B1430 – School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (Amendment) Bill 2018

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1430 – School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (Amendment) Bill 2018, TSR Government
A
BILL
TO

amend the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 as to make provision for the creation of new selective and grammar schools

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1(X)Definitions
(1) All terms are to be defined as such in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.

PART I
GENERAL

2(X)Amendments to the School Standards and Framework Act 1998
(1) The School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (“SSFA 1998”) is to be amended as follows.
(2) Section 104, subsection (1) of the SSFA 1998 is to be amended to read the following:-
(X) The Secretary of State may, by order, designate a maintained school as a grammar school for the purposes of this Chapter, if the maintained school is able to meet prescribed criteria as determined by the Secretary of State on a case-by-case basis.
(2) Section 104, subsection (6) of the SSFA 1998 is to be amended to read the following:-
(X) In this section “maintained school” includes, in relation to any time before the appointed day—
(X) (X) (a) a county or voluntary school, or
(X) (X) (b) a grant-maintained school,
(X) within the meaning of the Education Act 1996.

PART II
CITATION AND COMMENCEMENT

3(X)Citation and Commencement:
(1) This act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This act will come into force upon the 1st of September 2019.
(3) This act may be cited as the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (Amendment) Bill 2018

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
In order to complement the Department for Education’s Ministerial Report, this Bill removes the restriction surrounding the creation of new selective grammar schools.

Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CatusStarbright PetrosAC Would you like to ‘hold this government to account’ by debating our latest bill? I think it would be a much more constructive and productive way than asking for PMQ or repeating the old ‘when are we going to see the budget’ question.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
CatusStarbright PetrosAC Would you like to ‘hold this government to account’ by debating our latest bill? I think it would be a much more constructive and productive way than asking for PMQ or repeating the old ‘when are we going to see the budget’ question.
This bill has been on my to-do list - I try and post on most pieces in the House, if not all.

I am for the expansion of grammar schools, so I am favourable to this bill if it facilitiates that.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
This bill has been on my to-do list - I try and post on most pieces in the House, if not all.

I am for the expansion of grammar schools, so I am favourable to this bill if it facilitiates that.
Great!
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why not make definitions part I, why stick with only 2 unnecessary lines when you can pad with a third?
Actually make that only 4 lines of padding when you can have 5 because the definition is the dumbest I have ever seen "we are going to define everything as it is already defined in the bill"
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.

The restrictions on selectivity harm the children of the working poor. I agree with the Rt. Hon member above that we need to expand section 1 albeit 'dumbest' is not appropriate parliamentry language.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads