The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Uni Korean Studies Course

Hi I’ve received an offer from Sheffield Uni for the Korean Studies course and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience with this course. Does anyone know what percentage it is exam and coursework? Just want any bits of info or tips is anyone has any. Thanks💜
Original post by M.o.l.l.y_G
Hi I’ve received an offer from Sheffield Uni for the Korean Studies course and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience with this course. Does anyone know what percentage it is exam and coursework? Just want any bits of info or tips is anyone has any. Thanks💜

Most of the first year modules seem to be language related. Though there is one that isn't with assessments as follows.

Reflective portfolio, developed throughout the year to cover all topics covered.

An end of year, short answer exam which will test students’ knowledge and understand of all the topics covered throughout the year.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/seas/undergraduates/courses/kstudy#tab00

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=T4152019

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/seas/undergraduates/studiesmodules
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hey! I'm applying for that course too for next year ! good luck hopefully I'll see you there !😁😁
Reply 3
Original post by Hannahldx96
Hey! I'm applying for that course too for next year ! good luck hopefully I'll see you there !😁😁

OMG!! I've received an offer and it's my top choice- so hopefully we'll see each other😊😊
oh my god YAY congratulations!! I'm Hannah by the way yes hopefully we'll see eachother 😁😁
Reply 5
oh my god YAY congratulations!! I'm Hannah by the way yes hopefully we'll see eachother 😁😁

TYSM! I'm Molly and good luck to hearing from your choices! ahhh I hope we get to meet it would be nice to know someone haha😆
I know right!! I'll let you know what happens 😁😁
Reply 7
OMG!! I've received an offer and it's my top choice- so hopefully we'll see each other😊😊

Hey, was just wondering what your predicted grades are and what you're studying rn? :smile: my friend has just applied for this course and wants to know
Reply 8
Original post by Faz2154
Hey, was just wondering what your predicted grades are and what you're studying rn? :smile: my friend has just applied for this course and wants to know

Hi I’m doing EPQ, English Lit and double Business Diploma my predicted grades are A*, A and D*D.
Hi I’m doing EPQ, English Lit and double Business Diploma my predicted grades are A*, A and D*D.

I know right!! I'll let you know what happens 😁😁

Hey guys, we have a FB chat for people applying to SEAS at Sheffield! Already have a couple other applicants! Message me if you're interested!
Original post by super_kawaii
Hey guys, we have a FB chat for people applying to SEAS at Sheffield! Already have a couple other applicants! Message me if you're interested!

I’m definitely interested!!
I’m definitely interested!!

Messaged you :biggrin:
I know this is a bit late but I'm going to apply for Korean studies this year, I didn't do it at GCSE or A-Level but I did GCSE Chinese and got a grade 9 (A**) and know a bit of Korean already. None of my A-Levels are language related but are more to do with social sciences, I'm wondering if you think I'll be able to get in
Original post by Piedpersona
I know this is a bit late but I'm going to apply for Korean studies this year, I didn't do it at GCSE or A-Level but I did GCSE Chinese and got a grade 9 (A**) and know a bit of Korean already. None of my A-Levels are language related but are more to do with social sciences, I'm wondering if you think I'll be able to get in

Yeah, you have a chance. Languages to A Level are not a requirement for Korean Studies.
Are you by any chance a student there? If so, how are the facilities and the leaching? How was your year abroad and would you recommend applying?
Are you by any chance a student there? If so, how are the facilities and the leaching? How was your year abroad and would you recommend applying?

I was a student (Did Chinese Studies with Japanese). Graduated back in 2016 so am not familiar with the new curriculum they've introduced since I left unfortunately.

Hi there, Sheffield graduate here, I'd recommend speaking to current students using our 'Chat to Us' platform here on the Sheffield University website.

You can filter the students on there by the course they are currently studying so you can speak to someone who will know what it is like to be a student in the School of East Asian Studies :smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions about Sheffield or your course (I can try and answer them as best as I can, even though I studied Engineering!)

- Ellie :smile:
MEng Chemical Engineeing Graduate

Quick Reply

Latest