The Student Room Group

Is this person my cousin?

Me and a guy I know share mutual family. This is because my great aunt and his great uncle were married. We therefore have the same aunts and uncles. Are we cousins?
Reply 1
Think it makes you second cousins, will need to work it out.
you're distantly related if the great aunt and uncle had kids together which would make that guy also your great uncle. second cousins is your cousin's child. He would be something else and probably barely genetically related but still would be weird to have a relationship with maybe
I think you're second cousins once removed.

If his aunt and your uncle were married, your uncle's children would be your first cousin and the guy would be your first cousin once removed. Since it's your great aunt and uncle, you're second cousins once removed
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Frigateer
I think you're second cousins once removed.

If his aunt and your uncle were married, your uncle's children would be your first cousin and the guy would be your first cousin once removed. Since it's your great aunt and uncle, you're second cousins once removed

Thanks for that. What does ‘removed’ mean in this context please? Are we related is what I’d like to know tbh
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for that. What does ‘removed’ mean in this context please? Are we related is what I’d like to know tbh

Removed means the lineage goes up or down a generation, in this case up. I'm thinking I might be wrong about what I wrote though. You're not blood related at least, and in my opinion you're distantly enough related that you could have a relationship, if that's why you're asking. Not everyone will see it that way, though

Quick Reply

Latest