The Student Room Group

which university is better oxford n cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths&amp
no, maths is harder. and futrther maths is harder, further more.

what have i made up.

another attack on my character: accusing me of being dishnonest! ad hominem!

i don't want to waste my time talking to you anymore.

You've made up that more students at Cambridge have studied "harder" A-levels than Oxford.
Original post by Maths&physics
I have invented things, created new mathematical formulas, made unprecendented dicoveries

I passed over this comment earlier but I'm sure some of the established mathmos in this forum would be very interested in learning more about the "new mathematical formulas" you have created.

@DFranklin @Gregorius

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
I passed over this comment earlier but I'm sure some of the established mathmos in this forum would be very interested in learning more about the "new mathematical formulas" you have created.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently a boy from my old school found a new mathematic formula and had it published in a paper in year 12. He’s applying to Hertford college oxford.... hm.
Both unis would recognise this surely not just Cambridge?
Original post by Lemon1806
Apparently a boy from my old school found a new mathematic formula and had it published in a paper in year 12. He’s applying to Hertford college oxford.... hm.
Both unis would recognise this surely not just Cambridge?

I'm sure they would indeed. :yy:

It's interesting he chose Oxford :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

@DFranklin @Gregorius

Posted from TSR Mobile

Always interested in new stuff! 🧐
Original post by Gregorius

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of the Riemann Hypothesis but I can't fit it into TSR's posting constraints...

[Bites tongue before starting into a IUT rant...]

Just to reiterate, many more students get A* in Maths than Psychology, even if it is "harder". Specifically about 15,000 people get an A* in Maths, vs about 2,500 in Psychology each year.

The M/FM situation is pretty unique, to be fair (I'm not aware of other "paired" A-levels where one course is essentially a prerequisite for the other). The A/A* percentages for FM are artificially high because virtually no-one not expecting at least a grade A in Maths is going to take them. And conversely it's pretty near impossible to get an A in FM without being able to get at least the same grade in Maths.

That said, for a strong candidate, I'd say M/FM is a fairly "soft" way of getting 2 A-levels. Yes FM is harder than Maths, but at the same time, as long as you know FM well, there's very little you need to revise / practice for the straight Maths A-level. To me it felt somewhat like FM was doing a somewhat "harder" A-level, but you got Maths thrown in "for free".

It must also be said; it's fairly easily possible to get an A* in FM in about 6 months of study (if you are good at maths and understand the Maths A-level material well). I think it would be much harder to do that in most other A-levels (although I did do Electronics in a year and Physics in around 18 months (moved up to the lower 6th class for Physics after taking the O-level 6 months early)).
You've made up that more students at Cambridge have studied "harder" A-levels than Oxford.

no, are you confusing a lie with an assumption - which is based on experience?

and you do realise that when someone says that they don't want to waste their time talking to you anymore, that means you should stop talking to them.
(edited 5 years ago)

@DFranklin @Gregorius

Posted from TSR Mobile

petty is a word that comes to mind.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of the Riemann Hypothesis but I can't fit it into TSR's posting constraints...

[Bites tongue before starting into a IUT rant...]

Have you actually? :eek:
Original post by Gregorius

the alternative methods I created are noted in my UCAS reference.

as you can imagine, I'm reluctant to show them to strangers without first having them published.
(edited 5 years ago)
no, are you confusing a lie with an assumption - which is based on experience?

and you do realise that when someone says that they don't want to waste their time talking to you anymore, that means you should stop talking to them.

The experience of a few "friends" constitutes sample bias. I'd have thought a budding mathmo would be aware of that.

And yet you continue to reply...

petty is a word that comes to mind.

Your discoveries were petty? Oh don't be so coy.
(edited 5 years ago)
The experience of a few "friends" constitutes sample bias. I'd have thought a budding mathmo would be aware of that.

And yet you continue to reply...

Your discoveries were petty? Oh don't be so coy.

embarrassingly pathetic, is more apt.
embarrassingly pathetic, is more apt.

You mentioned it. Not me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mentioned it. Not me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you?
Original post by OxfordMedic
How old are you?

i know you are, but what am i? :biggrin:
Original post by Doones

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going through my posts to find something and I came across this thread - this was a real low for me! :biggrin:
I hope I never get caught up in such a futile debate again!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending