The Student Room Group

How to go into politics

I've been told I'm naturally a great speakers, and I have really good ideas. But I don't know where I start....

I'm thinking of joining the Labour party, but not sure if they would want me as a lot of my views go against theirs. I also don't support a lot of their MPs.

I've been told I could do something at uni, but I'm not convinced I'll get the grades I need. I struggle in subjects like science and maths (currently doing GCSE) which think might make me more likely to have to go to college. I take Sociology, History, Computer Science, BTEC Business. I did my english language and got a 7.

I know you have to have some kind of life experience, so thinking of the police, but what puts me off is your supposed to be impartial, and I am very politically vocal and would want to be politically active.

Any ideas? I emailed the local MP asking for work experience but I never heard anything. I've also tried setting up political platforms on Twitter but not got any members, nothing like that

Thanks
Original post by qwertyK
I've been told I'm naturally a great speakers, and I have really good ideas. But I don't know where I start....

I'm thinking of joining the Labour party, but not sure if they would want me as a lot of my views go against theirs. I also don't support a lot of their MPs.

I've been told I could do something at uni, but I'm not convinced I'll get the grades I need. I struggle in subjects like science and maths (currently doing GCSE) which think might make me more likely to have to go to college. I take Sociology, History, Computer Science, BTEC Business. I did my english language and got a 7.

I know you have to have some kind of life experience, so thinking of the police, but what puts me off is your supposed to be impartial, and I am very politically vocal and would want to be politically active.

Any ideas? I emailed the local MP asking for work experience but I never heard anything. I've also tried setting up political platforms on Twitter but not got any members, nothing like that

Thanks

If you want to get into politics, doing a degree is usually quite useful, whether that be an international relations, politics, economics or law degree, these can all be very useful. It is true that people tend to prefer politicians with 'life experience', although this isn't the rule, as Mhairi Black (of the SNP) was elected as an MP at the age of 20!

As you are seemingly in Year 11, I would have a look into the main parties within the country, whether that be Conservative, Labour, Green etc and decide which party aligns the most with the values that you hold. Don't just listen to party propaganda, but instead do the research yourself and draw a conclusion from that.

Getting some work experience with your local MP is a great start as it will give you a good inkling into whether the world of politics is what you want to pursue. You could also look into things like the Model UN, or UK Youth Parliament, as this could further your understanding of politics. Most importantly, don't just pick a party based on whether you're more likely to get elected for them, your heart really has to lie with the ethos of that party!

Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by LukeVader1
If you want to get into politics, doing a degree is usually quite useful, whether that be an international relations, politics, economics or law degree, these can all be very useful. It is true that people tend to prefer politicians with 'life experience', although this isn't the rule, as Mhairi Black (of the SNP) was elected as an MP at the age of 20!

As you are seemingly in Year 11, I would have a look into the main parties within the country, whether that be Conservative, Labour, Green etc and decide which party aligns the most with the values that you hold. Don't just listen to party propaganda, but instead do the research yourself and draw a conclusion from that.

Getting some work experience with your local MP is a great start as it will give you a good inkling into whether the world of politics is what you want to pursue. You could also look into things like the Model UN, or UK Youth Parliament, as this could further your understanding of politics. Most importantly, don't just pick a party based on whether you're more likely to get elected for them, your heart really has to lie with the ethos of that party!

Best of luck.

I like Labour, but I don't like some of their policies. I don't like the Conservatives. The Liberal Democrats are okay. I'd probably be Labour. I know my stuff when it comes to that sort of thing.
Original post by qwertyK
I like Labour, but I don't like some of their policies. I don't like the Conservatives. The Liberal Democrats are okay. I'd probably be Labour. I know my stuff when it comes to that sort of thing.

As you age you become more traditional. Especially if you have children.

Get get a job first if you haven’t already
Reply 4
Don’t listen to that whole follow your heart stuff, being an MP and being in politics is all about how you play your cards, people you meet and relationships you build. The biggest mistake you can make is being too political, most MPs (even in their careers) don’t have much political activism, maybe once they began than jobs but certainly not before that. And in a digital world remember a lot of things you do are recorded and kept.

You want to be an open book so you can adapt to changes which are inevitable in politics. Holding strong views and being too politically active makes it harder to network, harder networking means less relationships, less relationships mean you ain’t gonna be someone’s ideal choice to stand in as a candidate.

Don’t base your party choices purely on ideology as that changes a lot, look at party culture and choose the party you think would motivate you BUT also one that you think would be happy to have you (consider their member base, types of people that vote for them, etc.). For example you might be left wing but you might be super posh, your poshness would hinder your success in the Labour Party, but an ideology can be faked if your career is in your best interest and you would thrive with conservatives in this case.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 3121
Don’t listen to that whole follow your heart stuff, being an MP and being in politics is all about how you play your cards, people you meet and relationships you build. The biggest mistake you can make is being too political, most MPs (even in their careers) don’t have much political activism, maybe once they began than jobs but certainly not before that. And in a digital world remember a lot of things you do are recorded and kept.

You want to be an open book so you can adapt to changes which are inevitable in politics. Holding strong views and being too politically active makes it harder to network, harder networking means less relationships, less relationships mean you ain’t gonna be selected to stand in as a candidate.

Don’t base your party choices purely on ideology as that changes a lot, look at party culture and choose the party you think would motivate you BUT also one that you think would be happy to have you (consider their member base, types of people that vote for them, etc.). For example you might be left wing but you might be super posh, your poshness would hinder your success in the Labour Party, but an ideology can be faked if your career is in your best interest and you would thrive with conservatives.

I can be deceptive, but I don't want to be a politician who blatantly lies. I want to be someone who can drum up support of the people. someone who would start a political revolution. It will be hard, but not impossible. Obviously first I need to become a local MP.

The area I live in is affluent and Conservative voting, but the areas next to mine are deprived and either UKIP voters or independent/Labour.

Should I run for my local area, or run for a neighbouring consituency? I have some conservative views, which help. I know exactly what people in those areas are like, heavily Pro Brexit, anti immigrant, anti Tax, patriotic etc.

The area i live in is just rich brexit supporters, would i be more successful in the neighbouring consituency?
Original post by qwertyK

Thanks

Maybe join your local Youth Council and then that would give you some practive before persuing a career in it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by qwertyK
I can be deceptive, but I don't want to be a politician who blatantly lies. I want to be someone who can drum up support of the people. someone who would start a political revolution. It will be hard, but not impossible. Obviously first I need to become a local MP.

The area I live in is affluent and Conservative voting, but the areas next to mine are deprived and either UKIP voters or independent/Labour.

Should I run for my local area, or run for a neighbouring consituency? I have some conservative views, which help. I know exactly what people in those areas are like, heavily Pro Brexit, anti immigrant, anti Tax, patriotic etc.

The area i live in is just rich brexit supporters, would i be more successful in the neighbouring consituency?

One step at a time. Become an MP first and then begin that stuff. You have to ask yourself are you true to your values (in which case you might like politics but getting INTO politics isn’t for you) or can you bend your values for the sake of appealing to people and winning. Being an MP is mostly about winning elections and being loyal to a party.

You have to ask yourself that by assessing your local areas and choosing which one appeals to your values most so you don’t have to bend them as much, bending your values can be hard work. People want someone to say what they wanna hear, this is true for the party that selects you and the voters who elect you.

Just make sure you understand the reality of politics and becoming an MP. Do you value being an MP more than your political views? If so great, get a good degree, ideally work in or around London and just be involved with your party, go to local meetings, go to national meetings, speak to the right people, etc. Be involved but don’t be too politically involved until the time is right, ideally after you’re elected. They don’t just throw anyone into safe seats or seats predicted to win
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
"Lots of good ideas" uh uh like banning phones from teenagers? Lmao
Reply 9
Original post by 3121
One step at a time. Become an MP first and then begin that stuff. You have to ask yourself are you true to your values (in which case you might like politics but getting INTO politics isn’t for you) or can you bend your values for the sake of appealing to people and winning. Being an MP is mostly about winning elections and being loyal to a party.

You have to ask yourself that by assessing your local areas and choosing which one appeals to your values most so you don’t have to bend them as much, bending your values can be hard work. People want someone to say what they wanna hear, this is true for the party that selects you and the voters who elect you.

Just make sure you understand the reality of politics and becoming an MP. Do you value being an MP more than your political views? If so great, get a good degree, ideally work in or around London and just be involved with your party, go to local meetings, go to national meetings, speak to the right people, etc. Be involved but don’t be too politically involved until the time is right, ideally after you’re elected. They don’t just throw anyone into safe seats or seats predicted to win

Not many areas are as left leaning as I am, but I can adapt. I want to work in an area that I know somewhat about. If I go to uni what should I take?
Reply 10
Original post by Adacic
"Lots of good ideas" uh uh like banning phones from teenagers? Lmao

I said ban social media, keep that thread seperate
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyK
Not many areas are as left leaning as I am, but I can adapt. I want to work in an area that I know somewhat about. If I go to uni what should I take?

Remember your job as an MP isn't to represent your views, its to represent people's views. Going into government is a different story and pushing for political change is different too but it can conflict with being an MP so you'd want to get the job down first... The typical degree for going into politics is PPE, although some say its History now, I'd suggest something that invovles politics and economics, remember to create your own path.

A degree I think sounds amazing for poltics and I think will be great in the future of Politics is HPE, History, Politics, Economics. A great combination. Just remember things are changing faster than ever so there is no traditional route for the future, the one route you shouldn't take is the traditional route, you'd be sabotaging your chances since people know and are fed up with it, they'd think oh another PPE lad, great just what we need.
(edited 5 years ago)
Most of the time, you need to have some actual achievements do your name like running a business or being in charge of the election campaign in a region during an election etc.

Unlikely you will be chosen as an MP just because your a great speaker and have good ideas. Everyone has good ideas but often you need the social and PR skills to build enough momentum for your ideas
Original post by Davij038
As you age you become more traditional. Especially if you have children.

Says the guy in his 20s.
Original post by Davij038
As you age you become more traditional.

Do you, or do your previously new and progressive views simply become regarded as more "traditional" over time?

Once upon a time constitutional monarchism was the revolutionary anti-traditional stance, for instance.
(edited 5 years ago)
You are a great speakers? In which language do you wish to lie?
Original post by anarchism101
Do you, or do your previously new and progressive views simply become regarded as more "traditional" over time?

Once upon a time constitutional monarchism was the revolutionary anti-traditional stance, for instance.

Lets also not forget that the original left was mega nationalist.

@Davij038
@ChaoticButterfly
@anarchism101

Well of course the left/ right spectrum is outdated here. I suppose a better way of looking at it may be in terms of essentialist vs constructivist: this my be more meaningful than whether someone is a capitalist or a revolutionary or what have you.

As per constitutional monarchy being revolutionary, anti traditional - maybe it still is subversive. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the ‘traditional view is the reactionary one of going back to divine right of kings, but to formulate a better vision of how to best act on the interest of our people and families rather than the subversive individualism/ communism of a Rand/ Marx.
Generally in politics your personal views don't matter, how far you go is usually measured by how far you are willing to disgrace yourself (whilst praying it doesn't become public).

Quick Reply

Latest