Help!!! BTEC Level 3 ED Health and Social Care Watch

NEGEVNEOX
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently repeating year 13 in my school and studying AS History, RE and BTEC ICT. I’ve realised that these subjects really aren’t for me and I’m having a hard time settling into the new class as all of my friends are in the year above. I want to do Criminology at QUB and with my current choices, that can’t be done.

I’m debating going to another college to do an extended diploma in Health and Social Care as it can apparently help with criminology. I also think the fresh start with new people and a new place would be beneficial as I wouldn’t be known as the guy repeating year 13.

Are there any people here who are currently doing/already done a Level 3 BTEC extended dimploma in Health and Social Care? What’s it like?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NEGEVNEOX)
I’m currently repeating year 13 in my school and studying AS History, RE and BTEC ICT. I’ve realised that these subjects really aren’t for me and I’m having a hard time settling into the new class as all of my friends are in the year above. I want to do Criminology at QUB and with my current choices, that can’t be done.

I’m debating going to another college to do an extended diploma in Health and Social Care as it can apparently help with criminology. I also think the fresh start with new people and a new place would be beneficial as I wouldn’t be known as the guy repeating year 13.

Are there any people here who are currently doing/already done a Level 3 BTEC extended dimploma in Health and Social Care? What’s it like?
Ask on the nursing forum as its a typical BTEC for nursing.

Have you asked college if they will take you?

QUB BTEC Extended diploma
Successful completion of BTEC Extended Diploma with 120 credits at Distinction and 60 credits at Merit.

You can also look into doing an Access course.

Imo seems a strange choice to do, but if you can get the grades then go for it.
Mary6767
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

(Original post by 999tigger)
Ask on the nursing forum as its a typical BTEC for nursing.

Have you asked college if they will take you?

QUB BTEC Extended diploma
Successful completion of BTEC Extended Diploma with 120 credits at Distinction and 60 credits at Merit.

You can also look into doing an Access course.

Imo seems a strange choice to do, but if you can get the grades then go for it.
Im doing that course rn! I got good gcse grades and got into sixth form to do alevel such as re history and psychology but I didnt do it because it wasn’t really what I wanted to do. It’s a really good course and I’m enjoying it! There is science subjects in them and sociology and things to do with Health and Social Care care in the first year. I do not regret option doing this. And the good thing about it is that u can literally do anything with it such as nursing, social work, health sciences and criminology which is what I’m thinking I’ll do in uni too! There is a lot of coursework which I find alright but others struggle with 🤷🏽*♀️Hope it helped!!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mary6767)
Im doing that course rn! I got good gcse grades and got into sixth form to do alevel such as re history and psychology but I didnt do it because it wasn’t really what I wanted to do. It’s a really good course and I’m enjoying it! There is science subjects in them and sociology and things to do with Health and Social Care care in the first year. I do not regret option doing this. And the good thing about it is that u can literally do anything with it such as nursing, social work, health sciences and criminology which is what I’m thinking I’ll do in uni too! There is a lot of coursework which I find alright but others struggle with 🤷🏽*♀️Hope it helped!!!
Not sure why you are tagging me? Hopefully the Op will get back to you.and you can answer their questions.
lexirxe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in Year 13 for the new BTEC specification (with Pearson!) I'm also based in England, so it might be a little bit different but..

I came over to BTEC from A-Levels. I was doing a real mishmash of subjects and I hated it. It took me six months, but I dropped out, reapplied at a different college and decided to do H&SC because I had no clue what I was doing and figured it'd be the broadest subject so that I had plenty of options when the time came.

I was super worried about being the oldest in my class. Out of the 15~ of us, only two are actually 17, turning 18. The rest of us are 18 turning 19, with one turning 20 this year. I do know of people on my course that are going to apply for Criminology and because of the links with psychology and sociology (you do a module of each on BTEC) it does work quite well.

BTEC requires a lot of self-discipline. From writing assignments to exam prep to going onto work placement to sitting through lessons that are practically irrelevant to you, it can be quite taxing. What I mean by this is that, for example, in my second year (aka this year) I have an exam on research and an exam on anatomy. I want to study American Studies at university; literally neither of these two topics are relevant to me in the slightest. When you're disengaged in a topic (because you have to cover both health and social. Even if you know from the get-go what you want to do, you still have to cover all of it.) it does seriously affect you. Placement can be a bit of a joke, dependent upon your area and what placement you end up going on. (I will also note though that my college is a mess and highly unorganised at the best of times, so that's not necessarily a one size fits all statement.)

End of the day, the BTEC is interesting. It is interesting to have such a wide spectrum of knowledge. It can be incredibly finicky at times with wording and deadlines, but if you know where you want to go, then it's worth it. I wish that the psychology module would've been more indepth, because it was interesting, along with the sociology one but you have a limited amount of time to get a lot done so you kind of understand why it wasn't able to be more in-depth. If you want Criminology at Uni though, it'll give you a really good base for it. All knowledge is good knowledge, my friend.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.72%
Labour (554)
51.58%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.41%
Green Party (60)
5.59%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.58%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)