The Student Room Group

GCSE Advice (from me)

I got six 9s and three 8s at GCSE. If anybody wants to ask me anything I'll try and help!
Ah lord and saviour honestly. I’m predicted all 7s butttt my science is really bad and I’m underachieving, any tips on how to up my grade for science??

Thanks!
Useful websites for maths revision? Aiming for an 8.
Reply 3
Original post by Lottie_smith02
Ah lord and saviour honestly. I’m predicted all 7s butttt my science is really bad and I’m underachieving, any tips on how to up my grade for science??

Thanks!

For science I think the best way to up your grade is to go over the things you are unsure of with a revision guide or teacher/someone who understands really well until you fully understand what the processes are and why they happen. Once you have that its just reading over stuff again until you remember it like any other subject. ALways ask for help if you don't fully understand and try lost of practise questions until you're familiar with the type of questions and what they're asking! The trick with science is the questions always try to mislead you.
how did you revise
Reply 5
Original post by nightsky24
Useful websites for maths revision? Aiming for an 8.

I didn't use any besides mymaths myself but I've hear Khan Academy is meant to be good. My teacher used to tell us about this one website that was amazing but I can't remember the name - I will ask asap for you when I next see him.
Reply 6
Original post by taranmistry
how did you revise

Personally I read through the revision guides and made notes on anything I thought were important and then found other people in my year who wanted help or were willing to let me talk at them because I find the best way to learn things besides making notes is to teach it to someone else, but it really depends on what works for you. For me I had to leave my revision quite late purely because my short term memory is much better than my long term memory but my friend revised for longer because that's how she learns and did amazing too.
Original post by eli.s.Arose
Personally I read through the revision guides and made notes on anything I thought were important and then found other people in my year who wanted help or were willing to let me talk at them because I find the best way to learn things besides making notes is to teach it to someone else, but it really depends on what works for you. For me I had to leave my revision quite late purely because my short term memory is much better than my long term memory but my friend revised for longer because that's how she learns and did amazing too.

but how do you know if you have long term or short term memory
Reply 8
Original post by taranmistry
but how do you know if you have long term or short term memory

Just look at the things you remember. If you remember much more from two weeks ago than a few days then it's long term, or vice versa. Lots of people are kind of in between, so its safer to do little bits leading up to the exam and then close to it put in more effort
Just look at the things you remember. If you remember much more from two weeks ago than a few days then it's long term, or vice versa. Lots of people are kind of in between, so its safer to do little bits leading up to the exam and then close to it put in more effort

ok thanks
how did u revise maths, english sciencr, lanuages??
Reply 11
Tips for Geography, Maths French and English lit
I didn't use any besides mymaths myself but I've hear Khan Academy is meant to be good. My teacher used to tell us about this one website that was amazing but I can't remember the name - I will ask asap for you when I next see him.

thank you:smile:
For science I think the best way to up your grade is to go over the things you are unsure of with a revision guide or teacher/someone who understands really well until you fully understand what the processes are and why they happen. Once you have that its just reading over stuff again until you remember it like any other subject. ALways ask for help if you don't fully understand and try lost of practise questions until you're familiar with the type of questions and what they're asking! The trick with science is the questions always try to mislead you.

Thank youuu!
Original post by maisiex10x
how did u revise maths, english sciencr, lanuages??

For me maths is all about practical application and repetition so I just did loads of practise papers and questions until I could remember everything. English language is very hard to revise for, but the most important thing is to understand what you need to do for each question and how to answer them, once you have that it doesn't need much else so maybe ask a teacher. English lit I would revise reading the tests again and again until you know them inside out and just try and learn as many quotes - even if they're one word long each! Science I just made notes on the revision guides, but you need to make sure you fully understand the concepts before you try and memorise everything otherwise you won't be able to. French was my hardest GCSE. I would say lots of flashcards or an app like duolingo and then just constant practise at vocab and grammar.
Did you done your GCSES in 2018? and do you have any GCSE revision notes that you made, that you don't mind giving them away? Thanks! :smile: i'm doing mine next year and i'm so scared
Original post by SBizzy
Tips for Geography, Maths French and English lit

For geography, human in particularly, lots of the same theories apply across many of the topics so find as many of these as possible. It's important to learn case studies too to access the higher grades. I would just treat it as a science and make notes on anything and make sure you understand lots of it. Maths is past papers and questions for me to apply it is the best way, and French is just constant practise over a longer period of time to learn vocab and grammar. English lit, I would revise reading the tests again and again until you know them inside out and just try and learn as many quotes - even if they're one word long each!

Quick Reply

Latest