DionWyn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I'm in third year at law school. I am not sure what I want to do after I finish my degree. I'm not too sure on the idea of going into the traditional law career routes (i.e solicitor or barrister). I also have no interest in doing a masters course after my degree finishes. I would appreciate your advice on any career suggestions you could offer me. Thanks in advance.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DionWyn)
Hello,

I'm in third year at law school. I am not sure what I want to do after I finish my degree. I'm not too sure on the idea of going into the traditional law career routes (i.e solicitor or barrister). I also have no interest in doing a masters course after my degree finishes. I would appreciate your advice on any career suggestions you could offer me. Thanks in advance.
Broadly, what sector are you interested in? The alternative is for someone to list every grad job in the UK that doesn't require quantitative skills.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make an appointment with your uni's career service. They will likely have details and brochures of various grad schemes that are available for application. Just looking through what is available is sometimes a great way to find inspiration. Do this as early as possible

Also make sure you head to any career events. Depending on your uni, there's usually tons of these across the academic year. It's a chance to talk to employer reps directly. There are so many different avenues that you can take, just make the absolute most of the services that your uni has to offer to help you decide. It's probably the best constructive route, if you really have no idea what interests you yet.
DionWyn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Broadly, what sector are you interested in? The alternative is for someone to list every grad job in the UK that doesn't require quantitative skills.
Thanks for your message. This is the problem, I have no idea what I want to do after my degree. I'm not enjoying the course very much. What I want to know is what types of careers people from my course generally go for after their degrees finish.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your message. This is the problem, I have no idea what I want to do after my degree. I'm not enjoying the course very much. What I want to know is what types of careers people from my course generally go for after their degrees finish.
You might want to ask your careers service for a breakdown - I've got no doubt that they collect this information where they can. Some universities may also put degree destinations online, along with 'sample roles' of what certain graduates may be doing.

From my personal experience, I've seen lots of law grads go into other professional services (investment banking, consultancy, etc.), but also more areas such as NGOs and tech startups (which aren't a 'natural fit' for a law grad). You may see graduates going into the government sector.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

Careers where I have come across lots of law graduates:

HR
Procurement
Commercial management/ quantity surveying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?