The Student Room Group

First year grades not counted?

Are there any unis in the UK that offer the first year of study as a grade free year? I know some other universities do that where they offer a certain number of subjects that don't count towards our overall GPA???
Original post by Caitlin912912
Are there any unis in the UK that offer the first year of study as a grade free year? I know some other universities do that where they offer a certain number of subjects that don't count towards our overall GPA???

First-year doesn't normally count towards your final degree classification if that's what you're asking.
Original post by Blue_Cow
First-year doesn't normally count towards your final degree classification if that's what you're asking.

really??? at all UK unis?
really??? at all UK unis?

I believe so.

The marks are still important though - they appear on your transcript/HEAR document but they don't count towards your final, overall grade.
Original post by Blue_Cow
I believe so.

The marks are still important though - they appear on your transcript/HEAR document but they don't count towards your final, overall grade.

So you graduate with a higher GPA at the end of your degree if you don't do as well in your first year? Do employers really look at academic transcript in the UK though? Or is it more just degree itself and GPA
So you graduate with a higher GPA at the end of your degree if you don't do as well in your first year? Do employers really look at academic transcript in the UK though? Or is it more just degree itself and GPA

First year grades don't count towards your overall classification. I'm not familiar with what GPA is. When I say classification I mean grades like

First
2:1
2:2
3rd

i.e. the British system

Your transcript is vital for applying for things pre-graduation e.g. internships etc. Employers will probably still look at it even after you graduate to see how you've done over a longer period of time.

Yes, because your first year grades are typically not counted.

Employers are not likely to ask for transcripts but they might ask you your degree classification (UK) or GPA (most of the world). If they're more serious about it they might ask you for a percentage (UK).It's also common that employers don't actually ask about your result at all.

Quick Reply

Latest