14-year-old black girl filmed being punched by police officers

Watch
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A video of a 14-year-old black girl being struck by police officers in America has surfaced, once again bringing the issue of police brutality and racial bias into the spotlight.

An unnamed teenager is shown in the video planted on the floor, surrounded by Coral Springs, Florida police officers. The incident, which happened on Thursday 18 October, sparked further conversations about the use of excessive force.

Numerous people criticised the officer's actions while also questioning what the girl had done to deserve this response from the police.

Read the full story here

What do you think?
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do I think? That’s why I stand by #Blacklivesmatter because of the way police especially treat black men and sometimes women. People still deny that black people are still being treated unfairly even with so much evidence. Thank god for technology because we can record everything and these white officers can’t deny a thing. Must be really hard living as a black person in America.
DailySauce
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Solidarity with #BLM movement!
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank her lucky stars she wasn’t shot.

Wait for all the facts before automatically condemning the officer, on face value it looks wrong.
CheeseManX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Commenting as a police officer;

Posting a very short clip of a long situation does not provide any context whatsoever. I've employed similar tactics in the past when necessary. I always completely justify my actions and act proportionately and appropriately. I treat every person the same, no matter what background.

That's why the bodycams were introduced, and that's why the bodycams continue to show that the police are doing their jobs properly and by the book.

Read the full statement from the police, and await the bodycam footage when it's released months down the line.

ImageCoral Springs Police

19 October at 15:38

There is a video that is circulating showing CSPD officers arresting a 14-year old female at the Coral Square Mall on October 18, 2018. As with all social media posts, it shows only the end of the story, not the incident in its entirety which led up to the arrest.
Officers were called to the mall by security about unruly teens, who had been harassing patrons and causing a disturbance. Upon meeting with security, an officer was stopped by a mother, who indicated her 5-year old child was shoved to the ground by one of the teens. In addition, mall security indicated one of the female teens (arrested) was seen striking another teen patron. Security asked that CSPD officers issue a trespass warning and bar the teens from the mall, which they did.
Prior to leaving the mall, officers received another call regarding a separate incident. At that time the teens who had been barred had returned to the mall. One of the male teens was taken into custody without incident. As a result, the female teen seen in the video, began cursing, attempting to incite the other teens. Officers attempted to take her into custody, at which time she began to fight and resist arrest. Due to her stature and aggressive behavior, officers took her to the ground attempting to get her to release her fists. As seen in the video she resisted arrest, and in order to have her to comply she was struck in the side to release her clenched fists - she was then handcuffed. After she was handcuffed, and officers attempted to place her in the patrol car, she violently kicked one of the officers. She was transported to the police department, identified and transported to JAC.
The Coral Springs Police Department believes in transparency. It is important for people to have all of the facts before rushing to judgment of an officer’s actions when faced with calls for service involving violent suspects - regardless of their age or gender.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
A video of a 14-year-old black girl being struck by police officers in America has surfaced, once again bringing the issue of police brutality and racial bias into the spotlight.

An unnamed teenager is shown in the video planted on the floor, surrounded by Coral Springs, Florida police officers. The incident, which happened on Thursday 18 October, sparked further conversations about the use of excessive force.

Numerous people criticised the officer's actions while also questioning what the girl had done to deserve this response from the police.

Read the full story here

What do you think?
(Original post by Rainfall)
What do I think? That’s why I stand by #Blacklivesmatter because of the way police especially treat black men and sometimes women. People still deny that black people are still being treated unfairly even with so much evidence. Thank god for technology because we can record everything and these white officers can’t deny a thing. Must be really hard living as a black person in America.
(Original post by DailySauce)
Solidarity with #BLM movement!
What makes you think she was hit because of her skin colour?

What I see is two cops holding down someone who is probably a 14-year-old black girl (easily verified so I'll go with the journalist's claims), and one hitting her as she resisted arrest by hiding her arms from being handcuffed. This isn't great, but with only the biased short clip we don't know what the police thought she had done, or even if there were others with her whose escape she was aiding by resiting arrest.

Obviously this is worth investigating, but unless she's done nothing that was worth being arrested for, she needs to submit to the arrest. The cops should have a good reason for hitting her, and resisting arrest to the extent that she was in the video doesn't quite cut it.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn't look great. But one incident isn't enough to say 'this is evidence of discrimination against black peope' you need statistics for that. And a hint, before you go find them.. they may challenge your views of police violence in America somewhat.

They are now where near as clear and simple as: 'American police treat black people worse than white people'
CheeseManX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Get someone to lie on their front, put their arms under their chest and clench their fists whilst tensing body.

Then, try and get their arms free.

It is very, very, very difficult. Even with children. She isn't exactly a small 14 year old either.

Think of the options for removing arms to safely arrest someone. Two tactical punches to the side, whilst it appears brutal on a 10 second video clip, is a safe and effective method which causes little to no injury. Try and think of other options - there aren't many. As soon as the punch connected, she released her arms. Job done. She then went on to again assault officers before going in the patrol car.

Complete and utter lack of respect. Legitimate and justified arrest, she will be prosecuted for it in a Court of law. Bodycam will prove the officers did nothing wrong. Case closed.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s impossible to reach a sound conclusion from a short clip.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any black person gets arrested or hurt for any reason "OH MY GOD POLICE BRUTALITY, LETS HAVE ANOTHER RIOT"
Any white person gets arrested or hurt for any reason *Crickets chirp*
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no logic or rationality in automatically assuming she was punched because of her skin colour. There's no point even bringing skin colour into it unless there is actually some evidence that it's relevant. But the press will always emphasise race because they know it will make the story more popular.

The other week, a police officer in the UK also punched a 14-year-old kid. There was even a thread on here about it. That kid wasn't black. But now we have a black kid, so suddenly it's racism?

We don't even know if this is a case of overt police brutality. We don't see the whole encounter. There's limited context. This is often what we get with viral videos like this - the conclusion, but not what led up to it.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Any black person gets arrested or hurt for any reason "OH MY GOD POLICE BRUTALITY, LETS HAVE ANOTHER RIOT"
Any white person gets arrested or hurt for any reason *Crickets chirp*
You’ll be laughed out the news office.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Spoiler:
Show
Do me a favour and shut the **** up
Mature.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Mature.
And I should care, because? Lmao
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh we do love a bit of race baiting round here don't we? 🙂👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.27%
Less motivated (189)
68.73%

Watched Threads