Do you still ask for your parent's permission at 18?

Watch
applesandalevels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm turning 18 in 9 days which is weird I still feel like a child but anyway my parents are pretty different, my mum's chill and basically let me do whatever I want as long as I do well in school. Whereas my dad can be very strict at times so I never really did as many things as a child/teenager and he normally has the final say-perks of strict parent rip. But I'm turning 18 soon and I want to be able to travel to different parts of the UK, go to concerts, sleepovers, seshes etc. not in excess I have my A Levels coming up soon (ahh)but I was just wondering what you guys did at 18 when it comes to permission, do you still ask?, do you have rules? or do you do wtv you want?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you live in their hosue there are still things you need permission for, or at least in theory. In reality, I was doing what I wanted provided it didn;t put anybody out.
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
their house, their rules. usually I just let my parents know I'm doing something, and if they aren't ok with it then we will chat about it, but for certain things I will ask permission, depends on what it is
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't have to ask. I had to inform them where I was though. But only if I was doing things like going away for a few days.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, yeah. You may be turning 18 soon but you still live in their house so have to abide by their rules. 18 may legally class someone as an adult but in reality you are very much still a child. As long as you're not unreasonable and at least keep them updated regarding your whereabouts, I'm sure they'll be okay.
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm 25 and still ask my parents advice on things, and quite often follow it. Only in that as I've grown up, I realise that my parents are usually right and I've come to respect that.
If you want to show your parents you're a grown up, I think it's much better to be open with them and respect their opinion, rather than take your new found adult-freedom by the horns and do all the things you know they don't like you doing.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
No. I cant ever remember asking permission, but then I was sensible. Its always best to inform them if you are staying out late at night.
I would think at 18 you can make your own choices, but its a matter of consideration to inform them if it might affect them.
Some parents are overprotective or they have difficulty accepting you are a grown up or there are strong cultural issues. Whilst you are still under their roof then they get to call some shots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
18.94%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.5%

Watched Threads