How good is Nottingham University for Law?

Watch
Ryan Nordan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, Im studying A levels in English Literature, History and Economics and am predicted 3 A*s. I want to study Law and Nottingham is my first choice currently. However, I keep being told how I 'could do better'. However, I didn't think I would fit in at Oxbridge and London is too far away from where I live (North East-Hartlepool). I have also applied for Bristol and Durham so I feel I have picked the best three universities after Oxbridge and in London for my subject. I am put off Durham currently due to its stereotypes of posh students and the small size of its city.

I just wanted to gauge opinion on how good Nottingham Law actually is. Will it give me the chance to progress into a Magic Circle firm? And how far away is it from universities like Durham, where I have also applied? Would it be worth going there instead? Thank you for any feedback
stephanetene
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ryan Nordan)
Hi, Im studying A levels in English Literature, History and Economics and am predicted 3 A*s. I want to study Law and Nottingham is my first choice currently. However, I keep being told how I 'could do better'. However, I didn't think I would fit in at Oxbridge and London is too far away from where I live (North East-Hartlepool). I have also applied for Bristol and Durham so I feel I have picked the best three universities after Oxbridge and in London for my subject. I am put off Durham currently due to its stereotypes of posh students and the small size of its city.

I just wanted to gauge opinion on how good Nottingham Law actually is. Will it give me the chance to progress into a Magic Circle firm? And how far away is it from universities like Durham, where I have also applied? Would it be worth going there instead? Thank you for any feedback
I do exact same subjects and I am also applying for notts law lol, from my own research it seems a very good law school and you are probably right that it is one of the best outside London and oxbridge for law
Ryan Nordan
Rep:
?
(Original post by stephanetene)
I do exact same subjects and I am also applying for notts law lol, from my own research it seems a very good law school and you are probably right that it is one of the best outside London and oxbridge for law
It does seem to definitely be a top 10 law school. Just wanting some comments from people who have studied there and those whom have an insight into the university! Where are you applying too apart from Nottingham? Is it your first choice?
stephanetene
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It does seem to definitely be a top 10 law school. Just wanting some comments from people who have studied there and those whom have an insight into the university! Where are you applying too apart from Nottingham? Is it your first choice?
Yeah it’ll be interesting for me to read too since I have had similar questions. I’m also applying for Durham ucl lse and warwick and I’d say notts is most likely my first choice other than ucl but that and lse are both extremely optimistic applications
Anonymous ! :)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Alright I don't usually comment here but its 3am and I should probably do work for my seminar in 6hrs, but I am a current year 1 student at Nottingham studying LLB Law so I may be a bit biased, but in my opinion, it's arguable the best law school after oxbridge, alright you may want to argue how lse, ucl etc are better but if you look at the graduate statistics, Nottingham is often ranked top 4 for number of graduates being recruited by the best firms. If you have seen those charts, you can notice that Bristol comes after Nottingham, you may be dissuaded by relatively 'poor' local rankings but you need to know, Nottingham currently is focusing on expanding globally, the law school is top 40 in the world, a lot of money is going into various departments recently so, without a doubt, Nottingham will just grow stronger over the next decade; local UK rankings are not that reliable and rankings in general factor in some redundant points, like how one of the place LSE out of the top 10 for economics..... Nottingham actually was my insurance choice and I rejected Bristol to come here and choose Notts over LSE, but anyway, so I don't digress too much, Nottingham has arguable the best campus, sports facilities, students union and more in the UK (arguable EU). It is very much a student city, everything is pretty cheap and it's close to London too, with the campus being close to the city and very convenient transport links. Also keep in mind, our law school is relatively large (3x the size of LSE law school) which is a good thing, and in the first week alone, 4 out of 5 magic circle firms have come for graduate recruitment and give presentations. Ultimately, achieving a 2:1 or better is essential, and personally, I love it here, and if you are capable of coming, I am sure you won't regret it. Anyway, good luck, hope I've helped, I'll get back onto working on my seminar work.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its ****ing good lol.
Ryan Nordan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous ! :))
Alright I don't usually comment here but its 3am and I should probably do work for my seminar in 6hrs, but I am a current year 1 student at Nottingham studying LLB Law so I may be a bit biased, but in my opinion, it's arguable the best law school after oxbridge, alright you may want to argue how lse, ucl etc are better but if you look at the graduate statistics, Nottingham is often ranked top 4 for number of graduates being recruited by the best firms. If you have seen those charts, you can notice that Bristol comes after Nottingham, you may be dissuaded by relatively 'poor' local rankings but you need to know, Nottingham currently is focusing on expanding globally, the law school is top 40 in the world, a lot of money is going into various departments recently so, without a doubt, Nottingham will just grow stronger over the next decade; local UK rankings are not that reliable and rankings in general factor in some redundant points, like how one of the place LSE out of the top 10 for economics..... Nottingham actually was my insurance choice and I rejected Bristol to come here and choose Notts over LSE, but anyway, so I don't digress too much, Nottingham has arguable the best campus, sports facilities, students union and more in the UK (arguable EU). It is very much a student city, everything is pretty cheap and it's close to London too, with the campus being close to the city and very convenient transport links. Also keep in mind, our law school is relatively large (3x the size of LSE law school) which is a good thing, and in the first week alone, 4 out of 5 magic circle firms have come for graduate recruitment and give presentations. Ultimately, achieving a 2:1 or better is essential, and personally, I love it here, and if you are capable of coming, I am sure you won't regret it. Anyway, good luck, hope I've helped, I'll get back onto working on my seminar work.
Thank you for such a detailed report! Think I’m going to firm Nottingham- your advice has helped.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Not a law student but ive looked at the law employability info.
Job prospects wise: Oxford is no1, Cambridge is no2, then theres about 10-15 universities magic circle firms recruite fairly equally from: Nottingham, bristol and Durham are all target schools. What u do at University will matter more than your choice of univesity if u go to a 'target' uni. The only way u could really increase your chances dramatically is go to oxford...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (238)
61.03%
No (81)
20.77%
Not sure (71)
18.21%

Watched Threads