The Student Room Group

Worried about being sober

Hi!
I applied to UCAS in September for psychology at Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Plymouth and Birmingham, and I’m worried about the drinking culture.
I know alcohol is a massive part of uni life, in particular at St. Andrews where you apparently “come out married or an alcoholic”, but I don’t drink. I have absolutely no intention to either and I’m really worried about how I’ll make friends at uni if I don’t.
I couldn’t really find much about it either other than a few fear mongering articles about how sober freshers ruin the uni experience.
I wondered if anyone had first hand experience?
Original post by Bagpuss64
Hi!
I applied to UCAS in September for psychology at Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Plymouth and Birmingham, and I’m worried about the drinking culture.
I know alcohol is a massive part of uni life, in particular at St. Andrews where you apparently “come out married or an alcoholic”, but I don’t drink. I have absolutely no intention to either and I’m really worried about how I’ll make friends at uni if I don’t.
I couldn’t really find much about it either other than a few fear mongering articles about how sober freshers ruin the uni experience.

I drink very little and honestly it's fine. People accept it, you can still go out but don't need to drink. I have friends at St Andrew's who don't drink and have made friends. You will find other people like you, not everyone drinks to death. There are other things you can do
So don't drink... problem solved.
There is a useful article with advice aimed at non-drinkers going to unversity here on TSR. Click here to give it a read. :smile:
Reply 4
Drinking culture built the industrial revolution... drunken pilots won the battle of Britain. Your choice... but to freewheel a good mind is not all bad.
You don't have to drink at uni. I hardly drunk and found frineds who didn't just wanted to get drunk. Trust me, you don't need to drink loads.
I honestly don't think people care whether your drunk or sober as long as your social. Even if people are having pre drinks you can just grab a glass of Coke or something and join them. It's what I did. Even at bars and clubs you can just get water or some other soft drinks. You don't have to worry about not drinking, seriously.
you will be fine, the real question is why you don't drink?
Reply 8
Original post by Bagpuss64
Hi!
Chill your beans.

Also you sound like a reet snob with this "I have absolutely no intention" stuff. Loosen up and stop looking down your nose at people.

Quick Reply

Latest