LSE BSc Finance/Accounting and Finance with German Abitur of 1,3

Watch
username4315574
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Dear all,

I was looking to apply to LSE for the BSc Finance and Accounting and Finance program (to two courses). Currently, I am visiting a target school in Germany and will probably complete my Abitur with an average of 1,3. Do perhaps any other Germans/Austrians/Swiss nationals know if it is possible to get accepted with such an average?

I've done two finance internships, have been trading for quite some time, and have attended a couple of finance workshops.

Cheers!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/in...-pages/germany

You can see on that page Abitur 1.3 is considered by LSE equivalent to A*AA at A-level, compared to A&Fs entry criteria for A-level students of AAA (Abitur 1.4 by LSE's metric), so you certainly exceed the minimum requirements, although that isn't a guarantee.

I probably wouldn't suggest applying to two courses at LSE - they tend to make offers to related programmes if you "miss" the one you apply to anyway (as a consolation prize) if you are a strong applicant. Besides that they put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement and the relevance of it to the degree subject being applied to (and as such, applying to A&F without mentioning accounting, or to Finance with mentioning it, might be seen as unfocused) so it would probably be better to focus on one individual programme and tailor your PS to that.

I've moved this thread to the LSE section, so hopefully current/former students and applicants can see it and offer any advice as well
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you looked at Cass Business School for A&F and Finance?
safrirons
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/in...-pages/germany

You can see on that page Abitur 1.3 is considered by LSE equivalent to A*AA at A-level, compared to A&Fs entry criteria for A-level students of AAA (Abitur 1.4 by LSE's metric), so you certainly exceed the minimum requirements, although that isn't a guarantee.

I probably wouldn't suggest applying to two courses at LSE - they tend to make offers to related programmes if you "miss" the one you apply to anyway (as a consolation prize) if you are a strong applicant. Besides that they put a lot of emphasis on the personal statement and the relevance of it to the degree subject being applied to (and as such, applying to A&F without mentioning accounting, or to Finance with mentioning it, might be seen as unfocused) so it would probably be better to focus on one individual programme and tailor your PS to that.
Are there any examples of or website links that show LSE offering different courses if the applicant missed the intended main one?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by safrirons)
Are there any examples of or website links that show LSE offering different courses if the applicant missed the intended main one?
Not any official ones I'm aware of, that comment is based off a lot of threads made on here indicating as such. Have a look through the LSE applicant threads from this/previous years perhaps?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by safrirons)
Hello, I'm a current LSE student.

I would recommend applying to just one LSE course. LSE never make more than one offer to a student in a single application cycle, so if you apply for two courses they will look at your personal statement and subjects, decide which course they are most suited to, and instantly reject you for the other one. It's no advantage and a bit of a waste of a UCAS choice - you'd be better off just making sure your personal statement is tailored to the course you really want.

And regarding LSE making offers for different courses to the one applied to - this does happen. For example, at LSE the Politics course is less competitive than the Politics and International Relations course: about a 30% offer rate compared to an 8% offer rate. Every now and then, if LSE thinks that an applicant's personal statement isn't strong enough on IR to get a place on Politics & IR, but overall they have really good grades and a good personal statement for politics, then LSE makes them an offer for politics instead. You'll see this happening on previous years' application threads.
MAERFI
Badges: 4
Report 1 year ago
What is a target school in Germany? Were top investment banks, consultancies or law firms recruiting at your high school? I'm German as well but I have never heard of such an institution. If you mean that you attended a good private school it just shows that you are privileged which rather puts you at a disadvantage than helping your application because it made performing well significantly easier for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads