First year grades not counted?

Watch
Caitlin912912
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Are there any unis in the UK that offer the first year of study as a grade free year? I know some other universities do that where they offer a certain number of subjects that don't count towards our overall GPA???
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Caitlin912912)
Are there any unis in the UK that offer the first year of study as a grade free year? I know some other universities do that where they offer a certain number of subjects that don't count towards our overall GPA???
First-year doesn't normally count towards your final degree classification if that's what you're asking.
Caitlin912912
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
First-year doesn't normally count towards your final degree classification if that's what you're asking.
really??? at all UK unis?
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
really??? at all UK unis?
I believe so.

The marks are still important though - they appear on your transcript/HEAR document but they don't count towards your final, overall grade.
Caitlin912912
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I believe so.

The marks are still important though - they appear on your transcript/HEAR document but they don't count towards your final, overall grade.
So you graduate with a higher GPA at the end of your degree if you don't do as well in your first year? Do employers really look at academic transcript in the UK though? Or is it more just degree itself and GPA
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you graduate with a higher GPA at the end of your degree if you don't do as well in your first year? Do employers really look at academic transcript in the UK though? Or is it more just degree itself and GPA
First year grades don't count towards your overall classification. I'm not familiar with what GPA is. When I say classification I mean grades like

First
2:1
2:2
3rd

i.e. the British system

Your transcript is vital for applying for things pre-graduation e.g. internships etc. Employers will probably still look at it even after you graduate to see how you've done over a longer period of time.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
Yes, because your first year grades are typically not counted.

Employers are not likely to ask for transcripts but they might ask you your degree classification (UK) or GPA (most of the world). If they're more serious about it they might ask you for a percentage (UK).It's also common that employers don't actually ask about your result at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed