Biteri
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Having trouble with this question. It depicts a slider going down a slope from a height 'h' and then going up a parabola which reaches h then goes down. I would put B as the answer because at the start of the descent, the slider has a maximum gpe and then reaches a max kinetic energy at the bottom of the track ( right before the parabola starts), when it reaches the same height as it started at all its kinetic energy should be transferred to gpe right? So it would have no energy to keep it moving and so should just fall at that point.

The answer is A but I don't understand why! (It never reaches the top of the parabola). Maybe it has something to do with circular motion but I just can't find a worked solution!
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Biteri)
Having trouble with this question. It depicts a slider going down a slope from a height 'h' and then going up a parabola which reaches h then goes down. I would put B as the answer because at the start of the descent, the slider has a maximum gpe and then reaches a max kinetic energy at the bottom of the track ( right before the parabola starts), when it reaches the same height as it started at all its kinetic energy should be transferred to gpe right? So it would have no energy to keep it moving and so should just fall at that point.

The answer is A but I don't understand why! (It never reaches the top of the parabola). Maybe it has something to do with circular motion but I just can't find a worked solution!

Name:  PAT_2012_Q17.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  160.5 KB
If you are talking about this problem, you need to consider circular motion.

For the slider to reach T, the slider needs to move at a certain speed at T. The speed depends on the radius of the circular track according to circular motion.

At T, the minimum speed is given by

weight of slider = mass × centripetal acceleration
 mg = m\dfrac{v^2}{r}

Since the slider will be losing speed when it moves up the circular track, there will be a point when the speed is less than  \sqrt{rg} , it will lose contact with the track as it does not have enough speed to “undergo circular motion”. So it would not reach T.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (549)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (665)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.52%

Watched Threads