jsjsjsjs333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
An engine and a train weigh 250 tonnes. The engine exerts a pull of 1.5x10 to the 5 (sorry, can't write it in the format) Newtons. The resistance to motion is 1/100 of the weight. The train starts from rest and accelerated uniformly until it reaches a speed of 45km/h. At this point, brakes are applies until the train stops. Find the time take for the train to stop.

Please help - I've tried a couple of times but I can't see how the parts of the equation link (e.g I got the first acceleration as 0.49, and the deceleration as 0.59, but don't see how they link and am unsure if they're right - also, are you meant to use suvat about the train first accelerating?) Not too sure what to do.

Thank you
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jsjsjsjs333)
An engine and a train weigh 250 tonnes. The engine exerts a pull of 1.5x10 to the 5 (sorry, can't write it in the format) Newtons. The resistance to motion is 1/100 of the weight. The train starts from rest and accelerated uniformly until it reaches a speed of 45km/h. At this point, brakes are applies until the train stops. Find the time take for the train to stop.

Please help - I've tried a couple of times but I can't see how the parts of the equation link (e.g I got the first acceleration as 0.49, and the deceleration as 0.59, but don't see how they link and am unsure if they're right - also, are you meant to use suvat about the train first accelerating?) Not too sure what to do.

Thank you
Could you post your working?
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Yeah sure, give me a min
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
For the first part:

A driving force of 1.5x10 to the 5, being pulled backwards by the resistance to motion, so an overall force of:
1.5x10 to the 5 - 2500 = 147500 N

Then, I thought 147500= ma, and then a = 0.59.

I wasn't quite sure what to do next, because it looked like I should have used suvat, (e.g it tells you it started from rest and what it ended on, which was giving enough info for suvat). I didn't know the use in finding out the distance or time, so carried on and kinda just left this part behind...

Then, the car starts to brake. The braking force I worked out as 25,000, and the resistance to motion continues to act in the same direction, so:
147,500-25,000= 122500.

Again I used
122500 = ma
so a = 0.49

Then I used SUVAT,

and said
initial v = 12.5 (45km/h in m/s)
final v = 0
a = 0.49

and then used v=u+at to find t
0=12.5+0.49t
-12.5=0.49t
t=-25.5

But the time should't be negative and it's wrong anyways, so I'm not sure what to do. I knew the method was wrong because I just abandoned the first bit of info, but I can't figure out how they link.

Could you give me some tips?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For the first part:

A driving force of 1.5x10 to the 5, being pulled backwards by the resistance to motion, so an overall force of:
1.5x10 to the 5 - 2500 = 147500 N
Could you give me some tips?
What should the answer be?
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
What should the answer be?
26.2 seconds
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
26.2 seconds
It will be decelerating in the braking part of the motion - how did you get your value?
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
It will be decelerating in the braking part of the motion - how did you get your value?
I tried to find the total forces acting on it, so did the engine force - resistance to motion - braking force. Then said that the answer to that was equal to mass x acceleration, and divided by mass. Is this right?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tried to find the total forces acting on it, so did the engine force - resistance to motion - braking force. Then said that the answer to that was equal to mass x acceleration, and divided by mass. Is this right?
There is no force driving the train forward - what is g in this question?
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
There is no force driving the train forward - what is g in this question?
Is there not a force from the engine? g is 9.8
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there not a force from the engine? g is 9.8
It's braking ...
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
It's braking ...
Oh god of course
jsjsjsjs333
Rep:
?
It's braking ...
How do you then find the force as it moves forward? As in when it starts braking, because they'll still be force forwards? Or do you not need this?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you then find the force as it moves forward? As in when it starts braking, because they'll still be force forwards? Or do you not need this?
The resistive force is 1/100 of the weight but the weight is given in tonnes not newtons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (368)
67.15%
No (180)
32.85%

Watched Threads