSE. My predicted grade is a 6 though. Tips would be extremely helpful.
Topics;
Elizabeth
Weimar Germany
Medicine Through Time
The Cold War.
I was getting 6s but got a 9 in the real exam (somehow?). My revision technique was give up and not revise for my last history exam. Seriously though, if you know the content (like I did) but are still getting 5s/6s then the issue is how you answer questions. If you do well with the text book but not in exam situations then content knowledge is the issue. For me the issue was I didn't know how to answer the questions, I solved this by getting it explained to me (tutor but teachers can probably help too) and then I did every single exam question in the book and got them marked. Then I got feedback and redid especially weak questions and stuff like that. Hope that helps. (I did the same topics as you btw)
Toastiekid
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok, great!
How did you revise for it? How did you take notes? How did you answer the 16&12 mark questions? Tips and/or tips to get a 9?
Hey (sorry I didn’t see this, you didn’t quote me:lol:)
I wrote model answers to loads of questions (when I say loads I mean like 25+ for some questions) which I got checked by teachers and reduced to bullet points to memorise meaning that I had all of my content covered well:yep: (and I could generally write a decent essay already)
I made thisq using resources from school which may help you with essay structure for paper 3:woo: some can be applied to other papers too
I just took notes in class which I turned into timelines using my notes and the timeline from the spec.
If you follow the link you’ll find out how
I would advise that you have a general interest in the subject: I read around the subject/watched movies and documentaries about topics we studied. And I’d work on exam technique, there’s a lot online about it and teachers tend to have a load of resources (but I wouldn’t worry about that until year 11 when you’ve done a few mocks)
iamtee
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Topics;
Elizabeth
Weimar Germany
Medicine Through Time
The Cold War.
Learn all question structures by heart! Make flash card of important events and make sure to know the story line well, you don't have to swallow a whole book don't worry too much. I feel like the structure is important to get your point across, but mostly know the events well enough to answer questions perfectly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (28)
28.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
10.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.1%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
26.53%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.04%

Watched Threads