The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Unhappy with the college I’ve applied to

Hello,
Sorry to be generic, but I fear that I have chosen the wrong college and that I will be miserable there. Admittedly, I didn’t put enough effort into choosing the college and, as I have just received an offer there for Japanese Studies, I’ve looked at Grey College, the college I have applied to, in more detail and I’m very concerned about the accommodation.
I don’t know if this is just a me thing, and I know this sounds completely pathetic, but the room I am in has a big effect on my mood, and I can’t deal with having a sink and a desk that is far too small in an already cramped and ugly-looking room. The accommodation at other colleges I’ve looked at look so much better, but the pictures of the Grey College accommodation I’ve seen give off an unpleasant vibe. I plan to study a lot in my room rather than going to the library, and the appearance of the room will prevent me from being able to study there as I fear that I will feel miserable in it. This sounds strange, but I used to be unable to study and felt miserable in my own bedroom because I couldn’t tolerate the yellow walls, and I feel happier in it now that I’ve painted the walls. So, the appearance of the room really is important. I also wanted to have an en-suite, as I feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with other people, and I didn’t take accommodation into account when I chose Grey College - I chose it because it seemed one of the most arty. For the same reason, I would feel completely uncomfortable sharing a room as I need my space. I know most of you will think the Grey College accommodation is fine and that I’m exaggerating, but I really don’t like the look at it at all.
If it is possible that I can change college preference, which one should I choose? To give a little more information, I would prefer to be self-catered. I feel better in modern rooms and I feel that perhaps Josephine Butler has rooms I would feel more comfortable in. Sorry if this sounds very strange! I know there’s a chance I won’t be allocated there anyway (or go to Durham in the first place), but I’m just really worried about this, and, as I will be in my room a lot, the accommodation matters more to me than it would to most people. Also, sorry if I am coming across as rude!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by soundwaves
Hello,
Sorry to be generic, but I fear that I have chosen the wrong college and that I will be miserable there. Admittedly, I didn’t put enough effort into choosing the college and, as I have just received an offer there for Japanese Studies, I’ve looked at Grey College, the college I have applied to, in more detail and I’m very concerned about the accommodation.
I don’t know if this is just a me thing, and I know this sounds completely pathetic, but the room I am in has a big effect on my mood, and I can’t deal with having a sink and a desk that is far too small in an already cramped and ugly-looking room. The accommodation at other colleges I’ve looked at look so much better, but the pictures of the Grey College accommodation I’ve seen give off an unpleasant vibe. I plan to study a lot in my room rather than going to the library, and the appearance of the room will prevent me from being able to study there as I fear that I will feel miserable in it. This sounds strange, but I used to be unable to study and felt miserable in my own bedroom because I couldn’t tolerate the yellow walls, and I feel happier in it now that I’ve painted the walls. So, the appearance of the room really is important. I also wanted to have an en-suite, as I feel uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with other people, and I didn’t take accommodation into account when I chose Grey College - I chose it because it seemed one of the most arty. For the same reason, I would feel completely uncomfortable sharing a room as I need my space. I know most of you will think the Grey College accommodation is fine and that I’m exaggerating, but I really don’t like the look at it at all.
If it is possible that I can change college preference, which one should I choose? To give a little more information, I would prefer to be self-catered. I feel better in modern rooms and I feel that perhaps Josephine Butler has rooms I would feel more comfortable in. Sorry if this sounds very strange! I know there’s a chance I won’t be allocated there anyway (or go to Durham in the first place), but I’m just really worried about this, and, as I will be in my room a lot, the accommodation matters more to me than it would to most people. Also, sorry if I am coming across as rude!

Have you had a look in person, as sometimes pictures can be completely different to the real thing? If you still can't stand the idea of Grey College, have a look at possible alternative options and see if there is a chance to change.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Do you have any preferences for other colleges at the minute? I think you can still change your preference on UCAS, allocation isn't until February I think.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
Have you had a look in person, as sometimes pictures can be completely different to the real thing? If you still can't stand the idea of Grey College, have a look at possible alternative options and see if there is a chance to change.

I’ve booked a Grey College tour which is in December so I can have a look then, I didn’t go to any open days and it was a last-minute decision to decide to apply to Durham. You’re probably right, but I’ve been thinking a lot, and I really don’t want to be catered, as I have dietary requirements (severe nut allergy and a vegan) and my social anxiety causes me to be uncomfortable eating in front of people, especially a whole room of people. My post probably sounds so ridiculous but there are times I can’t leave my room due to my social anxiety and I would like the option of staying in my room on a bad day instead of always having to go elsewhere to study.
Reply 4
Original post by nightisdark
Do you have any preferences for other colleges at the minute? I think you can still change your preference on UCAS, allocation isn't until February I think.

From the research I’ve done today, I’d prefer to go to Josephine Butler as it’s self-catered, more modern and the accommodation seems to be exactly what I’m looking for, really wish I’d chosen it instead. I’ll keep researching though as I don’t want to make any more rash decisions I may regret!
Original post by soundwaves
From the research I’ve done today, I’d prefer to go to Josephine Butler as it’s self-catered, more modern and the accommodation seems to be exactly what I’m looking for, really wish I’d chosen it instead. I’ll keep researching though as I don’t want to make any more rash decisions I may regret!

Oh definitely! From what I've read you have until they begin allocations which is in February, so you have loads of time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest