What do I do? Watch

Ellenr0se
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m currently doing Biology, French and English Literature A-Levels. I’m considering dropping English Lit next year and replacing it with Physics.

I’ve spoken to the school and both the head of sixth form and the head of science think that I could do Physics A-Level. However, I’m concerned as I don’t do A-Level Maths and wasn’t exceptional at it at GCSE (but reasonably good).

I’d love to have the option to do Cosmology and in order to pursue Physics you need an A-Level in Maths. Even if I don’t pursue Physics and choose to pursue Biology instead, I need an A-Level in science (‘cause let’s face it, I’m not doing maths) and therefore I’d still need to do Physics. Is Physics A-Level doable without A-Level Maths?

What are my options if I do want to pursue Physics (at university)?

I’m feeling really lost at the moment.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer x
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ellenr0se)
I’m currently doing Biology, French and English Literature A-Levels. I’m considering dropping English Lit next year and replacing it with Physics.

I’ve spoken to the school and both the head of sixth form and the head of science think that I could do Physics A-Level. However, I’m concerned as I don’t do A-Level Maths and wasn’t exceptional at it at GCSE (but reasonably good).

I’d love to have the option to do Cosmology and in order to pursue Physics you need an A-Level in Maths. Even if I don’t pursue Physics and choose to pursue Biology instead, I need an A-Level in science (‘cause let’s face it, I’m not doing maths) and therefore I’d still need to do Physics. Is Physics A-Level doable without A-Level Maths?

What are my options if I do want to pursue Physics (at university)?

I’m feeling really lost at the moment.
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer x

Okay looked at Cosmology for you and they want Maths.

There are not many unis that do Cosmo compared to Astro..
If its that much of of a dream then you can either ask to restart year 12 so you have room to take A level maths for one of the others or
You can see if they do a science foundation course you can then use to get on to a main degree.

Biology and physics imo is quite a weird combination. Chemistry is the one that complements biology much more.

I think you need to get it clear in your head which course you want to do or which career and then pick the A levels that meet the entrance requirements or do a foundation. For you, then maths is pretty important. If you had done some proper research and careers planning then you could have chosen the correct A levels a few months ago. Its a shame. You can still sort it out, but it will cost you a year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (88)
9.95%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (147)
16.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (127)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.62%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.88%

Watched Threads