The Student Room Group

Help i have no future :((

After my gcse results day I discovered that my sixth form won’t let me do A-level biology since I got a 4 in maths, my intitial plan was to do biology and geography A-level to give me options to do a career that focused on ecology or environmental sciences, but since I can’t do this I decided to do Geography, politics and Film studies A-level which are all subjects I’m interested in, however Im not really sure what career I should do in the future since I virtually cant do anything biology related and I’m worried that my options don’t really lead to any careers, other than environmental consultancy which I’m not sure if I’m interested in.Seriously replies only please :smile:
Reply 1
So one thing you need to keep in mind, is that the subjects you take do not decide what career you're going to have. Even the degree you take usually doesn't affect it that much, with the exception of engineering, clinical subjects, things like that - they set you up for a particular job. Okay, so you can't be a dentist with your A-levels, but you could go into most non-clinical jobs.

If you really want to do something "biology related" you should start off by being more specific. Do you want to be a vet? A biomedical engineer? A researcher? A doctor? A zoologist? A chiropractor?
If you plan on going to university, you should keep in mind that many biological sciences courses also require chemistry A-level, as does medicine and bioengineering (usually).

Now, for those such courses, you could take a foundation course at a university, where the first year is basically A-level catch-up on the subjects you missed. If you're still pining to do something scientific, that's my recommendation.
You could repeat a year, although my guess is that you don't want to do that.
Has programming every interested you?

If so, you can do so many software engineering apprenticeships, that allow you to get a full-time job after on the job learning.
These apprenticeships are becoming more and more popular due to our high demand for Software developers/Engineers needed for the future.

A degree In CS is worthless after a couple of years in experience as a software developer/engineer.
Reply 3
You really dodged a bullet, A Level Biology ruined everything (although I was very lucky to get into my top choice (offer AAA) with a D in Biology), seriously, and the maths is so hard, I got a B at GCSE and couldn't answer a single maths question in all three A2 exams.
Original post by Anon34576
After my gcse results day I discovered that my sixth form won’t let me do A-level biology since I got a 4 in maths, my intitial plan was to do biology and geography A-level to give me options to do a career that focused on ecology or environmental sciences, but since I can’t do this I decided to do Geography, politics and Film studies A-level which are all subjects I’m interested in, however Im not really sure what career I should do in the future since I virtually cant do anything biology related and I’m worried that my options don’t really lead to any careers, other than environmental consultancy which I’m not sure if I’m interested in.Seriously replies only please :smile:

You know life is what happens when you make plans - and sometimes we have to go a circuitous route to get there. You certainly have options to do a foundation degree and that is a good start. Your maths is a problem - a 4 is just scraping a pass - so this will present you with problems - because you will need statistics to do a science degree - hence foundation will give you skills. There is alway the idea of an apprenticeship - and don't dismiss this immediately - they can lead to very exciting opportunities and even sponsorship for degrees etc.

You should not say that you have no future - you most certainly have - and read the page below.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/environment-and-agriculture/how-to-get-an-environmental-job#do-i-need-a-related-degree
Reply 5
Thanks for replying I’m definenlty leaning more towards becoming an ecologist and would love to do a career that involved collecting soil types and analysing them etc, how long is a biology foundation course and would doing a geography degree allow me to become an ecologist??
Have you considered retaking maths? If you work hard at it, you could up your grade so you have a solid pass or higher.

Quick Reply

Latest