The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No doubt you'd feel pretty smug; until you were inevitably pipped to the post by someone with a First in 'Mathematology and Applied Numberwang' from the 'University of Oxbridge'.
Reply 2
Just a 2:1, why not be more sneaky and put down you got a 1st.
Reply 3
ltcomdax
I got a 2:2 in history, not good I know.
So my plan is to walk into a job agency (say Reed) and hand in my CV.
My question is; do these agencies actually check the veracity of your grades? What if I was to sneakily put a 2:1...?

If anything, they look at work experience before grades.
Yeah, if I was going to risk any jobs I got by lying, I'd at least increase my grade to something more impressive, rather than the minimum standard required.
Sorry to hijack thread but do any jobs you apply for really check your grades? How do they do it? I applied for a part time receptionist job a week a go, have an interview tomz, & said my A level result was an A (it was a C) because i got an AB for other subjects and i thought it looked bad if IT was my weakest :s-smilie: How would they find out?
Reply 6
I'm fairly sure they don't check grades (and possibly can't). They could in theory request to see your certificates but...they're not going to.

Anyway, I don't know how much they really care. My friend got a first from Warwick, went to a temping agency and was told "so, your main asset is your admin and filing experience..."
Well they can ask you to bring along a copy of your certificate to the interview. I don't know if they can or do check with the University or exam board itself though.
Reply 8
Yes they can check. Bear in mind that although the agency probably wont check, the employer you hope to get a job with through them might very well want to!
Reply 9
Yes they can check, they might not but they can. Most universities have a team responsible for confirming degrees awarded who could be contacted by your employer/agency.

Be aware that the consequences can be serious if your uncovered, you could be sued by your employer and your university could withdraw your degree completely. Both of which are unlikely in the case of some random temping job but still possible.
Reply 10
ttx
Yes they can check, they might not but they can. Most universities have a team responsible for confirming degrees awarded who could be contacted by your employer/agency.

Be aware that the consequences can be serious if your uncovered, you could be sued by your employer and your university could withdraw your degree completely. Both of which are unlikely in the case of some random temping job but still possible.

Really? hmm a university can withdraw a degree under there circumstances? This seems like a rather draconian policy, can anyone else confirm this?
If you walk into Reed and lie about your grades, they would probably never find out. That said, since they will give you data entry jobs and you will be earing £6 per hour, they don't care.

Seriously... temping agencies are no real place for graduates. They are okay whilst you look for other jobs, but don't pin your hopes on getting a good job through them.
what about IB internships or something similar?
Reply 13
drive like june
what about IB internships or something similar?

You will get caught, certainly at grad level and probably at intern level as well. Pretty much every IB now uses a third-party background checking service (Powerchex seems to be popular at the moment).

Latest

Trending

Trending