Genetics121
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello I'm stuck between the two.
I've done work experience for pharmacy and it seems a very chilled out average 9-5 job which I don't mind but from every source I find that the future of pharmacy is not looking good at all and that finding a job is very hard both in a big chain community pharmacist and a hospital pharmacist. The salary is also not anything special.

As for accounting and finance the job prospects seem to be very good and the salary I'm not too sure about (as it varies on many websites/sources) but I haven't got a clue what accounting and finance would entail at university. I've also heard that getting into a somewhat relevant firm is hard too and so I am stuck between the two.

Salary and job prospects are my priority
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there!

First off all when it comes to picking from two rather different career choices, you would have to see which subjects you have more of a passion for i.e. biology/chemistry for pharmacy or maths for accounting/finance. Secondly you would need to think about what kind of job you would like from the future, if you prefer the 9-5 life then perhaps pharmacy is for you but if you dont mind working around the clock then accounting/finance would be suited for you.

Both careers have great career prospects; pharmacy is very diverse and there is a wide range of things you could go into with it. Futhermore there is an ever growing need for pharmacists not only in the UK but abroad as well. The same can be said for accounting an finance- a diverse career available and a high demand for work personnel.

If you are unsure about what an accounting and finance degree would entail then why not go to university open days of your choice and speak to current lecturers and students who can give you an insight to how the course is. Work experience is also a must in helping you decide where you see yourself!

When it comes down to the salary aspects of these jobs; they are both careers which have the opportunity for you to develop and go higher, obviously the higher you go the higher the salary. Again, you would have to think about where you want to go and how far you would like to go and then you would have a better insight into what is preferable for yourself!

Hope that helps!

Reem
JKM26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Genetics121)
Hello I'm stuck between the two.
I've done work experience for pharmacy and it seems a very chilled out average 9-5 job which I don't mind but from every source I find that the future of pharmacy is not looking good at all and that finding a job is very hard both in a big chain community pharmacist and a hospital pharmacist. The salary is also not anything special.

As for accounting and finance the job prospects seem to be very good and the salary I'm not too sure about (as it varies on many websites/sources) but I haven't got a clue what accounting and finance would entail at university. I've also heard that getting into a somewhat relevant firm is hard too and so I am stuck between the two.

Salary and job prospects are my priority
Same here, except I haven't done any pharmacy work experience, but have volunteered at a hospital, my GP and local care home.

Personally I am leaning towards Accounting and Finance because I prefer maths over bio n chem. The only thing is that you have to take an exam, called the ACCA to further in the career. There are also other exams such as the FCCA and more, which will help you to advance in your field. Heres a website about the ACCA:
https://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/qua.../overview.html

For pharmacy, you do have to take an exam at the end of the course too. Its the pre-registration one, so they are similar in that aspect. Also pharmacy has their jobs in bands so you would have to wait until you could get like the band 6/7/8 jobs. I think after taking the pre-registration exam you are automatically a band 5, but don't take my word for it.

I think after the pre-reg the starting salary for pharmacy is like £22-28k, something like that. Not too sure about accounting, but, from one website ive used, the salary projectory is quite high for A&F.

Good luck for your decision!!
LastDiscovery
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (266)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (62)
13.42%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.39%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.87%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.33%

Watched Threads