theweirdo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm writing an essay, evaluating the biological explanation of crime. Apparently, not all criminals have brain abnormalities, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a criminal who has no brain abnormalities because usually, we find that violent criminals, for example, have differences in brain structure and functioning compared to those who aren't criminals. Thanks
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you limiting your essay to violent criminals?

Perhaps look at other causes of crime without a biological explanation, but deterministic (e.g. Sociological positivism) like strain theory (Look at the work of Durkheim/Merton/Agnew). Another suggestion is to look at twin studies which look at the combination of environmental issues and genetic links (Barnes et al, 2014 52(4) Crim. 588)

You could also consider the theories of crime, which focus more on a free will/rationalism explanation. Research things like Routine Activity Theory (Cohen & Felson), Rational Choice Theory (Clarke & Cornish), Neutralisation Techniques (Sykes & Matza), Labelling Theory (Lemert, Tannenbaum).
BPBPBPBP
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Situation, survival, surely plays a part in a lot of crime. And that's got nothing to do with brain abnormalities. If you've been abused in childhood for example, shorter temper, more sensative, feel under threat easier, defensive, all can lead to violence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads