The Student Room Group

getting rid of an indian accent

i think i am having problems in interviews due to my indian accent, i think i may not be speaking clearly enough

my background: i grew up in india, then when i was around 11, my family moved to Scotland. i am 21 now.

i applied for medicine last cycle, got 3 interviews and then rejected from all of them. this was surprising to me since the offer rate after interviews at each of these universities was ~65%. so overall, i had ~80% chance (i think) of making it into at least one university.

i am in my masters year now, and i have started applying for grad jobs, and applying for medicine again. i really dont want to repeat the mistakes i made last year
Your accent shouldn't be the reason why you are rejected. Do you believe you're a bit dramatic? Be proud of your accent and where you are from. You shouldn't change yourself for others.
I can totally see why you would say that, but that's not what I meant. I think my speech becomes unclear, partly due to my Indian accent.

I want to know how I can improve my speech
Original post by singhaman
I can totally see why you would say that, but that's not what I meant. I think my speech becomes unclear, partly due to my Indian accent.

I want to know how I can improve my speech

I doubt they rejected you for your accent, maybe something else but anyways to improve your english you will have talk in english but for the accent it is pretty hard to change. I came to this country when I turned 10 and since tehn my english was great like I got B in GCSE and stuff but my accent was not so great like I coudnt pronounce the T words properly like i had to say those word make sound with F. Even now I cant do it lool but it doesnt matter. Plus I live in England and the Scottish accent is pretty hard.
As an Indian who was born in India but raised in Canada for 15 years, I was also interviewed for medicine last year and I honestly believe that the best way to get "rid" of the accent during interviews was to speak slower and clearer than I normally would.. For me I used that technique in job interviews and research interviews and landed positions that I was previously getting rejected for lol.

Honestly keep practicing with your friends and family, try to do all your practice questions by repeating these questions as if you were in the test scenario (with an English accent). I would even read my textbooks out loud to help me get better at my fake accent lol.

Another tip I found useful was to watch a bunch of YouTubers doing practice interview questions, and I would repeat the questions and answers exactly how they would say it - to get a better grasp of their accent!

Hope these help, with three interviews last year I am sure you'll crush it this year!! Don't give up hope :smile:
Original post by singhaman
i think i am having problems in interviews due to my indian accent, i think i may not be speaking clearly enough

my background: i grew up in india, then when i was around 11, my family moved to Scotland. i am 21 now.

i applied for medicine last cycle, got 3 interviews and then rejected from all of them. this was surprising to me since the offer rate after interviews at each of these universities was ~65%. so overall, i had ~80% chance (i think) of making it into at least one university.

i am in my masters year now, and i have started applying for grad jobs, and applying for medicine again. i really dont want to repeat the mistakes i made last year

Definitely won't be Indian accent. You will have Indian mixed with Scottish which is so cute. I have heard this many times in Scotland. As previous posters said it is probably because you are speaking too fast. Slow down. And is it a Glasgow accent because that can sometimes be hard to understand. My parents came from Glasgow so I know....

Also I was brought up in Lancashire with a very northern accent. When I moved South I found people made judgements about me because of the way I spoke. Very Coronation street. I slowly got rid of my accent by listening to home counties accents and now people cannot place me. It does come out though when I get animated.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending