He’s 24, she’s 18 - can a relationship work? Watch

Jammie_x
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
As it says in the title. He’s 24, she’s 18. Can this relationship really work? Personally I think he needs someone closer to his own age - you think be at different stages of life and I can definitely tell a maturity difference if I know 18 year olds since I am also 24.

Opinions?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I would say the age gap is fine but ideally she'd need to be a bit older. 21 and 27, say, rather than 18 and 24.
Jammie_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I would say the age gap is fine but ideally she'd need to be a bit older. 21 and 27, say, rather than 18 and 24.
Agreed! I don’t usually have much of a problem with age gaps but do think it is a bit extreme at 18 and 24 then in regards to 21 and 27 like you stated - more maturity there as well
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
It's fine. Why are people so hung up about small age gaps between two adults?
DubDub2017
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just our logarithmetic brains unfortunately.

There is some kind of formula for figuring out if a relationship can be deemed as weird.

I'm pretty sure your dateable minimum age is equal to your age halfed, plus7.

For example, I'm 19, with that, half my age is 10 (rounded up), add 7 is 17.

So for this guy, he should be looking at someone aged 19 as a minimum.

I disagree with all that though. Maturity isn't something affected by age. You get immature adults and mature kids. After your past puberty, it's just the state of mind that affects maturity

You say you notice a maturity difference between yourself and 18 year olds, why do you know 18 year olds out of curiosity?
Jammie_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by DubDub2017)
Just our logarithmetic brains unfortunately.

There is some kind of formula for figuring out if a relationship can be deemed as weird.

I'm pretty sure your dateable minimum age is equal to your age halfed, plus7.

For example, I'm 19, with that, half my age is 10 (rounded up), add 7 is 17.

So for this guy, he should be looking at someone aged 19 as a minimum.

I disagree with all that though. Maturity isn't something affected by age. You get immature adults and mature kids. After your past puberty, it's just the state of mind that affects maturity

You say you notice a maturity difference between yourself and 18 year olds, why do you know 18 year olds out of curiosity?
It was when I was at uni I knew 18 year olds - a uni is filled by a majority of them. That is true guess you can get mature 18 year olds but trust me this one isn’t but he isn’t mature neither. I think it’s the fact as well that she only turned 18 in August so still pretty young
DubDub2017
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Jammie_x)
It was when I was at uni I knew 18 year olds - a uni is filled by a majority of them. That is true guess you can get mature 18 year olds but trust me this one isn’t but he isn’t mature neither. I think it’s the fact as well that she only turned 18 in August so still pretty young
You'll probably find most of the people who were 18 you talked to were quite outgoing, and as such, much more... Not sure how to put it nicely, but there is probably a correlation between immaturity and going out drinking when you should be revising.

I could be making a bad assumption, but if you talked to the quiet students (which you might of) who focused on their work, you'd probably find that you would consider them as being a lot more mature.

If the fella isn't immature and he isn't mature, just in the middle, then at 18 the woman should be the same stage in life. If she's immature at 18, then they won't work, he'll find her too childish, and she'll find him too boring. Relationships will work based on these things, it starts getting weird when a mature person starts looking for an immature person. Perhaps a midlife crisis deal, perhaps trying to breathe life into their dull lives, who knows.

I think we should encourage happiness of all forms though, if his relationship doesn't go well, then it's an experience for him and a lesson to learn. If it does go well, perhaps a life long partner found.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads