zooxanthellae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Whilst learning the cell cycle, I have been taught that the cell contains 2 centrioles.

However, in all the diagrams there seem to be 4 centrioles contained in 2 centrosomes which move to the poles in prophase.

Does this mean that there are usually only 2 centrioles contained in 1 centrosome during interphase, but they are duplicated for cell division?!

I’m slightly confused and would appreciate any help.
sea urchin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Centrosome = the entire organelle. It contains 2 centrioles
Like other organelles, centrosomes replicate during replication. The centrosome replicates BEFORE mitosis takes place, at the S phase of the cell cycle. The centrosomes then migrate to opposite poles DURING mitosis, in prophase, and are part of the spindle apparatus that makes separation of chromosomes in anaphase possible.
zooxanthellae
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much!!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sea urchin)
Centrosome = the entire organelle. It contains 2 centrioles
Like other organelles, centrosomes replicate during replication. The centrosome replicates BEFORE mitosis takes place, at the S phase of the cell cycle. The centrosomes then migrate to opposite poles DURING mitosis, in prophase, and are part of the spindle apparatus that makes separation of chromosomes in anaphase possible.
Almost. The centrosome acts as the microtubule organising centre, MTOC, which focusses the spindle. The centrosome replicates during interphase and migrates to the poles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads