?
Report 11 months ago
Being white is racist.
lionheart27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Why are white women so ashamed of being white... it's pathetic.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh my, you have opened a can of worms my boy.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Australia’s Parliament reckons it isn’t
Are you a writer for the DM?
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
No, they’re far too liberal. They supported Theresa May for gods sake.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The motion called for the senate to recognise the "deplorable rise of anti-white racism and attacks on Western civilization", whatever that means. There was apparently no additional evidence or information given to actually support this claim.

Also the phrase itself is a well-known 4chan meme, intended as a dog whistle for white supremacy. Not something many in the Australian senate would want to associate themselves with, I imagine.
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Is it okay to be a skin colour?
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
obviously it is.
white guilt is one of the most dangerous trends in recent times.
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It's because the line between white supremacy and white accpetence/empowerment is so thin people would rather play safe than be seen as a white supremacist. Read the ending of the article, that's why it didnt pass, not because they disagreed with the literal message of the motion.
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
he has the perfect misleading spins, they have competition
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
The motion called for the senate to recognise the "deplorable rise of anti-white racism and attacks on Western civilization", whatever that means. There was apparently no additional evidence or information given to actually support this claim.

Also the phrase itself is a well-known 4chan meme, intended as a dog whistle for white supremacy. Not something many in the Australian senate would want to associate themselves with, I imagine.
Anti white racism such as ‘unbearable whiteness’ which has become more frequent, ataacjoking western civilisation would be say destroying culutural artefacts or by saying that there is no such thing as being white or having a western identity (which they wouldn’t say about other cultures/ identities.

Your second paragraph is all true, but the ‘troll’ has worked beautifully as people in the far left immediately began attacking white identity. You don’t have to be a Nazi to think that being white is ok, which is what these people would lead you to believe.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There is nothing wrong with being white.

That said, pride in being white in a country that has always been majority white and has no history of racism or injustice against white people is absurd and lacks any value what so ever.

Racism against white people definitely exists, mind you. Perhaps legislation is needed for this but passing a notion like "it's OK to be white" doesn't make anything better, especially since notions like it are almost exclusively given in the context of supporting white supremacy.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
There is nothing wrong with being white.

That said, pride in being white in a country that has always been majority white and has no history of racism or injustice against white people is absurd and lacks any value what so ever.

Racism against white people definitely exists, mind you. Perhaps legislation is needed for this but passing a notion like "it's OK to be white" doesn't make anything better, especially since notions like it are almost exclusively given in the context of supporting white supremacy.
why do you need to face injustice or oppression to be proud of something?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Posting.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Dez)
Its a rather sad state of affairs when rudeness or disrespect is quantified against race lines. Why can't the motion just say "deplorable acts of racism and attacks against our society"?

Saying racism against white people suggests that racism against non-white is acceptable ergo, it is a racist statement.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
why do you need to face injustice or oppression to be proud of something?
It does not make sense to be proud of something which you were born into, or born with, which doesn't, generally speaking, have a negative impact on your life.

What do you think you can be proud of without facing oppression or injustice? (in the context of identity, I'm not talking about exam results, etc! xD)
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
It does not make sense to be proud of something which you were born into, or born with, which doesn't, generally speaking, have a negative impact on your life.

What do you think you can be proud of without facing oppression or injustice? (in the context of identity, I'm not talking about exam results, etc! xD)
I am proud of my identity as a "my-surname-here*. Its part of my identity, that I am proud of. My family hasn't faced oppression or injustice. But in my eyes many of them have done great things, lived great lives, achieved a lot, worked very hard etc. Its a part of my identity that I am very proud of, but my pride doesn't come from oppression or injustice.

Again, to your first point - it doesn't make any sense to be proud of anything, except things you have directly influenced. Really pride - in the LGBT and race sense, its more logically called 'the absence of shame' - an anti-shame march, would be more logically fitting. But pride is much more catchy, and ends in the same effect. I 100% support the right of everyone to not have to feel ashamed of any part of their identity. This is where the white-pride stuff is coming from.. There are a growing number of white people who now feel ashamed to be white, and a minority is latching on to that feeling, and using it to fuel their racist agendas.

With a lot of these issues though, yes - ignore the crazy racists who want to use 'its ok to be white' to further their agenda.... BUT at the same time, look carefully at white the message resonates with so many normal/non-racist white people, and why shame or guilt within white people is rising and growing, at a time when we are trying to make sure everyone is free from feeling guilt/shame over any aspect of their identity.

I think its possible to do both, consider why many normal people find this troubling - whilst also condemning the extremists who will take advantage of it.. but a lot of the time, all I see predominately from the left, is condiment and focus on the extremists, whilst completely ignoring the large issues that are causing the message to resonate and amplify within society in the first place.
Davij038
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Its a rather sad state of affairs when rudeness or disrespect is quantified against race lines. Why can't the motion just say "deplorable acts of racism and attacks against our society"?

Saying racism against white people suggests that racism against non-white is acceptable ergo, it is a racist statement.
So Black Lives Matter are racist?
Inspiringvisons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Considering humanity was created in various differing shades only the not so sane out of us would say it was not perfectly fine.
Tldr:why would it not be fine to be white???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.81%
They might tell the bully (28)
10.04%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.77%
It might lead to more bullying (104)
37.28%
There's nothing they could do (84)
30.11%

Watched Threads