livxfrances
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As someone who has thus far received little guidance with the EPQ, I was wondering whether a title that read as "...which macroeconomic objective should the UK Government prioritise" would be too broad? Would it be better to choose a specific objective and argue for/against why that should become the priority?

Alternatively, would an essay researching which macroeconomic objective should become the priority of all developing/emerging countries in order to become more developed be too broad/difficult to cover in the constraints of the EPQ?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by livxfrances)
As someone who has thus far received little guidance with the EPQ, I was wondering whether a title that read as "...which macroeconomic objective should the UK Government prioritise" would be too broad? Would it be better to choose a specific objective and argue for/against why that should become the priority?

Alternatively, would an essay researching which macroeconomic objective should become the priority of all developing/emerging countries in order to become more developed be too broad/difficult to cover in the constraints of the EPQ?
You could get an A* as it depends what you write.
That said i find it a bit pedestrian, although what you write could make that difference. It may just be the boring way you have presented the title.
I think you are better off having a debate or showing more insight. I agree its broad, so maybe get more focus by showing another aspect which either shows failure in UK Macro policy or you stating why they should or exploring why they should follow a certain policy?

If you havent done the research then do some initial reading 20-30 small easy to read articles. try and feel out if its the UK or developing countries you want to talk about. I think I prefer developing countries as you can compare a number of different strategies plus also add what makes them unique economies.

You could also restrict it by regions S America, Africa, Far East, Middle East etc.

The initial research is very important and worthwhile because it explains if your choice has enough potential and lets you form ideas about the issues to discuss and direction you will go.
livxfrances
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You could get an A* as it depends what you write.
That said i find it a bit pedestrian, although what you write could make that difference. It may just be the boring way you have presented the title.
I think you are better off having a debate or showing more insight. I agree its broad, so maybe get more focus by showing another aspect which either shows failure in UK Macro policy or you stating why they should or exploring why they should follow a certain policy?

If you havent done the research then do some initial reading 20-30 small easy to read articles. try and feel out if its the UK or developing countries you want to talk about. I think I prefer developing countries as you can compare a number of different strategies plus also add what makes them unique economies.

You could also restrict it by regions S America, Africa, Far East, Middle East etc.

The initial research is very important and worthwhile because it explains if your choice has enough potential and lets you form ideas about the issues to discuss and direction you will go.
Thank you so much for the guidance. I agree with your point about it being a bit pedestrian. If I were going to word it properly it would be along the lines of “An inquiry into which macro objective...” etc however I still don’t know whether this is boring/not entirely engaging.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much for the guidance. I agree with your point about it being a bit pedestrian. If I were going to word it properly it would be along the lines of “An inquiry into which macro objective...” etc however I still don’t know whether this is boring/not entirely engaging.
Why not look on the website and read the epq specification so you understand where the marks are and id also suggest reading some of the epq examiners reports. They give insight into what they like.

You should also consider it from the readers perspective an whether they are going to find it interesting.
I read quite an interesting article in the BBC lately about hyperinflation.

Dont get overambitious and dont extend yourself too much, keep it tight. the priority should be more careful research to explore the area than worry too much about the title at this stage imo. Picking the wrong title early can often straightjacket yourself.
BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

In addition to what the first poster said, I think it will be difficult to argue for a macroeconomic objective across all developing countries (also developing is not the same as (“emerging”). This is because each country has its own social, political, religious and cultural factors that will shape / have implications for its priority macroeconomic objective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.55%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.41%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.31%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (216)
46.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise