Former Met police chief urges rethink on cannabis

Watch
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The former Metropolitan police chief Bernard Hogan-Howe has urged the government to review the evidence that justifies the ongoing criminalisation of cannabis use after a host of leading clinical bodies called for changes.

Lord Hogan-Howe, who has always supported tough laws on cannabis, said that if he was home secretary he would hold an “urgent commission of experts to look at the evidence about what’s happening about cannabis in North America”.

He said: “We already know from the evidence around the world that where people use it for medicinal purposes, it slides into recreational. Surely it’s better that we get ready for that potential change.”

His intervention follows the legalisation of recreational cannabis in Canada last week, its decriminalisation in Uruguay, Portugal and in several US states, and the relaxation of cannabis laws in the UK to allow the prescription of cannabis-based medicines from next month.

What do you think?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Legalise it, regulate it, tax it. Same as alcohol and cigarettes.

With it being illegal you clearly don't stop its use. While that isn't a reason in itself to legalise something, its illegality also means the drug is not necessarily what it claims to be, and suppliers are more likely to commit other crimes in order to avoid the cops.
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd like to see it stay criminalized.
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ITV would like to see it drag on so that soaps on television can continuously recycle the same 'medicinal use of cannabis' storyline.

They'd be stumped for ideas otherwise.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It'd be nice if a few had the balls to say it while still in the job.
billygongo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They never had the right to make anything illegal in the first place
billygongo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
I'd like to see it stay criminalized.
How? It's not a crime. A crime is defined by being a dispute between 2 real people, the victim and the accused.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It was made illegal and will stay illegal because special interests profits from it being illegal, not because "it's bad for you" or because a small percentage of the population doesn't like it because they are control freaks.

You have that Tory MP who demonizes cannabis whilst her husband grows it for Big Pharma, that should tell you everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads