The Student Room Group

Better to graduate Oxbridge with less than 2:1 or 1st from low ranking uni?

Say two people apply for a job or something, (and they only have 1 place to offer), one of them a graduate of Oxbridge having achieved less than 2:1 (although im not sure if this is rare or not in reality)and the other a 1st from a low ranking uni...who are they more likely to choose? Does it not matter? (given both courses are the same and both interviews went equally well)

Just curious....

Scroll to see replies

what course? as it really depends which course it is
(edited 5 years ago)
What is the other uni. Important Q.
Reply 3
Original post by Suleman_Ak
what course? as it really depends which course it is

Its a hypothetical situation to give picture to my question.Let's just say for example physics...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
What is the other uni. Important Q.

I mean just any uni thats not really well known or low ranked or have some sort of poor rating
Original post by Misaki24
I mean just any uni thats not really well known or low ranked or have some sort of poor rating

Person with first. generally.

Doesn't mean getting the first from a random uni was harder than a 2:2 from Oxbridge.
it also depends how low the university is so if it's something very low like London met then I'd say the Oxford student will GET it since there course is much more difficult however If the grade of the Oxford student is very low, it may mean Oxford student is not very good at that particular field and the employer would properly hire the guy from London met. But it also depends on the company.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
If they both did the same course, I will say the 1st from a lower rank uni which includes London Met. This is like asking who should be picked, kid with Bs and Cs from a posh independent school or kid with A*s from a *****y, state school? Kid with A*s from the **** state school obviously
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Person with first. generally.

Doesn't mean getting the first from a random uni was harder than a 2:2 from Oxbridge.

Hmm, the reason this question traced my mind was because i was discussing with my skl friends and there is this Elite sixthform that only those who have achieved amazing grades can go; apperently they only have teachers who have graduated from Oxbridge.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Say two people apply for a job or something, (and they only have 1 place to offer), one of them a graduate of Oxbridge having achieved less than 2:1 (although im not sure if this is rare or not in reality)and the other a 1st from a low ranking uni...who are they more likely to choose? Does it not matter? (given both courses are the same and both interviews went equally well)

Just curious....

Probably, the graduate with the first. But its impossible to say for sure without knowing more details, the course, actual marks, particular job, particular uni.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by The RAR
If they both did the same course, I will say the 1st from a lower rank uni which includes London Met. This is like asking who should be picked, kid with Bs and Cs from a posh independent school or kid with A*s from a *****y, state school? Kid with A*s from the **** state school obviously

Ahh yes that is a good way to put it, that means even if the second candidate graduated from a good uni (eg Russell or top ranked) with 1st they will be chosen over the Oxbridge candidate with less than 2:1. I just found it weird how a school will only have teachers from Oxbridge.

Just curious....

Generally speaking, the person with the 1st. A 2.2 or Third from Oxbridge generally doesn't look that great (though of course there may be valid reasons for getting such a classification from there, which may mitigate things slightly) :nah:

I'd personally question what exactly you mean when you say "both courses are the same"...
courses like computer science, it doesn't even matter which univeristy u go too, it's the experience and projects that u have hat are more important. if somebody from London met has amazing apps in their projects and a guy from Oxford haven't done any free time projects - the employer would pick the London met guy even if they have the same grade
(edited 5 years ago)
lol at the previous answers which are all wrong.

the correct answer is that both CVs would equally make the shortlist and then the one with the weaker work experience will get binned.
Reply 14
No, im just genuinely curious and hence i have come here to ask. I know little of what post-uni is like so i question what it is like from alot of perspectives. (also as i am going to be the first person in my family to go uni). Is that so bad?
are u planning to go to Oxford?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Suleman_Ak
are u planning to go to Oxford?

No
Original post by CollectiveSoul
lol at the previous answers which are all wrong.

the correct answer is that both CVs would equally make the shortlist and then the one with the weaker work experience will get binned.

2smert4moi

And if the company automatically filters out those who have a 2:2 or third, Mr Lol?
Reply 18
I didn't think the question was vague until it was pointed out. Besides, im satisfied with the general answers im getting. I don't need the specifics.
2smert4moi

And if the company automatically filters out those who have a 2:2 or third, Mr Lol?

yes and they also filter out men with disproportionate penises x

Quick Reply

Latest