The Student Room Group

Can i apply for a maintenance loan? (Current EU resident, UK passport)

Hi, so I’d like to move back to the uk permanently when I’m 18 and am slightly confused by the regulations when it comes to maintenance loans. I know I can apply for a full tuition loan but this one I’m not sure. I have a UK passport but I live in the EU with my mum, have done for almost seven years. My dad lives in the uk by himself and works there. Does anyone know if I’d be eligible for a maintenance loan?
Original post by russianunicorn
Hi, so I’d like to move back to the uk permanently when I’m 18 and am slightly confused by the regulations when it comes to maintenance loans. I know I can apply for a full tuition loan but this one I’m not sure. I have a UK passport but I live in the EU with my mum, have done for almost seven years. My dad lives in the uk by himself and works there. Does anyone know if I’d be eligible for a maintenance loan?

Hi there,

What sort of course are you looking to study? Also, have you lived in the UK at any point in the past?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Original post by SFE Graeme
Hi there,

What sort of course are you looking to study? Also, have you lived in the UK at any point in the past?

Warm regards,
Graeme

Hello,

It’s probably far too late to reply but I’ll bite the bullet. I lost my TSR password and have only just got around to resetting my account, life got in the way I suppose.

But I’m still planning on returning to the U.K. and am now looking into universities in more depth.

To answer your question, I’m looking to study English and possibly Creative Writing (I speak fluent English and it’s my first language) and I have lived in the U.K. in the past. I was born there, I am a British citizen and have a British passport, and I lived there until I was around ten years old, before moving.

I recognize that I’m ten months late but thank you for your reply, sorry it took so long to get back to you, and if you see this and could offer any advice that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Hello,

It’s probably far too late to reply but I’ll bite the bullet. I lost my TSR password and have only just got around to resetting my account, life got in the way I suppose.

But I’m still planning on returning to the U.K. and am now looking into universities in more depth.

To answer your question, I’m looking to study English and possibly Creative Writing (I speak fluent English and it’s my first language) and I have lived in the U.K. in the past. I was born there, I am a British citizen and have a British passport, and I lived there until I was around ten years old, before moving.

I recognize that I’m ten months late but thank you for your reply, sorry it took so long to get back to you, and if you see this and could offer any advice that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi

As a UK national, you have the right to roam so you can leave the UK and reside in Europe and return to receive funding.

This means that as a UK national you do not need to meet the 3 year residency criteria as long as you have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of your course. You may be asked to provide evidence to show you were living in the UK.
When will your course start?

Thanks, Isaac.
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for replying, that’s great news. I’ll be applying for my undergraduate course that will hopefully begin in 2020-2021, as this September I’ll be in the French equivalent of year 13 (I believe).

I completed primary school and passed my SAT’s (I even got accepted into the secondary school I would have attended had my family and I not moved). Would that evidence be sufficient or is there anything I might need to dig up?

Also, I’ve been looking into universities in Scotland and Ireland; do you know if those terms are the same?

Thank you so much for your help.
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for replying, that’s great news. I’ll be applying for my undergraduate course that will hopefully begin in 2020-2021, as this September I’ll be in the French equivalent of year 13 (I believe).

I completed primary school and passed my SAT’s (I even got accepted into the secondary school I would have attended had my family and I not moved). Would that evidence be sufficient or is there anything I might need to dig up?

Also, I’ve been looking into universities in Scotland and Ireland; do you know if those terms are the same?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi,

If you have evidence from primary school to show that you were resident in the UK before you moved to the EU, we can accept this to show you have been settled in the UK previously. In regards to universities in Scotland and Ireland as long as you move back to England before you decided to move to one of these countries for educational purposes, that would be fine.

Regards, Duncan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending