The_Architect
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey

I work weekends at Primark, and I need to make sense of how much I've earned for two particular months. On my payslips, my pay is broken up into two types: Basic Pay and Holiday Pay. The problem is that I don't recall taking holidays during these months, but I do recall being sick for a day or weekend here and there. Is it possible that what's called Holiday Pay on my pay slips is actually sick pay? For anyone else that works at Primark - do your pay slips also use the term "holiday pay" for sick pay?
MattR_0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I checked my payslips when I took a sick day in December last and nothing was noted on my payslip
The_Architect
Rep:
?
(Original post by MattR_0)
I checked my payslips when I took a sick day in December last and nothing was noted on my payslip
Did you just take the one sick day?
MattR_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The_Architect)
Did you just take the one sick day?
Yeah
The_Architect
Rep:
?
Yeah
That makes sense then. I was reading the handbook and it says that both statutory sick pay (and I think company sick pay, too, which is an extra type of sick pay) starts from (or after, possibly) the third day of sickness. If that's the case then you wouldn't get paid for the odd sick day here and there, in which case there's nothing to show up on the payslip for sick days. Looks like in my case I did take days off as holidays in those months and just forgot about them, so in short, "Holiday pay" on a pay slip actually means holiday pay.

Thanks for your help.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ask your manager who can explain why it's there and what it means
MattR_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That makes sense then. I was reading the handbook and it says that both statutory sick pay (and I think company sick pay, too, which is an extra type of sick pay) starts from (or after, possibly) the third day of sickness. If that's the case then you wouldn't get paid for the odd sick day here and there, in which case there's nothing to show up on the payslip for sick days. Looks like in my case I did take days off as holidays in those months and just forgot about them, so in short, "Holiday pay" on a pay slip actually means holiday pay.

Thanks for your help.
Oh interesting. I lost my handbook pretty early on so didn't know that. I did a bit of overtime as well during that period so couldn't work out the hours paid if they were for normal work or sick pay.
The_Architect
Rep:
?
Oh interesting. I lost my handbook pretty early on so didn't know that. I did a bit of overtime as well during that period so couldn't work out the hours paid if they were for normal work or sick pay.
I never even got given one, just found it as a PDF in My Workday
Sara16x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone work at ASDA, or know anyone working at ASDA?? Need to ask some questions
MattR_0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sara16x)
Anyone work at ASDA, or know anyone working at ASDA?? Need to ask some questions
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1444691
Sara16x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks!!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks for your help.
It is common practice for managers to put you in for holidays when you're off sick. It's called being nice.
The_Architect
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
It is common practice for managers to put you in for holidays when you're off sick. It's called being nice.
Are you being serious? I've never heard of this happening at Primark, and I can't see it being the case.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you being serious? I've never heard of this happening at Primark, and I can't see it being the case.
I mean it is common across all employers (particularly line managers), rather than Primark specifically.
Brooklynokami
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Primark won’t mark you as holidays while being sick. I’ve been off sick for 4 weeks and you have to be with them for 6 months to be eligible for statutory sick pay and they encourage you to use your holidays in order to get paid. If you go onto the workday app, then click book time off, you get shown a calendar which you choose days to book off. You can look back previously and if you had a holiday, it’ll be marked with a little briefcase.

hope that kinda helps.
Brooklynokami
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They encouraged me to get it off as holidays but they declined my requests, so they can’t do it for you essentially.
gemmastewart
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ngl I’d be miffed if they used my holidays on a sick day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.6%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (136)
28.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise