World cycling bronze medalist goes full TERF after transgender woman wins gold Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
“It’s definitely NOT fair,” Jennifer Wagner, the third-place finisher from Houston, said in response to a tweet from Katie Hopkins.

Hopkins tweeted an image of the three cyclists on the podium with this caption: “For clarity – this was the WOMENS world championships. I repeat. Women’s. Congratulations to the brave faces of silver & bronze. The world is gripped by a febrile madness.”

Carolien van Herrikhuyzen, the silver medalist representing the Netherlands and a friend of McKinnon, disagreed.

“No one is a transgender to steal anyone’s medal,” van Herrikhuyzen wrote. “We had an honest race under UCI rules. If you compete you accept the rules, otherwise, don’t compete. I can only imagine what she had to go through in her life to be where she is now, how hard it is to fit in.”

Wagner snapped back, in a chain of comments over four days. She eventually gave a half-hearted apology after a firestorm of controversy.

McKinnon refused to accept her apology: “She merely apologizes for being caught saying it publicly. She wants to ban trans women from competing.”

McKinnon pointed out that Wagner could face sanctions for allegedly violating the USA Cycling’s policy against harassment for “creating hostile environments or disparaging remarks against people on the basis of gender identity.”

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/not-f...oman-wins-gold

Has there been a fair cycling event, like, ever? Chances are the bitter bronze medalist herself is doping.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The reasons for the segregation of men's and women's sports is physiological, not social. It's got nothing to do with "gender identity" and how you feel. If you are a biological male, you should compete with the men. Otherwise we may as well let able bodied people compete against paraplegics.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could just do away with the whole controversy by having no gender divisions at all. Let men, women and transgender athletes compete all together and see who's the best. Still have rules on doping etc.
S-man10
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
You could just do away with the whole controversy by having no gender divisions at all. Let men, women and transgender athletes compete all together and see who's the best. Still have rules on doping etc.
99% of winners would be men.

Jennifer Wagner, however. is completely right.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
The reasons for the segregation of men's and women's sports is physiological, not social. It's got nothing to do with "gender identity" and how you feel. If you are a biological male, you should compete with the men. Otherwise we may as well let able bodied people compete against paraplegics.
This may make sense for men in women's sport but it does not the other way round. It would be interesting to see in what sports women (if any) could compete at a high level with men in.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by S-man10)
99% of winners would be men.

Jennifer Wagner, however. is completely right.
Only 99%?

That a pre-op transexual is competing against women makes the competition a farce. You might as well open it up to men, it'd be less messy than this.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
This may make sense for men in women's sport but it does not the other way round. It would be interesting to see in what sports women (if any) could compete at a high level with men in.
Motorsports and snooker.
S-man10
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Only 99%?

That a pre-op transexual is competing against women makes the competition a farce. You might as well open it up to men, it'd be less messy than this.
99.9% then?

There might be an event or two where it will be a women winner. But that has more to do with strategy/endurance. When it comes to raw speed/power/strength, woman just aren't as strong as men.
S-man10
Report 11 months ago
Motorsports and snooker.
Snooker maybe.

Interesting you mention motorsports. There still has yet to be a female F1 driver. F1 is one sport where there is no men/women category but even then a female driver just hasn't broken into F1
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I get the impression that this is such a difficult subject, it'll be impossible to make 100% of the participants in women's sport 100% happy.
As Dandaman says, this isn't about a social issue (unlike racial segregation for example). It mostly comes down to testosterone and muscle mass - does male to female transgender have more of those two advantages compared to a regular cis female athlete? If so then of course they'll have an advantage if the same amount of training is applied.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ew-iaaf-rules/

Even cis females may fall foul of some rules that have been brought in regarding testosterone levels in women.

As I said at the start, there's no easy answer and I find myself torn.
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Gymnastics? Diving? Archery? Table tennis? Dressage? I can think of fair few...
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Snooker maybe.

Interesting you mention motorsports. There still has yet to be a female F1 driver. F1 is one sport where there is no men/women category but even then a female driver just hasn't broken into F1
A small number of women are really into cars... an even smaller proportion would want to me it professionally in F1
S-man10
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
A small number of women are really into cars... an even smaller proportion would want to me it professionally in F1
Well, being into car doesn't mean you become an F1 driver, man or woman. Teams care about winning.

Gotta be careful when you say this. Serena williams couldn't even beat some amateur man.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well, being into car doesn't mean you become an F1 driver, man or woman. Teams care about winning.
And sponsorship opportunity’s. If a half decent woman gets the super licence points needed to race in f1, she will grt in over a better male driver I think.

Anyhow next year a new series called Formula W is being launched. It won’t be equivalent to f1.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No, of course, but it’s usually a factor.
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I enjoy watching women gymnastics more than men I like the floor and mixed doubles.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Motorsports and snooker.

So lets do it then.
AngeryPenguin
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
eSports too, if you count that.
username4258166
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well to be fair those other women have a pretty huge advantage in life not being transgender.They can live with this minor disadvantage in their lives.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by RS564)
Well to be fair those other women have a pretty huge advantage in life not being transgender.They can live with this minor disadvantage in their lives.
So because the winner has had a tough life they should be able to take advantage of their significant edge and win medals? You’re also assuming that the others haven’t had things as tough, you know nothing about their lives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads