*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2019 Interviews discussion Watch

Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by dmaxj)
Hi,

If anyone is interested in having their questions answered by current medics let me know (DM) and I will add you to a group chat. This whole process is quite stressful but a free and genuine advice always calm the nerves.
That's literally the purpose of this entire forum lol?

Also: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2&postcount=63
Last edited by Democracy; 8 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dmaxj)
Hi,

If anyone is interested in having their questions answered by current medics let me know (DM) and I will add you to a group chat. This whole process is quite stressful but a free and genuine advice always calm the nerves.
Democracy And this thread specifically! :laugh: :facepalm:

If you really do want to help, be like @ganfyd, @meddad, @democracy and @nexttime etc. etc. and actually come on more often to actually answer candidates' questions. Don't just ask people to PM you or go off TSR etc. etc.

Epic lurking btw - registered in April 2012, first non-anon post in November 2018!
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
dmaxj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Democracy)
That's literally the purpose of this entire forum lol?

Also: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2&postcount=63
Yes of course, but some people prefer instant messaging. I guess leaving it on here can benefit others in long term. Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dmaxj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Democracy And this thread specifically! :laugh: :facepalm:

If you really do want to help, be like @ganfyd, @meddad, @democracy and @nexttime etc. etc. and actually come on more often to actually answer candidates' questions. Don't just ask people to PM you or go off TSR etc. etc.

Epic lurking btw - registered in April 2012, first non-anon post in November 2018!
TSR is an old friend lol
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dmaxj)
TSR is an old friend lol
:yy: We look forward to your input in the future
Sami.T
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have booked my interview for medicine at Cardiff University for the 22nd of January. I have done this because i know I'm going to have to prepare. but what I want to ask is; what exactly should I do to prepare for the interview? Do i need to purchase any guides?

Thank you all in advance
Anna.Juliet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sami.T)
I have booked my interview for medicine at Cardiff University for the 22nd of January. I have done this because i know I'm going to have to prepare. but what I want to ask is; what exactly should I do to prepare for the interview? Do i need to purchase any guides?

Thank you all in advance
I would highly recommend checking out the MSAG online interview course because its free and covers pretty much all the baseline knowledge you will need for your interviews. I've just got a notebook which I've made loads of notes in from all the videos and that's been really helpful! Some people also say the ISC interview book is good. There are plenty of practice questions on the medic portal website and other resources which you should just familiarise yourself with but most of it is covered in the MSAG course. Definitely research the course style and the city and come up with some reasons why you've chosen X university. Closer to the time keep up to date with all the medical news as it's likely you'll be asked about something. Finally PRACTICE! Whether it's just on your own, with your parents or a teacher who's helped other medical students just practice speaking out loud and confidently.and see if you can organise a mock interview at school so you can get some feedback as well.
Wishing you all the best!
Avery14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sami.T)

Thank you all in advance
You do have quite a lot of time to prepare so don’t stress.

The trick to getting better at interviews is to practice. Apart from having the essential knowledge for example the four fundamental ethical principles (autonomy, Beneficence, non-Maleficence and justice), the roles of doctors (which is not just helping patients), the qualities of a good doctor, current hot medical topics etc. Know about a few common conditions (not in great detail). The rest is simply down to how you articulate your response, and the more you practice the better you get at it.

In my honest opinion you only need to attend a course if you believe you need a mock interview practice. Luckily my school paid for the ISC medical interview course I attended. The course was led by a GP with quite a relatively large class size but I did not benefit from it at all.

So I recommend attending courses led by medical students rather than doctors because medics have been through the process recently and will have done a lot of research prior to their own interview which will still be fresh on their mind.

If you do want to attend any courses try 6med.co.uk interview courses as they offer mock MMI at a decent price, or Mediview.org.uk interview crash courses. The good thing about Mediview is that they give you 2 mock MMIs which is probably what you want and need but for a fraction of the price others charge (I highly recommend it). The medicportal has online resources you can use to practice at home.

The best way to practice alone is to record yourself on your phone or a webcam to see if you do things subconsciously likely play with your hair or fingers etc. Like others have mentioned Practice with friends at school, and your family at home.

Visit the BBC health section often especially the day before or on the day of your interview - you don’t need to memorise everything but just be aware of what’s happening.

KEEP PRACTICING AND GOOD LUCK
Last edited by Avery14; 8 months ago
Sami.T
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Avery14 and Anna.Juliet Thank you both so much for the constructive support!
sachitmehta
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So i received an interview from St Georges yesterday, which i booked on the 12th of December, and today i received an interview invite from Glasgow for the 12th as well. Both say that you cannot change the date of the interview. Now I'm stressing here because i don't wanna let either uni go and i don't know how I should contact either uni to request it to be rescheduled.
I appreciate any help or advice
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
call them.
sachitmehta
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you think they will be able to change it since, and i quote them

'If a candidate is invited to attend an interview, they will be notified via their UCAS track and by email. Unfortunately we cannot process a request for an alternative interview date via UCAS Track. As the Medical School interviews a significant number of applicants within a constrained timetable, they are unable to re-schedule interviews.'

Honestly I really think this is unfair that they force a date on someone and not give the option to change it. Im legit crying inside
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sachitmehta)
Do you think they will be able to change it since, and i quote them

'If a candidate is invited to attend an interview, they will be notified via their UCAS track and by email. Unfortunately we cannot process a request for an alternative interview date via UCAS Track. As the Medical School interviews a significant number of applicants within a constrained timetable, they are unable to re-schedule interviews.'

Honestly I really think this is unfair that they force a date on someone and not give the option to change it. Im legit crying inside
Stop assuming things and overworrying, call both and explain yourself it'll be unprofessional of them to make you decide which one to attend and which to reject.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So i received an interview from St Georges yesterday, which i booked on the 12th of December, and today i received an interview invite from Glasgow for the 12th as well. Both say that you cannot change the date of the interview. Now I'm stressing here because i don't wanna let either uni go and i don't know how I should contact either uni to request it to be rescheduled.
I appreciate any help or advice
Phone them and explain.

They say no changes because all Med Schools get fed up with applicants changing - and leaving early dates half empty. If you have a genuine reason (don't lie) then usually if you give them enough notice usually they can help you in this sort of situation.
sachitmehta
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks for the help guys,

I called them and they said as long as i provide evidence for the interview, they would be able to change the date, i feel relieved really.

thanks again
Avery14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

I called them and they said as long as i provide evidence for the interview, they would be able to change the date, i feel relieved really.

thanks again

thanks again
Great news. Also, just for future reference it’s always best to get admission tutors to confirm such requests in an email.

Good luck with your interviews!
A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My parents booked me on to an MMI circuit for like 135 pounds. Just wondering if it's worth it because today is my last day to cancel and get a refund... What do you think? It's with the medic portal. What is the best way to prepare?
Aisha Y
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, applying for med (pray for me) and got some interview offers - just wondering that if I book an interview later will that impact my likelihood of getting an offer - is it better to book an earlier interview ??

Thanks x
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Aisha Y)
Hi, applying for med (pray for me) and got some interview offers - just wondering that if I book an interview later will that impact my likelihood of getting an offer - is it better to book an earlier interview ??

Thanks x
Wouldn't make a difference, it's not first come first served
Anna.Juliet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi does anyone have any recommendations for any websites or resources to keep up to date with recent medical news?
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%