Self teaching AQA alevel psych in one "year"

Watch this thread
Immmmy
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have already written notes for social influence, memory and attachment... from experience does anyone know where i need to be by the end of the year in order to get an A in the 2019 exams?? I know this is a weird question but i am feeling stressed that i cant complete it :/
Immmmy
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
bump
alicial
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not a weird question, you should probably have done everything besides two of the A2 topics you've chosen, in order I'd recommend:
- Psychopathology
- Approaches
- Issues and Debates
- Biopsychology
- A2 Topic 1

January 2019:
- A2 Topic 2
- A2 Topic 3

February 2019
- General revision of AS material
- Research methods revision!!! So dull but so, so important (50% of paper 2 is research methods and they put it in all papers anyway)

As a recommendation for A2 topics, I'd say:
Schizophrenia

I did those and I got an A*, so I think they're good choices. Schizophrenia is beyond easy, Gender is more interesting than any of the other topics in that category and Forensics is long but easy and interesting.

Also, tips for picking A2 topics, there's nine to choose from but they're split into three categories and you have to pick one from each catergory (there are three in each). One is behavioural, one is cognitive and I don't remember the other but they're easy to find online.

So, yeah. A* student here if you have any more questions or want any help
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Immmmy)
I have already written notes for social influence, memory and attachment... from experience does anyone know where i need to be by the end of the year in order to get an A in the 2019 exams?? I know this is a weird question but i am feeling stressed that i cant complete it :/
I'm teaching myself GCSE psychology and I'm in the same postition as you
Immmmy
Rep:
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
Not a weird question, you should probably have done everything besides two of the A2 topics you've chosen, in order I'd recommend:
- Psychopathology
- Approaches
- Issues and Debates
- Biopsychology
- A2 Topic 1
- A2 Topic 2

January 2019:
- A2 Topic 3
- General revision of AS material
- Research methods revision!!! So dull but so, so important (50% of paper 2 is research methods and they put it in all papers anyway)

As a recommendation for A2 topics, I'd say:
Schizophrenia

I did those and I got an A*, so I think they're good choices. Schizophrenia is beyond easy, Gender is more interesting than any of the other topics in that category and Forensics is long but easy and interesting.

Also, tips for picking A2 topics, there's nine to choose from but they're split into three categories and you have to pick one from each catergory (there are three in each). One is behavioural, one is cognitive and I don't remember the other but they're easy to find online.

So, yeah. A* student here if you have any more questions or want any help
Thank you so much that's brilliant!! I've almost finished all of "AS" content which i started this september so i feel like i'm on the right track- i just need to manage my time. I'm super interested in the subject and i am wanting to do it at uni (which is why im cramming it in my gap year )- Do you have any advice/websites that you recommend for getting an A/A*??
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
You need to get the specification that shows you all the topics and organise your own work.
Common sense indicated by 50% of the allotted time, then you should have covered a min 50% of the course. that would be roughly all the AS topics on the spec. I would probably wnat to be more at the 60-65% progress rare by the end of year 12 to allow for time to revise.

You need to get organised and plan now as its only 7,8 months till the exam.
alicial
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much that's brilliant!! I've almost finished all of "AS" content which i started this september so i feel like i'm on the right track- i just need to manage my time. I'm super interested in the subject and i am wanting to do it at uni (which is why im cramming it in my gap year )- Do you have any advice/websites that you recommend for getting an A/A*??
That's definitely on track, well done!

I never used any websites, I just used the textbook and condensed things (wrote them on bgi revision cards, then even smaller ones, then flashcards - and use symbols to shorten them, like, an upward arrow when you're trying to say "increases", writing b/c when you're saying "because" and an "=" when you're saying "this means", you get the idea.

Then I did loads of past paper questions - everyone talks about them because they're so useful. You can learn the mark schemes (especially with research methods) and then it's less likely you'll lose marks.

Also, don't rely too much on TSR's "predictions", they're not always right and it's more worthwhile to learn everything the same than have extreme knowledge on a few topics that might not come up. Plus, don't ignore topics because "they came up last year", it makes it less likely but it doesn't mean they won't come up as little 2 mark questions.

In terms of the 16 mark essay questions, they seem daunting but it's basically just recalling information and if you've revised you won't have any issues, but you must remember to link back to the stem of the question (e.g. if they've given you a scenario then mention names of people involved in it - A2 two years ago they had a question about someone called Tatiana having low self-esteem so you have to keep saying "In relation to Tatiana... [link]") because that's worth a few marks.

Also, try not to over-complicate 16 marker answers, they don't have to be pages and pages: and it's worth noting that 6 marks are dedicated to description and 10 marks are dedicated to evaluation. The structure I was taught was:

"A strength/limitation of ____ is _______. In relation to [the stem or subject]. [Statistics or a study if applicable]. Therefore, this is a strength because _______."

It's also very helpful to use issues and debates when evaluating approaches in particular - hence me suggesting you learn them (or at least be familiar with them) before the A2 topics.

Also, tutor2u psychology webinars (free on youtube) are good for quick revision - someone re-explaining things you can't quite get or are struggling with.

Hope I helped x
Immmmy
Rep:
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
That's definitely on track, well done!

I never used any websites, I just used the textbook and condensed things (wrote them on bgi revision cards, then even smaller ones, then flashcards - and use symbols to shorten them, like, an upward arrow when you're trying to say "increases", writing b/c when you're saying "because" and an "=" when you're saying "this means", you get the idea.

Then I did loads of past paper questions - everyone talks about them because they're so useful. You can learn the mark schemes (especially with research methods) and then it's less likely you'll lose marks.

Also, don't rely too much on TSR's "predictions", they're not always right and it's more worthwhile to learn everything the same than have extreme knowledge on a few topics that might not come up. Plus, don't ignore topics because "they came up last year", it makes it less likely but it doesn't mean they won't come up as little 2 mark questions.

In terms of the 16 mark essay questions, they seem daunting but it's basically just recalling information and if you've revised you won't have any issues, but you must remember to link back to the stem of the question (e.g. if they've given you a scenario then mention names of people involved in it - A2 two years ago they had a question about someone called Tatiana having low self-esteem so you have to keep saying "In relation to Tatiana... [link]") because that's worth a few marks.

Also, try not to over-complicate 16 marker answers, they don't have to be pages and pages: and it's worth noting that 6 marks are dedicated to description and 10 marks are dedicated to evaluation. The structure I was taught was:

"A strength/limitation of ____ is _______. In relation to [the stem or subject]. [Statistics or a study if applicable]. Therefore, this is a strength because _______."

It's also very helpful to use issues and debates when evaluating approaches in particular - hence me suggesting you learn them (or at least be familiar with them) before the A2 topics.

Also, tutor2u psychology webinars (free on youtube) are good for quick revision - someone re-explaining things you can't quite get or are struggling with.

Hope I helped x
You really did help a lot thank you so much- I completely forgot about question structures and what not so i'll have a go later. I get 'TMA'S once ive finshed a certain section (e.g. first four topics) from an online tutor- but tbh the packs that were given are very basic so ive been learning from the textbook and plan on doing actual past papers as well like you said.
Again, thanks for your help!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
37.04%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.7%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
3.7%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
11.11%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.7%

Watched Threads