psycholeo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Excuse if my Latex doesn't work

Prove

\sum_{r=1}^n cos(r\theta)$$ = $$\frac{cos(0.5(n+1)\theta)(sin(  0.5n\theta)}{sin(0.5\theta)}
Adacic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just copy and paste
psycholeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adacic)
Just copy and paste
I did I copied and pasted it from LaTeX and it didn't work
Adacic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Σ d
Idk
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by psycholeo)

$$\sum_{r=1}^n cos(r\theta)$$ = $$\frac{cos(0.5(n+1)\theta)(sin( 0.5n\theta)}{sin(0.5\theta)}$$
Use [t e x] and [/ t e x] without the spaces around the whole thing and ditch the dollar signs.
psycholeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Use [t e x] and [/ t e x] without the spaces around the whole thing and ditch the dollar signs.
Thanks
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 2 years ago
Thanks
np.

Additionally, if you make your first command "\displaystyle" the typset is slightly larger, and the limits on the summation will be above and below the sigma, rather than after it.

Anyhow, to the question itself.

Have you made any progress/working?
psycholeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
np.

Additionally, if you make your first command "\displaystyle" the typset is slightly larger, and the limits on the summation will be above and below the sigma, rather than after it.

Anyhow, to the question itself.

Have you made any progress/working?
No i'm unsure of where to start in all honesty
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try considering the sum of [cos(Rx) + isin(Rx)] from 1 to n, using exponentials.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Prove

\sum_{r=1}^n cos(r\theta)$$ = $$\frac{cos(0.5(n+1)\theta)(sin(  0.5n\theta)}{sin(0.5\theta)}
It's easy to see that you are essentially summing up the real parts of complex numbers numbers with magnitude 1.

So if you denote \cos \theta + \mathbf{i} \cos \theta = e^{\mathbf{i} \theta}, and also note De Moivre's Theorem, then we have that:

$\begin{align*} \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \cos (r \theta)  = \sum_{r=1}^n \Re (\cos r \theta + \mathbf{i} \sin r \theta) & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n \cos r\theta + \mathbf{i} \sin r\theta \right) \\ & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n (\cos  \theta + \mathbf{i} \sin \theta)^r \right) \\ & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n (e^{\mathbr{i}\theta})^r \right) \end{align*}$

Can you notice what sort of series this is, hence finish it off from there?

N.B. \Re(z) denotes \mathrm{Re}(z) which is the real part of the complex number z.
psycholeo
Rep:
?
How would I do that? Sorry am really confused
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How would I do that? Sorry am really confused
Which part confuses you?
Do you understand what I’ve written?
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
It's easy to see that you are essentially summing up the real parts of complex numbers numbers with magnitude 1.

So if you denote \cos \theta + \mathbf{i} \cos \theta = e^{\mathbf{i} \theta}, and also note De Moivre's Theorem, then we have that:

$\begin{align*} \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \cos (r \theta)  = \sum_{r=1}^n \Re (\cos r \theta + \mathbf{i} \sin r \theta) & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n \cos r\theta + \mathbf{i} \sin r\theta \right) \\ & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n (\cos  \theta + \mathbf{i} \sin \theta)^r \right) \\ & = \Re \left( \sum_{r=1}^n (e^{\mathbr{i}\theta})^r \right) \end{align*}$

Can you notice what sort of series this is, hence finish it off from there?

N.B. \Re(z) denotes \mathrm{Re}(z) which is the real part of the complex number z.
Never seen that R notation before
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
It's somewhat a TeX thing (i.e. that notation is what you get using \Re in TeX) and I have to admit I don't particularly like it myself.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...maginary-parts
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In addition to what DFranklin said, I also admit that I don't particularly like it, and simply used it here because I'm lazy to put \mathrm{Re} everywhere as opposed to just \Re when typesetting.
username4240292
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you mean you aren't familiar with taking real/imaginary parts or complex numbers in general, there's a way to get it without using them, but it's probably easier with them.
3pointonefour
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ftfy)
If you mean you aren't familiar with taking real/imaginary parts or complex number in general, there's a way to get it without using them, but it's probably easier with them.
I meant I've never seen that fancy R notation used to denote Re(z). But I know what Re(z) and Im(z) is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (66)
27.5%
No - I have already returned home (26)
10.83%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
21.25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (23)
9.58%
No - I live at home during term anyway (74)
30.83%

Watched Threads