The Student Room Group

Aston or Hull for psychology?

Hey guys!

THe time has come to make my firm/insurance decision, and typically I'm leaving it to the last minute! :smile: I am absolutely torn between Aston and Hull, as I adored both of them on the open days, so I suppose I am looking for a little advice from students of the unis and anyone who lives in Hull or Birmingham as to which is better!

Aston
Loved that it was all on campus, but in the city. I'm from a small-ish town, so it wouldn't be as massive a shock as going to a non-campus city university. Loved that there was an optional placement year, so may better my prospects if I were to decide to take on a nother psychology qualification after the initial degree. My only worry is that still, with it being a city, that it will be too much of a shock from leaving such a small town, with so little to do! The accommodation was pretty cool, didn't get to see Lakeside, but couldn't afford it anyway :tongue: The towers seemed really friendly, but the kitchens were pretty tiny for self-catering, although this wouldn't matter in the second/third years.

And my silly reasons, close to my aunt/uncle/cousins and it would be nice to see them more often. Also closer to home, which would be better for visiting/being visited by my boyfriend (I know this is a silly reason, but I guess I wouldn't feel so alone). However, they want ABB (I have BBCC at A-level, but am retaking one of my Cs) so going up two grades within two exams is a massive longshot, which I'm worried about not getting.

Hull
Absolutely loved the layout of the buildings, seemed such a community! The head of psychology was really honest and open about the department, and realistic about prospects and how well you have to do etc. Also liked that the first year counts toward the degree, so I would feel as though I'm actually working toward something, rather than inwardly knowing that even if I didn't work in the first year, I could try really hard in the next two and still come out alright. The accommodation also seemed like a friendly community, and although 'far' from the university, the distance is about the same as getting from my house to sixth form every day (which I walk) so it location isn't really a problem for me. Visited the city, which I really liked! A bit of a suprise as my yorkshire friends described it as 'scratty' and 'rubbish' and so on!

And my silly reasons. 3 and a half hours away from home = far away from boyfriend (will have been together 5 years when I go away, so it's not like some fleeting romance is affecting my decision- it's deep stuff, peeps! :p: ) However, my best friend may be going there to do the same course (wasn't planned, by the way!), and I kind of want a uni experience of my own, plus I'm scared we'll grow apart if we're living in eachother's pockets. (Plus I have an unconditional, so I wouldn't have to worry about exam results in August!)

Sorry that's been massive! So yes, I would really, really appreciate any help or avice you guys could give on which place sounds (or is by your experience) better than the other.

Thank you so much!

xx
Reply 1
Hey i think im doing the same as you?

I finished my A2's last year and I'm now doing an extra AS in Biology :biggrin:, I'm going to Kent to do Psychology with Clinical Psychology!
Reply 2
Ah what a coincidence! I thought there were sooo few people who actually *decided* to go back to sixth form! lol Us special people! Ahhh wow! I would've loved to do clinical psychology- so intriguing! What are you hoping to do with it?

xx
Reply 3
ermmm hopefully do a d.clinpsy after and become a doctor of clinical psychology! how about you?
Reply 4
I'd love to do the same thing, if the course was going really well. Which is where Aston would be better, 'cause I could do a clinical placement... oh decisions decisions! :smile: xx
pfft..aston is extremely reputable and definately underrated, wasn't it in the top 10 last year??
Reply 6
sorry to butt in, just wondered what a levels you all took, as im thinking of doing something similar to you lot in the future.

good luck with wherever you decide to go. id of thought with uni being quite big even if your friend went there it wouldnt mean you would see her ALL the time? and you would both make plenty of new friends anyway.
Reply 7
I hate to agree with nofo but Hull is a better respected university overall. Yeah Aston has a good business school, the rest aint great so yes, it has to be Hull.
Hull. Hull all the way, baby.
Reply 9
Yeah, Aston's a top 15 I think. Whereas Hull is like, 42 or something. But still, for the course their ratings are pretty much the same.

Both of them were such awesome places, but so different from eachother that I'm finding it quite hard to compare them!

Thanks for all the help so far guys :smile:

xx
Reply 10
anna_spanner89
pfft..aston is extremely reputable and definately underrated, wasn't it in the top 10 last year??

Err..... NO!!

From looking at your reasons I would go Aston. Hull is a lovely place and you would have a great time, but having read what your reasons are for not going there I wouldnt move that far away from home and a 5 year bf for my degree. If you can do long distance I guess it could work, wouldnt from personal experiance tho. And dont think its a silly reason for chosing a place, emotions are funny and powerful things at the best of times. Having said that, if you did want to start again with stuff, be your own person etc, maybe being away from home would help. Also, having a mate with you isnt nessisarily a bad thing. There were 6 of my year who went to my uni, its a bigish uni but still campus based, and I can easily go for weeks without seeing any of them. When I want to get in touch though, they are all acessable within about 10 minuets. Hull is a city uni and as a result its easier to lose people, you hit the town as a group then meet up with lots of people in one of the bigger clubs.

Take no notice of your Yorkshire mates, Hull has lovely people and on the whole is a lovely place. Most of the students I know there have a great time. Ive had a good few years there and still dont get too board during the hols when im home.
Cj-Tj
Err..... NO!!

From looking at your reasons I would go Aston. Hull is a lovely place and you would have a great time, but having read what your reasons are for not going there I wouldnt move that far away from home and a 5 year bf for my degree. If you can do long distance I guess it could work, wouldnt from personal experiance tho. And dont think its a silly reason for chosing a place, emotions are funny and powerful things at the best of times. Having said that, if you did want to start again with stuff, be your own person etc, maybe being away from home would help. Also, having a mate with you isnt nessisarily a bad thing. There were 6 of my year who went to my uni, its a bigish uni but still campus based, and I can easily go for weeks without seeing any of them. When I want to get in touch though, they are all acessable within about 10 minuets. Hull is a city uni and as a result its easier to lose people, you hit the town as a group then meet up with lots of people in one of the bigger clubs.

Take no notice of your Yorkshire mates, Hull has lovely people and on the whole is a lovely place. Most of the students I know there have a great time. Ive had a good few years there and still dont get too board during the hols when im home.

Excuse me, everyone i speak too about aston say it's soo underepresentated, ok so it was in the top 15 ( i was close) which is still brilliant for such a small and unknown university..then again i should expect this sort of view from tsr :frown:
Reply 12
everubody, and i mean EVERYBODY who does psych wants to become a clinical psychologist after.
Reply 13
anna_spanner89
Excuse me, everyone i speak too about aston say it's soo underepresentated, ok so it was in the top 15 ( i was close) which is still brilliant for such a small and unknown university..then again i should expect this sort of view from tsr :frown:

Nah, I just thought it would be bottom half on the table since i had never heard of it. And because I can rattle off alot of the top 10 from my head and it wast in any of those.
Cj-Tj
Nah, I just thought it would be bottom half on the table since i had never heard of it. And because I can rattle off alot of the top 10 from my head and it wast in any of those.

lol thats what everyone thinks..it really is underated, it's a brilliant universitiy, i didn't apply there as i wanted a larger campus but the teaching quality is exceptional
i do psychology at Aston :teeth: along with sociology though :p:

i cant say anything about Hull uni as ive never been there, but Aston's campus is extremely small in comparison to some other uni's so it wont be as big as shock to you when leaving a small town. Everything you need in Birmingham is pretty close as well coz brum city centre isnt that big.
As for the psychology course, its slightly different for me as i do combined honours and so dont do all the psych modules but so far i have really enjoyed this course. Developmental psych and cognitive psych are quite interesting, but i really liked the perspectives in psych module i did in the first term. There is quite a lot of work but not so much so that its too much, if that makes sense :p: also lecturers are quite helpful

hope that helps :hugs: let me know if you want to know anything else :smile:
Hey,

Another combined honours psychology person here! (Kitty_koo - I must be in your lectures lol, I'm first year CH psy person too!!)
I enjoy psychology at Aston, it's a lot more in depth than I expected it to be and sort of back to front to what you do at A level (ie getting a theory and then looking at research to back it up, rather than vice-versa - or that's what I found anyway!).

I couldn't see myself being at a different uni either. I love how everything at Aston is within a 5minute walk - library, main building (for teaching) accomodation, guild, shops, city centre. Birmingham itself is brill too - so much stuff going on compared to Nottingham where I'm from........ you'll NEVER get bored!

All the staff are really friendly and helpful if you've got a problem and I really like how small the uni is - I see someone I know virtually everyday just walking around campus, I don't know as I'd get this anywhere else. :smile:

Anyway good look with whatever you choose!
everubody, and i mean EVERYBODY who does psych wants to become a clinical psychologist after.

Just want to follow up this point.

Bear in mind, while a lot of people want to be a psychologist after they get their undergraduate degree statistics show only 15% of psychology graduates go onto becoming chartered (and that includes occupational, forensic etc psychologists, as well as clinical).

This isn't to dissuade anyone, but if you are thinking of following this career pathway remember the two golden rules

a) Get as much experience as soon as possible, and get varied experience.
b) Always have an escape route incase it doesn't work out.
Reply 18
2 things

When it comes to your reasons and going to Aston would be closer to home and family and the like, ask yourself do you want a university experience where you go home every weekend believe me go home for the weekend and I personally feel you miss out on a lot. For some people (such as myself) university is a time for gaining in independence and confidence as well as getting a degree. So you have to ask yourself which do you want the option where you can go home as often as you like or the one where it is still viable to go home but not too often.

Also in terms of the course it is really important to go where you feel most comfortable with the course (or at least I thinks so). From your original post it seems like that you were more taken by Hull in terms of the course than Aston, (but I could be reading this wrong). Also if you are interested in Clinical Hull is the only uni in the country that gives people from its undergrad course a chance to apply to its Clinical programme in 2nd year. So that may be worth considering.

As you may or may not have guessed i'm slightly biased I'm at Hull and love it, but it's not for everyone else we'd've taken over the world by now. LOL

Hope this helps in some way
D
p.s. If you want any info on Hull 1st year just ask I'll be happy to give it you
Reply 19
demullet
2 things

When it comes to your reasons and going to Aston would be closer to home and family and the like, ask yourself do you want a university experience where you go home every weekend believe me go home for the weekend and I personally feel you miss out on a lot. For some people (such as myself) university is a time for gaining in independence and confidence as well as getting a degree. So you have to ask yourself which do you want the option where you can go home as often as you like or the one where it is still viable to go home but not too often.

Also in terms of the course it is really important to go where you feel most comfortable with the course (or at least I thinks so). From your original post it seems like that you were more taken by Hull in terms of the course than Aston, (but I could be reading this wrong). Also if you are interested in Clinical Hull is the only uni in the country that gives people from its undergrad course a chance to apply to its Clinical programme in 2nd year. So that may be worth considering.

As you may or may not have guessed i'm slightly biased I'm at Hull and love it, but it's not for everyone else we'd've taken over the world by now. LOL

Hope this helps in some way
D
p.s. If you want any info on Hull 1st year just ask I'll be happy to give it you

Ah that's cool- thanks! I ended up accepting the unconditional from Hull :smile: Think I made the right decision in the end, for me.

To everyone- thanks for all your help :smile: I really appreciate it!

xx

Latest