English Cambridge 2019 application thread Watch

lunaclub
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by khairah)
University choices: Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester, Edinburgh (applied for English & History there + offers from all except waiting on Edinburgh)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Literature, History & Film Studies
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS (if any): AAA
GCSE grades: 8 A*, 2A's
College (+reasons): Gonville & Caius because it is medival, beautiful and takes a radical approach to literature.
Why English in Cam, not Oxford?: Oxford has **** time period & is too traditional.
How's Elat: Elat was amazing, did 0 practice papers but did a lot of research etc at cam summer school. Compared Herrick & Woolfe with notions of gender, entrapment & boundaries.

Interviews: Had two at Gonville & Caius. My first was on two extracts which I had to write about then discuss quickfire with my interviewer. Went moderately well but I didn't enjoy it like I usually do. Second interview was personal statement based. It developed like a conversation & I got asked about histiography and much broader philosophical questions surrounding literature. Went fantastic.

Feeling: Pretty good. I hit loads of contextual flags and I think I'm pretty up to scratch. I don't care if I don't get in as I prefer Southampton but would be lovely.
Hiya, when you say write about do you mean in an essay or just analyse the two extracts via annotations etc.?
khairah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lunaclub)
Hiya, when you say write about do you mean in an essay or just analyse the two extracts via annotations etc.?
So I was given 30 mins to read two extracts and complete three ''written excerises" so neither annotation not quite essay questions. They were short questions on specific features of the extracts to be used as discussion points.
shenners
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by khairah)
University choices: Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester, Edinburgh (applied for English & History there + offers from all except waiting on Edinburgh)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Literature, History & Film Studies
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS (if any): AAA
GCSE grades: 8 A*, 2A's
College (+reasons): Gonville & Caius because it is medival, beautiful and takes a radical approach to literature.
Why English in Cam, not Oxford?: Oxford has **** time period & is too traditional.
How's Elat: Elat was amazing, did 0 practice papers but did a lot of research etc at cam summer school. Compared Herrick & Woolfe with notions of gender, entrapment & boundaries.

Interviews: Had two at Gonville & Caius. My first was on two extracts which I had to write about then discuss quickfire with my interviewer. Went moderately well but I didn't enjoy it like I usually do. Second interview was personal statement based. It developed like a conversation & I got asked about histiography and much broader philosophical questions surrounding literature. Went fantastic.

Feeling: Pretty good. I hit loads of contextual flags and I think I'm pretty up to scratch. I don't care if I don't get in as I prefer Southampton but would be lovely.
CONGRATS! well done on surviving the interview and good luck for jan! x
shenners
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how have everyone's interviews been going ? hope everyone feels ok about them - I've got mine next week x
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sturner17)
Hey I’m sophie,
Uni choices: Cam, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, York
Currently studying: English lit, history, art (A* EPQ)
Predicted: A* A A
Gcse grades: 6A* 5A
College: Pembroke, so pretty and the people were really nice, great location and has good drama
Why cam? Loads of my family live there and so have grown up with the Cambridge/oxford rivalry, I prefer the chronological nature of the course and the slightly less formal approach (don’t have to wear gowns in exams) + (In my opinion) definitely a prettier city!!!
Elat: done 10 past papers but still feeling a bit shaky about time management
ayy I did English at Pem, good luck!! Hope you get in

Also if you're interviewed by Mark Wormald, asking about the fishing equipment in his room is the gateway to the most bizarre conversation you'll ever have should you be so inclined
cabbageslaw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just finished my interview at Girton, and I was really surprised that the extracts they gave us were pretty easy (I was expecting them to give me Beowulf)! We ran out of time and didn't even discuss my written work, but when it comes to philosophical discourse on literature I kind of had a bit of a struggle cuz they fired at me a plethora of questions and I was a bit disoriented
shenners
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
guys do we think its fatal to not get to the end of an unseen poem in an interview? feel like I seriously botched that ugh x
cabbageslaw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by shenners)
guys do we think its fatal to not get to the end of an unseen poem in an interview? feel like I seriously botched that ugh x
what do u mean by 'not getting to the end' of the poem tho as in you've run out of time?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Parliament
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shenners)
One of the earliest things you learn in your first year at Cambridge is not to think about poetry this way; you should focus in on important bits of the poem which support your argument rather than moving through it narratorially, trying to "explain" each bit. Don't worry about it!
shenners
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cabbageslaw)
what do u mean by 'not getting to the end' of the poem tho as in you've run out of time?
as in we went through it from beginning to end and we only got half way through before moving on..
shenners
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
updates? I was lucky enough to receive an offer from murray edwards ! hope it went well for you all x
32145L
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was lucky enough to receive an offer from Kings! Sooo unexpected! Checked my ELAT score and it was very underwhelming so I’m not sure which other part of my application was particularly strong x
32145L
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Is everyone’s requirements for an A* in English specifically?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (133)