The Student Room Group

Hate my degree

Hey,

For a bit of background information, I'm currently more than halfway through studying a mathematics degree and absolutely hate it now. I was always very academic in school and particularly good with mathematical subjects, So, naturally without giving it much thought I went for the sensible option of studying maths at uni. I tried very hard in 1st year, when I was an overly keen fresher and did ok. But as the work has gradually become more abstract, meaningless and difficult I have started to feel very lost and upset that I have to study such a horrendous topic through Uni. I barely passed my second year and was pretty miserable by the end of it. I am now on a year abroad sandwich year which so far has been a great experience but I still have the same problem of hating my studies. I'm worried that if I struggle to even barely pass 2nd year and hate every single course I have to study that I am probably going to fail my final year, not even get the degree and make my self thoroughly miserable in the process. But the other issue is that I feel I have no other option but to carry on for the next two years of study regardless and that i'm too fargone to give up on the degree. Is anyone else in this situation and do they have any advice on how to cope?
Another thing, I have always wanted to pursue a career in music. It's my passion and I have worked in music a lot whilst in uni and I have had opportunities to take it up as a career that have been pushed back or missed because of my studies. Many industry professionals that I have either worked with or have seen me play are very impressed with my talents and think I could be very successful if I were to do it fulltime. I would maybe even like to do a music production course at some point in another university in order to work in the industry. Everyone's advice to me is to pursue this after uni and just bear with maths for now for the sake of the degree as a backup plan.
Does anyone have any thought on this they could share?

Thanks, an unhappy maths student and hopeful musician.
Reply 1
hi
so now how u 'll leave ur degree inspite of spending 2 years on it...if u really dislike maths then be a musician...
Reply 2
Have you thought about swapping for Information Technology or CS? Or can you take Applied maths modules, something like Classical mechanics?
Original post by raythecactus
Hey,

For a bit of background information, I'm currently more than halfway through studying a mathematics degree and absolutely hate it now. I was always very academic in school and particularly good with mathematical subjects, So, naturally without giving it much thought I went for the sensible option of studying maths at uni. I tried very hard in 1st year, when I was an overly keen fresher and did ok. But as the work has gradually become more abstract, meaningless and difficult I have started to feel very lost and upset that I have to study such a horrendous topic through Uni. I barely passed my second year and was pretty miserable by the end of it. I am now on a year abroad sandwich year which so far has been a great experience but I still have the same problem of hating my studies. I'm worried that if I struggle to even barely pass 2nd year and hate every single course I have to study that I am probably going to fail my final year, not even get the degree and make my self thoroughly miserable in the process. But the other issue is that I feel I have no other option but to carry on for the next two years of study regardless and that i'm too fargone to give up on the degree. Is anyone else in this situation and do they have any advice on how to cope?
Another thing, I have always wanted to pursue a career in music. It's my passion and I have worked in music a lot whilst in uni and I have had opportunities to take it up as a career that have been pushed back or missed because of my studies. Many industry professionals that I have either worked with or have seen me play are very impressed with my talents and think I could be very successful if I were to do it fulltime. I would maybe even like to do a music production course at some point in another university in order to work in the industry. Everyone's advice to me is to pursue this after uni and just bear with maths for now for the sake of the degree as a backup plan.
Does anyone have any thought on this they could share?

Thanks, an unhappy maths student and hopeful musician.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your studies. One option, would be dropping out. But have you considered the financial implications of this? You'd have to pay back any loans/grants you borrowed once you drop out. How would you manage to do that? Also, have you looked at final year modules? Are they all compulsory or is there any optional ones that might sound appealing to you?

If you drop out now, and then choose to read Music (Production) at uni, you'd have to pay off previous degree and also cough up money for the new one. Do you have the financial means to do this? Is it totally necessary for you to go back to uni again?

It's a hard one because I'd always say protect your mental health and it's effecting your mental health in a negative way, then I would tell you to consider dropping out. However, if you're enjoying your sandwich year now and then only have 1 year to go (you said two but wasn't sure if you were including the sandwich year) then I would say stick it out. Some of us were built to handle tough situations and to stick to things we don't like. But others do not function that way. For every time I wanted to quit uni because I hated my accommodation, I wouldn't be where I am today (top Communications School in the UK PGT). Sometimes, we have to face adversary in order to reach our potential. I say this because even though those music professionals told you you're good - they're not the ones who can offer you a job there and then if you were to quit now. They might, but it's always safer to get your degree and then pursue music afterwards. It might not be the best option for you, but I think it's the most plausible right now.

The universe doesn't give you what you can't handle. I swear by this mantra whenever I'm faced with adversary. :smile:
Hi, Thanks for your reply! It was very helpful 😀 I think i am planning on finishing my degree and not dropping out. I am really enjoying my sandwich year so i don't want to leave either. As you said, alot of time and money has gone into this already and its definitley good to have the math degree there to fall back on. The biggest issue i have is how i am going to cope with managing the studying. Even when i try my hardest, revising for months in preparation, i get very average grades (with a few ok ones) or barely pass. Last year i failed two exams due to being overwhelmed by the work load ( i was studying 6 courses in one term). Its so hard to work relentlessly when the work is so difficult and extremely uninteresting to me too. I've actually got an exam this week which im almost certainly going to fail. Do you have any tips for feeling overwhelmed with studying something that is not interesting to you/very difficult? Also, with music. It's just frustrating to know i could be doing what i love when i'm stuck studying something that actually makes me pretty unhappy and that i will have to wait two years until i can attempt to make a life from music.
Original post by raythecactus
Hi, Thanks for your reply! It was very helpful 😀 I think i am planning on finishing my degree and not dropping out. I am really enjoying my sandwich year so i don't want to leave either. As you said, alot of time and money has gone into this already and its definitley good to have the math degree there to fall back on. The biggest issue i have is how i am going to cope with managing the studying. Even when i try my hardest, revising for months in preparation, i get very average grades (with a few ok ones) or barely pass. Last year i failed two exams due to being overwhelmed by the work load ( i was studying 6 courses in one term). Its so hard to work relentlessly when the work is so difficult and extremely uninteresting to me too. I've actually got an exam this week which im almost certainly going to fail. Do you have any tips for feeling overwhelmed with studying something that is not interesting to you/very difficult? Also, with music. It's just frustrating to know i could be doing what i love when i'm stuck studying something that actually makes me pretty unhappy and that i will have to wait two years until i can attempt to make a life from music.

Hey what happened in the end?
I just dropped out of Bath (1st year) and am reapplying to uni but have no idea if I should try to study maths somewhere less competitive or just a whole other subject!
Also can I ask where you studied? And where was your year abroad?
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending