The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you donate?
Yep, I've donated 3 times when I was 17. I havn't been able to go recently because I've got a thyroid problem. I've recently had a tattoo as well so that will probably mean a long wait until I give again :frown:
Why?
My cousin had Leaukemia when she was 10 years old, and it was only blood transfusions that kept her going. Feel like I wanted to help other people in the same way.
Do you try and get others to donate? How's this going?
Yes, I have encouraged my mates to go but none seem very intrested.
Any interesting stories?
Yep, the first time I gave blood the man next to me was giving for his 50th time and we got chatting. He absolutely loved donating and told me loads of stories about it.
Aww but I'm really scared of needles! I feel so nauseous after..Are you sure? Maybe your veins are plentiful and pulsating and I'll have to get my arm squeezed really tightly..How much do you give? I don't know much about blood donation..I would love to though.
Reply 62
Do you donate? Yes, as regularly as I can
Why? Why not? Doesn't take long, get a free biscuit and it'll hopefully do some good.
Do you try and get others to donate? How's this going? Not really. I mention it in passing or if I'm going, but I would be wary of being seen to pressure anyone on any health-related matter.
Any interesting storied? Especially from a first time. Nah, it's all quite sedate really.
ducky_72
I would, but I know it's just a front for a secret vampire conspiracy.

That is the reason my friend Jon gives for not going. The real reason is he don't like needles.

I have given three times now, I have recruited 1 friend once, and got 2 friends coming next time I go :smile:
jernobyl
Probably not what you want to hear, but the needles they use for blood donation are bigger and wider, mainly because they want you in and out as fast as possible.

That's actually true, though donating blood hurts less than a blood test (so I am told).

If you "fail" the blood iron test, where they put a drop of your blood in a specially made solution and make sure it sinks, they take a blood sample to run through an analysing machine, and I'm told from someone who's had it that it hurts more the donation itself. I asked the nurse about this and she gave me some reason to do with the needle being smaller so it stings more or something. Not many people have to do this though, don't worry!

Jay_K
can i get paid for it?

No and there's a very good reason why not... this is because the tests done on your blood for diseases are quite brief (they have to be, otherwise your actual donation will have gone off by the time the results come back). Therefore they have to rely a lot on the questionnaire you fill in beforehand to decide whether you're suitable to give blood. If you're paying for someone to give blood you can't be sure they're going to fill out the questionnaire honestly so you can't be sure their donation is going to be safe.

Do you donate? Yes
Why?
Dad does and he encouraged me to come along. And it just feels nice, y'know?
Do you try and get others to donate? How's this going? If it ever comes up in conversation I try and encourage them to if they don't already. Haven't got to the point of actually dragging them to the donation centre yet though.
Any interesting stories? Not really... well my third (attempted) time they poked for about 5 minutes and called the senior nurse over and still couldn't get the blood to come out, and so gave up. The other three times I've been fine and, ummm, "complimented" (if that's the right word) on the speed of my donation by the nurses. ("Ooh, you're going at flow 6/7, you're going really well.")
Reply 65
Do you donate? Yes, 4 so far and I need to go again soon
Why? It's helping people and it's sorta fun in a weird way. It's not everyday you get a nurse to drain your arm.
Do you try and get others to donate? Yeah definatly, I don't like going alone and I have alot of friends who've expressed an interest in donating but never make the effort to go until I ask if they want to come
Any interesting stories? Especially from a first time. Er first time I actually threw up. That was pretty embarrasing. Apart from that none. I always get a comment on how dark my blood is, it's somthing to do with being A+ aparently.
Reply 66
I'm planning on donating for the first time on the 29th. I've always planned to but never got around to it. This may be a silly question but where will they be taking the blood from i.e. my forearm or upper arm? I'm asking as I want to know if I may make it easier for them by wearing a t-shirt etc.
Reply 67
I've never donated but I've been saying for ages that I will. I'm scared though lol
I haven't yet due to anemia, weight being too low and other health probs.
But I'm able to now and I plan to before I go to Asia in the summer cause after the shots & being in the jungle I don't think I'll be eligible.
Reply 69
Hey I gave blood for the first time today as well :biggrin:

Strange sense of pride stays with you much longer than the discomfort.

I loathe blood tests but had promised someone I would try and give blood as have always wanted to. It wasn't exactly great fun but it wasn't terrible and the biccy and sense of selflessness afterwards made it worth it.

EVERYONE GIVE BLOOD!

P.S. Emerald they take it from the crook of your elbow (i.e. the other side of your elbow). Not from the same place as they do injections.
Reply 70
i would but i dont know if they would want it - drug user, smoker, drinker.
Reply 71
Reblet
Hey I gave blood for the first time today as well :biggrin:

Strange sense of pride stays with you much longer than the discomfort.

I loathe blood tests but had promised someone I would try and give blood as have always wanted to. It wasn't exactly great fun but it wasn't terrible and the biccy and sense of selflessness afterwards made it worth it.

EVERYONE GIVE BLOOD!

P.S. Emerald they take it from the crook of your elbow (i.e. the other side of your elbow). Not from the same place as they do injections.

cheers:biggrin: Just have to try and make sure I remember as every other time I've said I'll go I've ended up forgetting and turning up too late.
Emerald
I'm planning on donating for the first time on the 29th. I've always planned to but never got around to it. This may be a silly question but where will they be taking the blood from i.e. my forearm or upper arm? I'm asking as I want to know if I may make it easier for them by wearing a t-shirt etc.

A vampire bites into your neck and spits the blood into a pan.
Reply 73
Good on you for trying Emerald :biggrin: Hope you manage to do it at some point - it is an amazing feeling. There are very few other ways to save lives.

To all those who can't donate - I'm really sorry :frown: I was worried I wouldn't be able to and my mum found out she can't. But one of my best friend had loooads of blood tranfusions when she had leukemia and my nan has had looooads too. If it wasn't for brave people across the country donating a pint each they wouldn't be around today. It's a way of saying thank you.

I know it may sound cold to all of you with "needle phobias" but unless you genuinely faint/throw up you haven't got one. You're just nervous which is perfectly natural. I guarentee that if you went to give blood after the nerves subside it's soooo much better than a blood test. These nurses are highly trained and have tons of experience so it's just a fairly unpleasant two seconds as they put the needle in, five-ten minutes of waiting and relaxing and then one second of the removing the needle. Not a big deal really. I could claim to have a "needle phobia" as I've had more blood tests than I care to count and dread every one in the same way. You just need to bite the bullet. Best way to conquer a fear is to confront it. :biggrin: Go ooooon.
Reply 74
Reblet
Good on you for trying Emerald :biggrin: Hope you manage to do it at some point - it is an amazing feeling. There are very few other ways to save lives.

To all those who can't donate - I'm really sorry :frown: I was worried I wouldn't be able to and my mum found out she can't. But one of my best friend had loooads of blood tranfusions when she had leukemia and my nan has had looooads too. If it wasn't for brave people across the country donating a pint each they wouldn't be around today. It's a way of saying thank you.

I know it may sound cold to all of you with "needle phobias" but unless you genuinely faint/throw up you haven't got one. You're just nervous which is perfectly natural. I guarentee that if you went to give blood after the nerves subside it's soooo much better than a blood test. These nurses are highly trained and have tons of experience so it's just a fairly unpleasant two seconds as they put the needle in, five-ten minutes of waiting and relaxing and then one second of the removing the needle. Not a big deal really. I could claim to have a "needle phobia" as I've had more blood tests than I care to count and dread every one in the same way. You just need to bite the bullet. Best way to conquer a fear is to confront it. :biggrin: Go ooooon.

Tooooooooo many ooooooooooos.
Oh and for all your bandage collectors out there, you get a really nice long bandage put on your arm afterwards. I've got four so far :smile: which actually have come in handy for varying reasons lol
Reply 76
I gave blood for the first time a week ago today. Was terrified before I went in, and my friend was all 'Don't worry, it doesn't hurt unless they can't find your vein'. As soon as I lay down and they checked over my arms, I heard 'Ooh, we can't find a vein!'.
Eventually they decided just to go for it; didn't feel a thing, and wasn't in the least ill afterwards - it was like it'd never happened. Another friend collapsed and had to go into hospital though - oops.
cpj1987
didn't feel a thing, and wasn't in the least ill afterwards - it was like it'd never happened. Another friend collapsed and had to go into hospital though - oops.

Oh dear lol, maybe it was to do with something not related to the blood donation though huh :wink: ye :wink: ?
Reply 78
Emerald

It tends to be from the vein on the inner bit of your elbow, so if you hold your arm palm up, it's the vein at the elbow joint. T-shirt would be a good idea.
I haven't. They wouldn't let me with my diabetic blood!:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending