as
Last edited by lucafusco; 1 year ago
Waves.123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
heyyyy. I'll help!
I got top in the country in edexcel IGCSE English language (old spec)

basically, here's how i structure my answer (i got 12/12 in the 12 marker in my exam)

first, I give a small intro and preview some of the points I'm gonna expand on later in the passage. make sure u establish the premise of ur argument in the introduction so the examiner knows what to expect, it makes his job easier, and so ur marks better.

then my first paragraph I analyse the diction/ word choice of the passage. I pick out four to three relevant examples from the passages that are most relevant to the question and analyse them in detail making sure to make consistent links with the question set.

then I analyse the sentence structure of the passage if it is a significant feature (if not, for eg in explorers or boys it's not, I leave it out). sentence structure basically means I analyse the varying sentence length in the passage. for instance long sentences to describe and give detail and explain the writers views. short sentences give inarguable facts and figures and create excitement and suspense. if u see a unique sentence structure, be sure to include it in ur analysis, examiners just love it for some reason, especially edexcel.

thirdly, I wrote about the overall structure of the passage and it's layout and and infographics or structural features such as paragraph length or if it is written in chronological order or not.

finally I write a small paragraph I like to call the "other techniques para" here I Include all the other small literary techniques; the list is endless:
similes
metaphors
power of three
rhetorical questions
stream of consciousness
grammar and unique style elements
ellipses
speech
imagery
allusion
examples
quotes
... u get the idea

finally, I end with a concise conclusion that sums up the major points of my argument and then leave the examiner with some sort of insight or personal response and perspective which has to be unique.
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Waves.123)
heyyyy. I'll help!
I got top in the country in edexcel IGCSE English language (old spec)

basically, here's how i structure my answer (i got 12/12 in the 12 marker in my exam)

first, I give a small intro and preview some of the points I'm gonna expand on later in the passage. make sure u establish the premise of ur argument in the introduction so the examiner knows what to expect, it makes his job easier, and so ur marks better.

then my first paragraph I analyse the diction/ word choice of the passage. I pick out four to three relevant examples from the passages that are most relevant to the question and analyse them in detail making sure to make consistent links with the question set.

then I analyse the sentence structure of the passage if it is a significant feature (if not, for eg in explorers or boys it's not, I leave it out). sentence structure basically means I analyse the varying sentence length in the passage. for instance long sentences to describe and give detail and explain the writers views. short sentences give inarguable facts and figures and create excitement and suspense. if u see a unique sentence structure, be sure to include it in ur analysis, examiners just love it for some reason, especially edexcel.

thirdly, I wrote about the overall structure of the passage and it's layout and and infographics or structural features such as paragraph length or if it is written in chronological order or not.

finally I write a small paragraph I like to call the "other techniques para" here I Include all the other small literary techniques; the list is endless:
similes
metaphors
power of three
rhetorical questions
stream of consciousness
grammar and unique style elements
ellipses
speech
imagery
allusion
examples
quotes
... u get the idea

finally, I end with a concise conclusion that sums up the major points of my argument and then leave the examiner with some sort of insight or personal response and perspective which has to be unique.
which type of essay do u think is the easiest to write among descriptive, narrative and argumentative.
and do u have any tips for argumentative, narrative and descriptive esssay.
thank u!
Waves.123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cieloceleste)
which type of essay do u think is the easiest to write among descriptive, narrative and argumentative.
and do u have any tips for argumentative, narrative and descriptive esssay.
thank u!
I'm not a very creative person so narratives are usually extremely difficult for me. I usually do argumentative and if I rly don't have a choice then descriptive.

im good at argumentative essay. my tips for these are to keep it concise and precise yet still powerful. argumentative essays that go on and on become redundant. my essays go up to Maxx 4 pages no more. usually around 3. I use short sentences for impact at the end of paragraphs. I make up statistics. I use rhetorical q. I use strong vocabulary and I make sure my paragraphs transition well. I usually start with a short intro that leaves a big impact on the examiner with strong words etc so he immediately thinks the essay will be good. I give a powerful conclusion also.
sometimes I even makeup quotes and wrote them down.
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Waves.123)
I'm not a very creative person so narratives are usually extremely difficult for me. I usually do argumentative and if I rly don't have a choice then descriptive.

im good at argumentative essay. my tips for these are to keep it concise and precise yet still powerful. argumentative essays that go on and on become redundant. my essays go up to Maxx 4 pages no more. usually around 3. I use short sentences for impact at the end of paragraphs. I make up statistics. I use rhetorical q. I use strong vocabulary and I make sure my paragraphs transition well. I usually start with a short intro that leaves a big impact on the examiner with strong words etc so he immediately thinks the essay will be good. I give a powerful conclusion also.
sometimes I even makeup quotes and wrote them down.
thank u sooo much for ur tips!
Waves.123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cieloceleste)
thank u sooo much for ur tips!
no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads