The Student Room Group

Will my A levels get me onto a law course?

I'm undecided as to what A levels to take, but would biology, psychology and german A levels with a professional programme in law get me onto a law degree course? My backup A level choices are law and modern history, but I don't really know what to pick, any advice appreciated.
Original post by maniccrammer
I'm undecided as to what A levels to take, but would biology, psychology and german A levels with a professional programme in law get me onto a law degree course? My backup A level choices are law and modern history, but I don't really know what to pick, any advice appreciated.

What do you mean by 'professional programme in law?

Those three A levels are excellent choices for law, one hard science and a modern foreign langauge is idea. Don't feel you need to do A level law.

There aren't any necessary A levels for law so you can really do whatever you want. However it would be advisable to do at least one essay subject which you already plan on doing.

Pick whatever you enjoy the most :smile:
Law courses dont usually require any specific subjects at a-level.
But essay subjects are usually good for law.
Original post by Reality Check
What do you mean by 'professional programme in law?

Those three A levels are excellent choices for law, one hard science and a modern foreign langauge is idea. Don't feel you need to do A level law.

It's a programme run by the sixth form alongside A levels, it's guidance for careers in law, speakers come in, possible work experience, that sort of thing. I've heard that essay based subjects are welcomed, I do GCSE History and am mildly interested in Modern History A level but it's lower on the list than the other three in terms of what I want to do
In England you need a law A level to do a law degree for the easiest route. Pretty sure most universities want you to have prior knowledge so they will want you to have done it atA level and may even chose someone over you who has
It's a programme run by the sixth form alongside A levels, it's guidance for careers in law, speakers come in, possible work experience, that sort of thing. I've heard that essay based subjects are welcomed, I do GCSE History and am mildly interested in Modern History A level but it's lower on the list than the other three in terms of what I want to do

Oh, OK - that law programme sounds a good idea. Your subjects are fine. And bear in mind that applicants with just sciences tend to do as well as those with humanities, so really anything goes.
Reply 7
Original post by History_helper.
In England you need a law A level to do a law degree for the easiest route. Pretty sure most universities want you to have prior knowledge so they will want you to have done it atA level and may even chose someone over you who has

Not true in the slightest.

No, this is totally wrong and unhelpful. No university requires A level law: most are equivocal about whether or not you take it, and some are quite happy if you specifically don't. The idea that a university would choose someone with A level law over someone who doesn't have it is laughable.

I hope your history help is better than your university course advice :smile:
I hope you understand that I’ve looked into it and read that they prefer you to have a law A-level; in the same way they rather you do triple science at high school before doing your A-levels in a science.

Just because I’m introducing new information into your life doesn’t mean it’s wrong!

And yes it’s going fine, my students are very much improving because of me.
I hope you understand that I’ve looked into it and read that they prefer you to have a law A-level; in the same way they rather you do triple science at high school before doing your A-levels in a science.

Just because I’m introducing new information into your life doesn’t mean it’s wrong!

You are making this up. Whether or not to take law A level is widely discussed by universities and they absolutely do no say what you are stating. Please don't spread false information. People might make real life decisions based on gossip.

Quick Reply

Latest