Dynamical Systems: Stability of Fixed Points

Watch
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Just to make sure, am I able to knock parts (a) and (b) down with one function; i.e. f(x) = 2-e^{1-x}, where the fixed point is x=1.

This point is both an attractor and repeller since starting with x_0 > 1 will always take you to the fixed point no matter how far off you start, while with x_0 < 1 you will always repel away from the fixed point no matter how close or far you start as well.

Diagram:

Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would have thought not; don't you require an attractor to have a basin of attraction that contains an open neighbourhood?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gregorius)
I would have thought not; don't you require an attractor to have a basin of attraction that contains an open neighbourhood?
Would be my gut reaction as well, you'd need it to attract / diverge on both sides. When the function has a unity gradient, its generally classified as neither.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Hm, the definition I was given makes no mention of that.

Def (attractor): A fixed point x^{*} is called an attractor if it attracts orbit with initial x_0 close to x^{*}. In other words, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta >0 such that |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon.

Spoiler:
Show

mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Hm, the definition I was given makes no mention of that.

Def (attractor): A fixed point x^{*} is called an attractor if it attracts orbit with initial x_0 close to x^{*}. In other words, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta >0 such that |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon.

Spoiler:
Show

It would only attract on one side though (as you point out in the OP), not all initial points in a ball around the "attractor".
RDKGames
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
It would only attract on one side though (as you point out in the OP), not all initial points in a ball around the "attractor".
So you're saying that the given definition is incorrect?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you're saying that the given definition is incorrect?
The definition sounds fine to me. It would have to attract on both sides to satisfy the defn?
If all the curves have to have a gradient of 1 at the fixed point, your example sounds like c)
Can you not create two antisymmetric curves (about 1) by cutting your example into two, where one will attract and the other diverge?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
The definition sounds fine to me. It would have to attract on both sides to satisfy the defn?
But I don't see where in the definition it requires that it must attract on both sides of the fixed point.
It just says 'close to x^{*}' but then being as close as we want from only one side is sufficient to satisfy this.

If all the curves have to have a gradient of 1 at the fixed point, your example sounds like c)
Can you not create two antisymmetric curves (about 1) by cutting your example into two, where one will attract and the other diverge?
But ok, in the case that we need a neighbourhood around x^{*} to attract then indeed I can just split the current curve so that:

a) [attractor] can have

f(x) = \begin{cases} 2-e^{\left(1-x\right)}, & x \geq 1 \\ 1-\ln\left(2-x\right), & x < 1

and looks like
Spoiler:
Show

b) [repeller] can have

f(x) = \begin{cases} 1-\ln\left(2-x\right), & x \geq 1 \\ 2-e^{\left(1-x\right)}, & x < 1

and looks like
Spoiler:
Show

and so c) is obviously fit by my original example in OP.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But I don't see where in the definition it requires that it must attract on both sides of the fixed point.
It just says 'close to x^{*}' but then being as close as we want from only one side is sufficient to satisfy this.

But ok, in the case that we need a neighbourhood around x^{*} to attract then indeed I can just split the current curve so that:

a) [attractor] can have

f(x) = \begin{cases} 2-e^{\left(1-x\right)}, & x \geq 1 \\ 1-\ln\left(2-x\right), & x < 1

and looks like
Spoiler:
Show

b) [repeller] can have

f(x) = \begin{cases} 1-\ln\left(2-x\right), & x \geq 1 \\ 2-e^{\left(1-x\right)}, & x < 1

and looks like
Spoiler:
Show

and so c) is obviously fit by my original example in OP.
Looks good to me.

Edit: For c) in your original example (didn't read your reply properly)

A fixed point x^{*} is called an attractor if it attracts orbit with initial x_0 close to x^{*}. In other words, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta >0 such that |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon.

You can pick an x_0 close to x* and make it diverge. The sign of x_0-x^{*} is irrelevant in the definition, but in your example it is relevant?
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
 |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon

Note carefully the modulus signs.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Looks good to me.

Edit: For c) in your original example (didn't read your reply properly)

A fixed point x^{*} is called an attractor if it attracts orbit with initial x_0 close to x^{*}. In other words, \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta >0 such that |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon.

You can pick an x_0 close to x* and make it diverge. The sign of x_0-x^{*} is irrelevant in the definition, but in your example it is relevant?
 |x_0-x^{*}| < \delta \implies |f^{n}(x_0)-x^{*}| < \epsilon

Note carefully the modulus signs.
Ok thanks, I was overlooking and misunderstanding that a bit there for a moment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.49%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise